What's new

Robin Hood: Special Edition (2 Disc Set) (1 Viewer)

Andy_MT

Second Unit
at least it doesn't come in a crapper case.

but still, a very sad day if this is true. is this the end of warners' dominance of consistent quality DVDs ? i hope not. glad i didn't pre-order "once upon a time in america". think i'll wait to see how this turns out. i'll no doubt buy both releases, but if they're not good, it'll be later rather than sooner.

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
So, the isolated score music...is it exactly the same cues that are on the CD? Is there no extra music at all? this was one of my main reasons for getting this.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I don't care that they did not include the Bryan Adams video. That sappy song was the main thing I did not like about this movie. I even thought Costner's performance was pretty good, and loved Rickman and Freeman.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry guys, but I stand by my "travesty" remark regarding the transfer. Is it the worst I've ever seen? Hell no. But with the razor-sharp transfers and restoration jobs that we've been treated to over the last couple of years, PoT is way behind the times. And after the competent (if not overly spectacular) look of older films that Warner has re-issued, this new transfer looks like utter crap IMHO. Again, strong words, but I've got movies in my collection that are twice as old as RH:PoT and yet the transfers look twice as good. Many of these titles will have had restoration, yes, but at least Warner could've struck a new print or found a pristine IP for this new release. But the print they've used is so devoid of fine detail and awash with grain and print damage that it's uncomfortable to watch. I half expected reel markers to keep popping up in the right corner of the frame.

And yes, it would've been hard to create a technically proficient transfer from a print like this, but they don't even give it a go, as some bad haloing does it's best to ruin the image further. For a good example, check out the outline of Marion's cloak as she bids farewell to Robin by the lake in chapter 26. Simply put, the look of RH:PoT is compounded by fault after fault and I cannot find any merit to it. The unimaginative extras are the nail in this set's coffin - but as this is the best we're gonna get for a good long while, it's still worth picking up.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
To say I'm not disappointed would be a lie. I'll still buy it, but my expectations have just fallen in the toilet. Oh well.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The DTS is nice to hear about, but the poor video is chapping my ass right about now. I cant wait to get this and see for myself.
Really cannot wait for the 5.1 score though. I just wish it was with the movie itself, and not a seperate feature.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I reckon you'll probably see many reviews like the one in the link above. That guy seems to be so happy that it's anamorphic that he doesn't really recount the transfer's failings. Like I said above, it's not the worst transfer you'll ever see, and many will be quite pleased with it. But this is 2003, and the RH:PoT picture is simply not up to current standards IMO.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Well, considering the movie is 12 years old, do you really expect it to be up to current standards?

Just because they remaster it doesn't mean it's going to be of the same video and audio quality of today's movie releases.

Heck, I'm happy enough that it's in anamorphic and it's not a flipper!!!

Sure, I would love for the thing to be of outstanding video and audio quality but I'm sure not expecting it.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Sure, I would love for the thing to be of outstanding video and audio quality but I'm sure not expecting it.
but you should be jeff. this is warner. they've done great work on much older material (one flew over the cuckoos nest, charlie & the chocolate factory, the mission to name a few). this film is only 12 years old. i see no reason why it shouldn't be up to their usual standards. especially since it's a special edition, so it's obviously been deemed important enough.

warner have set their standards high, and we expect them to retain this level. we won't except anything less. well, ok we probably will, but not without a heavy session of throwing toys out of pram!

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
warner have set their standards high, and we expect them to retain this level. we won't except anything less. well, ok we probably will, but not without a heavy session of throwing toys out of pram!
[Geoff picks his rattle up and begins to suck his thumb] :D

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
This movie was really grainy in the theater,on laserdisc and on the 1st DVD why would it be any different on this DVD version? Ive seen it on all three. Im also happy that its anamorphic and not a flipper. Its my wife favorite movie and we will be picking it up. Jeremy, T2 looked better in the theater,on laserdisc and on DVD so thats not a real fair comparisome.

Elvie

Stunt Coordinator
I'll just be happy to get rid of the flipper version. I just enjoy watching Rickman in this one :D

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's it. This release isn't up to par, so let's scrap it. Stop all shipping; recall all copies that were sent out. Everyone has to suffer with the original flipper disc because this release apparently has so many faults. :rolleyes

Come on, guys. I'm at least grateful that Warner is releasing a better version than what we already have. If they start releasing three or four different versions, then I'll start getting pissed. :)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's it. This release isn't up to par, so let's scrap it. Stop all shipping; recall all copies that were sent out. Everyone has to suffer with the original flipper disc because this release apparently has so many faults.
Fine with me :)

I sold my flipper awhile ago because I never watched it because it was a flipper. Now to hear that the new version has "issues" oh well, less money I got to waste on something that I won't be happy with and end up putting on ebay in a month.

I always say if they aren't going to do it right then why bother. They are just going to annoy people and lose more sales in the future because of it.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I always say if they aren't going to do it right then why bother.
Again, what's "right"? What's "right" to us is generally going to be vastly different than what's "right" to the average DVD viewer. This is evident just on the continual bitching that we see on HTF when a DVD is (horrors!) not released in DTS even though most DVD owners probably don't even know what DTS is. :)

This special edition is still vastly superior to the original in many ways. I'm at least grateful that Warner didn't decide to let this languish in the vaults. What this SE has over the original release will definitely make it worthwhile to the vast majority of RH:PoT fans.

It could be worse, you know. It could be owned by MGM who based on their recent streak would likely decide to release it only in full frame. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks