What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Disney 100 Years Anniversary Editions (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Text  Description automatically generated

CELEBRATE 100 MAGICAL YEARS OF DISNEY WITH

THESE SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY EDITIONS!

A SELECTION OF BELOVED TITLES TO BE

RE-RELEASED IN 2023

MANY AVAILABLE WITH EXCLUSIVE BEST BUY STEELBOOK® DESIGNS AND WALMART ENAMEL PINS

A picture containing text, different, gallery, room  Description automatically generated

BURBANK, Calif. (February 16, 2023)
– Disney announced today a special series of anniversary re-releases of some of the most beloved films from the Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm studios as part of Disney's 100th anniversary celebration.

A selection of titles will be released nationwide in special platinum-style collectible O-sleeves. There will also be numerous retail exclusives, with Best Buy offering special SteelBooks of select titles and Walmart offering exclusive collectible pins on all Disney100 animated titles.

Currently available:

February 7:

Encanto SteelBook, Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story, Moana, Frozen, The Little Mermaid and Mickey & Minnie 10 Classic Shorts – Volume 1

Upcoming releases:

February 27:

The Aristocats, The Jungle Book, Zootopia, Tangled, Frozen II, Sleeping Beauty, Lady and The Tramp, Wreck-It Ralph, Robin Hood and 101 Dalmatians

May 2:

Star Wars: A New Hope SteelBook, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back SteelBook and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi SteelBook

June 6:

Coco SteelBook, Toy Story SteelBook and Cars SteelBook

June 13:

Finding Nemo, Coco, Brave, Cars, Up, The Incredibles and Monsters, Inc.

June 27:

Mickey & Friends 10 Classic Shorts – Volume 2

August 1:

Cinderella 4K UHD SteelBook, Beauty and The Beast SteelBook and Frozen SteelBook

September 5:

Iron Man SteelBook

October 3:

The Little Mermaid SteelBook, The Lion King SteelBook, Moana SteelBook and Aladdin SteelBook

October 17:

The Lion King, Aladdin, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Fox and the Hound, Cinderella, Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs and Alice In Wonderland

This will be the first time that Cinderella will be available on 4K Ultra HD disc.

Disney100_BATB_WMT_US_BD_BeautyShot-wPIN_6-75.png
1676574197817.png

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
No Mary Poppins? A very important film in Disney history.

We've already been talking about these in the Disney Movie Club thread before this one was created. As I pointed out there, these are just new slipcovers (or steelbooks) holding the existing releases.

Little Mermaid 100 slipcover.jpeg

Frozen 100 slipcover.jpeg

The exception to this is Cinderella, which is being upgraded to 4K for the first time. So while I agree with you that Mary Poppins is an important film, its exclusion here doesn't really mean anything. The only upgrade it could possibly get from the original release is the addition of 4K. Unless they want to do that, any reissue would be the same edition as has been on the market since 2013 anyway.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
October 17:
The Fox and the Hound

This one is interesting to me. The current Blu-ray release of The Fox and the Hound combines it with its unfortunate direct-to-video cheapquel on a single disc. Logic would say that this is just a new slipcover on the old disc like the rest. But the press release doesn't actually say that The Fox and the Hound II will be included.

In order to drop the cheapquel, they would have to author a new disc to get rid of it. As I said, they don't seem to be authoring new discs for these. But I would love to be able to get The Fox and the Hound on Blu-ray without having to accept the cheapquel into my collection as well.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
At least confirmation that Cinderella 4K will be released wide at some point.

If that means the DMC exclusive window is 4 months, that's a big lead.

August 1:

Cinderella 4K UHD SteelBook

October 17:

Cinderella

It is interesting that Cinderella has two different release dates here and they only specify UHD next to the steelbook version. This makes me wonder if the steelbook is the exclusive way to get the UHD outside of the movie club and the later release in October is just a reissue of the currently-available Blu-ray. I have no confirmation of this and want to be clear that I'm just speculating. But Disney recently did that with Strange World, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Obviously we are just in February, however it is interesting that the announcement goes through October with nothing announced for November and December, presumably their biggest months.

I wonder if, as with last year's "surprise" Wall-E Criterion release, there will be something special during those peak months. I'd LOVE to see a release of Fantasia, either from Disney or Criterion.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'd LOVE to see a release of Fantasia, either from Disney or Criterion.

Fantasia is currently available on Blu-ray via the Disney Movie Club, bundled with Fantasia 2000 and a Mickey shorts disc.

If you're talking about 4K, i suspect that future Walt-era films on that format will probably depend on how well Cinderella sells and whether Disney is satisfied with those numbers.

Andrew Stanton was very clear when the Criterion version of WALL-E came out that it was a one off he pursued because he loves Criterion and wanted to be part of the collection.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Like to see a new transfer of The Black Hole. The Blu-ray from 2019 was not good looking at all and no extras.
I thought it looked quite good. There's some room for improvement, but it looks very much like I remember it looking in the cinema. It's so optical-heavy that it's never going to look all that great.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Poppins will hopefully get the ROYAL treatment 2024 - 4K? First time in theatres in decades? Ms Andrews PR? These releases are just repackaged lameness NOTHING really new

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I find it amusing that a company that made over six billion at the box office last year is celebrating the centenary of their studio with repackaging decade-old discs.

Count me in for Cinderella on UHD if it's properly done (like the gorgeous Dolby Vision 4K masters of The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron on Disney Plus).

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Poppins will hopefully get the ROYAL treatment 2024 - 4K? First time in theatres in decades? Ms Andrews PR? These releases are just repackaged lameness NOTHING really new

Cinderella will hopefully be using the new transfer sampled on the Berlinale website linked below (which looks to be a substantial improvement over the Blu-ray transfer). But otherwise, yeah, it looks like most of them are repackagings, which is rather pitiful, for want of a better word.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Disney will get my money when they decide to release grainy versions of their 35mm classic animation films!

Are they still changing the color pallette as well? I remember having a conversation with a renowned animator who had warned me years ago that Disney was aiming to make their classic animation films "more pretty."

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Are they still changing the color pallette as well? I remember having a conversation with a renowned animator who had warned me years ago that Disney was aiming to make their classic animation films "more pretty."
The clip of Cinderella looks pretty but it looks waxy NO detail wonder what Walt would think

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks