What's new

Robin Hood: Special Edition (2 Disc Set) (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
Even though it does have a few flaws, I love this movie. It'll surely be worth the wait! :)

P and SO

Agent
Real Name
Truls
Hmm...according to those screenshots, it looks like the "isolated score" is on disc two, and is simply the CD score in 5.1.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Hmm...according to those screenshots, it looks like the "isolated score" is on disc two, and is simply the CD score in 5.1.
All in all, Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves Special Edition is a very lazy set, especially following the goodness that was Morgan Creek's own True Romance:SE. I expected this set to at least measure up to the standard of the TR:SE dvd, but I was way off the mark. Both picture and sound have noticable flaws, and the majority of the extras are so lightweight that they are almost not worth bothering with. But, like I said, I haven't gone through the commentaries completely, so they may yet save this set from utter mediocrity. As it stands though, the set is a crushing disappointment for me.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Right Stuff could have done with a bit more digital clean-up to remove dirt. Other than that, the transfer is quite nice.

So... Giant's transfer has its failings; Prince Of Thieves is now said to be a "travesty"; The Right Stuff isn't as clean as previous Warner 2-Disc SEs - Amadeus, Cuckoo's Nest, Singin' In The Rain etc.

So that just leaves Once Upon A Time In America. Which I should have in my greasy mits on tuesday...

Gordy

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Gordon, I was gonna put a line in my previous post about OUATIA but I didn't want to tempt fate - looks as if you've done that for me! :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Prince Of Thieves is now said to be a "travesty"
It's one guy's opinion - can we wait for more until we make general declarations? Actually, there aren't many reviews of ANY of these titles yet - there's nowhere near enough to attempt to form a consensus...

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
There are a lot of moments in the transfer that look REALLLY bad, but then there are others that look alright. It's not a good transfer, but it's not a "travesty".

I listened to the Duo Kevin commentary last night, and you can tell that they are still not on the best of terms...there are some quiet moments here and there where they just don't say anything.

Listening to the other commentary right now, and it isn't edited together although Slater and Freeman don't speak too much. The writers dominate the track (so far...)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
This is really disappointing to hear. Hopefully some other reviews pop up over the week. Robin Hoood is one of my more highly-anticipated titles. :frowning:

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I do agree with the Dolby mix, the crackling is a bit annoying although it is a little tricky to hear unless you're looking for it.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Really small point...

I'm totally surprised that they didn't put the Bryan Adams MUSIC VIDEO on there. Who cares about a stupid live clip??? The video actually had him on set and had clips of the film intertwined.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I've also heard that the The Right Stuff transfer was bad, but then the DVDFile gave it their highest rating for video quality. I will wait for the reviews and other opinions before I decide if it is really a "travesty."

Rob T

Screenwriter
I'm totally surprised that they didn't put the Bryan Adams MUSIC VIDEO on there. Who cares about a stupid live clip??? The video actually had him on set and had clips of the film intertwined.
I would have liked the music video.
it's at the end of the movie, but the credits are running over it.:frowning:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It's one guy's opinion - can we wait for more until we make general declarations? Actually, there aren't many reviews of ANY of these titles yet - there's nowhere near enough to attempt to form a consensus...
I wasn't making a general declaration, Colin. I'm justing pointing out that this transfer is said not of high-quality - something I have come to expect from Warner.

Gordy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I've also heard that the The Right Stuff transfer was bad, but then the DVDFile gave it their highest rating for video quality. I will wait for the reviews and other opinions before I decide if it is really a "travesty."
Okay, first off, I didn't say that The Right Stuff has a "bad" transfer - I said it was "quite nice", in fact. But the fact remains: there is some annoying dirt in certain scenes, and previous Warner 2-disc SEs are spotless. I was expecting a great transfer here, what was delivered was a good transfer.

The word "travesty" is a bit stong - I didn't use it of course, but for a 1991 film from Warner's being touted as a "2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION", the word that probably should have been typed after the colon should have at least been "brilliant" - Unforgiven (1992) looks "brilliant".

Sorry for being a negative ninny! :D

Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks