What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Disney 100 Years Anniversary Editions (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Double edged sword here MGM was ruined by Kerkorian and they were getting ready to dump films in the ocean till Eastman House stepped in then Turner saved the films for his plans NOW WB's is taking very good care of the films I thank them for that - just imagine if bezos got them with his now owning MGM would they be ever on video again?

Oz would never not be made available

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
WB has made it clear they've owned Oz and Wind since they acquired them in 1998. If they could they'd most likely remove the iconic MGM Leo roar and replace it with their shield instead.
I don’t know how you can say that when Warner has undergone so much turnover in their executive ranks since 1998. Furthermore, George F. has too much respect for film history to advocate such a move and as I stated all of his bosses from 1998 are now gone.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I don’t know how you can say that when Warner has undergone so much turnover in their executive ranks since 1998. Furthermore, George F. has too much respect for film history to advocate such a move and as I stated all of his bosses from 1998 are now gone.
SPOT ON - MR F has been the one positive with the MGM/Turner/WB library for 30 years he has done more for film preservation and saved what now 4 studios film legacies?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Changing the MGM logos to Warner shields? That would be blasphemy. No intelligent person in charge of the library would consider doing such a thing -- especially George.

I remember talking to George a few years back about the original studio logos from the late 60s/early 70s being replaced with more modern iterations. I believe the replace logo was as depicted below. Been a long time since I remember the specifics.

Turns out the replacements were due to licensing issues at the time

wb.png

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Is there no dedicated thread to discuss the 4K release of Cinderella??? Bill Hunt just posted his review and says all the sins of the past have been forgiven as original grain is now restored.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I thought even with compression, the 4K digital looked beautiful on my OLED.
Yeah, my digital copy is the old master, as Disney is keeping the old listing separate so that repurchase is necessary. I’m really looking forward to purchase the 4K digital when it goes on sale.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, my digital copy is the old master, as Disney is keeping the old listing separate so that repurchase is necessary. I’m really looking forward to purchase the 4K digital when it goes on sale.
When did you purchase it? I purchased the iTunes HD digital back in 2021, and it upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Best Buy has posted the artwork for, in my opinion, the ugliest Disney 100 steelbook yet.

View attachment 188636
Eiger has failed so far this posted today --- Streaming is fizzling the parks are too expensive meanwhile the vaults stay locked up this and Zazlav shows you the debt these studios built up will crush them

ESPN let 20 go today
Disney Stock Downgraded Amid Concerns Streaming Growth Has Stalled, Weak Theme Park Attendance
So the parks are not the answer streaming is not the answer and their horrible releases are not the answer the answer? Utilize all assets

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Best Buy has posted the artwork for, in my opinion, the ugliest Disney 100 steelbook yet.

View attachment 188636

Nothing quite like celebrating your studio's 100th anniversary by putting your logo on films released by Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox.

Of course, this is the same studio that "celebrated" the 50th anniversary of The Sword in the Stone by pressing more copies of their garbage disc from a decade ago while having a 4K Dolby Vision master ready to go for over a year.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Nothing quite like celebrating your studio's 100th anniversary by putting your logo on films released by Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox.

The Fox catalog has been under Disney's ownership for four years. Since they are celebrating 100 years of the company's existence, the Fox catalog falls under that.

Same with Warner releasing films as part of their 100th anniversary celebration that were originally made by MGM or RKO.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Fox catalog has been under Disney's ownership for four years. Since they are celebrating 100 years of the company's existence, the Fox catalog falls under that.

Same with Warner releasing films as part of their 100th anniversary celebration that were originally made by MGM or RKO.
The difference is that Warner is exercising some restraint - I've only seen actual Warner titles showcased for individual releases like Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden, Rio Bravo, The Maltese Falcon, etc. Outside box sets, which are a different animal. And at least for these individual releases, the "Warner 100" logo is a paper/cardboard thing that's not part of the actual case.

I'm aware of ownership. It's just that Disney embossing their anniversary logo onto the steelbooks for Star Wars OT and the first Iron Man evokes a mental picture of a cattle rancher branding his herd with the same iron. Two monumental, epoch-defining works of cinema reduced to just another item on the inventory list for the Walt Disney Company.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Does anyone have information regarding the 100th Anniversary series re-issue of SWORD IN THE STONE? Has the studio enough balls to go back and release it sans the horrifying DNR smear of the earlier edition? It apparently won't have a 4K release (yet), but, as long as it looks as it did last time around, nor should it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks