What's new

what's up with spielberg (1 Viewer)

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
seems to be on the sci-fi tip...anymore "serious" pieces in the works? anymore of his traditional "adventure" flicks? I would love to see him remake The Ten Commandments! anyways just wishful thinking:D

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
there are no "serious" movies in the works but I hear that he is touching up the Indy trillogy for a possible tearetical or dvd release

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Are you saying that science-fiction (what you call "sci-fi") can't be a serious subject matter? Spielberg's "A.I." was the most adult, serious film of his career. I hope he makes more "serious" films like it...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Let's see...last 4 films were:

Minority Report

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

Saving Private Ryan

Amistad

I don't know how much more serious you want his films to get....

Bruce

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Spielberg IS working on TWO "serious" films.
One is called Catch Me If You Can with Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio. Here is the basic plot:
"A con-artist impersonating a doctor, a stockbroker, a professor and a pilot becomes the youngest man on the FBI's most wanted list and is tracked down by a determined agent."
His other "serious" film is called Ghost Soldiers. It's another World War II film and Tom Cruise is supposed to be the lead actor. Here is the plot:
"Set during World War II, a group of elite U.S. Rangers risk their lives to rescue Americans being held at a Japanese POW camp in the Phillipines."
Both films are based on true stories.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Ghost Soldiers" is tentatively set for a holiday 2003 release, just in time for Oscar consideration. Don't be too surprised if there is a very aggressive campaign for this one, especially pushing Cruise for Best Actor.

"Catch Me if You Can" will also be a film heavily hyped for Oscar as well. Spielberg is still flexing his "serious film" muscles. Despite being a sci-fi film, "A.I." was easily one of the best (and most serious) movies of last year.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Filming won't being on "Ghost Soldiers" until Spielberg finishes work on "Catch Me if You Can".

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
the guys sure stays busy...

and yes i know A.i. was "serious", I was referring to his stories on historical realities....

DanR

Supporting Actor
You guys sure Ghost Soldiers is his next project after Catch Me If You Can? He's been doing films in "bunches" over the last 10 years. After AI, Minority Report, and Catch Me If You Can, I think the guy is due for a "break". He's also recently said that he will turn his attention in earnest to getting Indiana Jones 4 to the bigscreen after he's done with Catch Me If You Can. So, I'm thinking he's going to go take a break from directing, and turn his attention to developing a few projects for lensing in late 2003 or 2004.

Regards,

Dan

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Ghost Soldiers" was recently optioned and, according to Variety, Tom Cruise wants to put this one on the fast-track to release. Indiana Jones IV is supposed to get done before producer George Lucas begins filming Episode III. Lucas plans to begin shooting Episode III in the summer of 2003, if that's the case than Spielberg could end up doing both Indy IV and "Ghost Soldiers" before summer 2003. The guy did shoot "A.I." and "Minority Report" back to back in the space of a year.

He can do it, but as Dan has pointed out, Spielberg likes to take long breaks every now and then. Filming on "Catch Me if You Can" will be completed by this summer, it'll be interesting to see what The Berg does next. Will he jump into either Indy IV or "Ghost Soldiers" or will he take a little break?

Tim RH

Second Unit
By the way, Spielberg kind of already did remake THE TEN COMMANDMENTS - his company, DreamWorks SKG, released "The Prince of Egypt", an animated version of the bible story, in 1998.

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator
true tim...i however was referring to a live remake...after all you know what special effects can do nowadays...he should make it a 3 1/2 hour journey.:D

RobR

Second Unit
I thought I read somewhere that Spielberg was planning to direct Memoirs of A Geisha?

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
If ya ask me, Speilberg is on a role. A.I. was amazing (DVD tomorrow-WAHOO!) and Minority Report looks to be great.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I am really looking forward to Minority Report after the last two months of films we have had.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Ha ha! Its funny but I was going to start a thread coming from the opposite perspective.. when is Spielberg going to let the occasional light film get through? Some harmless fun Sci-Fi or adventure? His last one that I can think of was the second in the Jurassic Park movies...and thats really not light fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks