What's new

5 Movies You'll NEVER Watch Again... (1 Viewer)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The only complaint I really had about The Return of the King was its seemingly endless string of endings.
Part of the fun of seeing The Return of the King in the theater was when the movie "ended" and faded to black for the first time, and half of the audience stood up to leave. Then they rushed back to their seats when the next scene faded in. When the movie "ended" again and faded to black again, those same audience members stood up to leave again. Then movie started up again, and they all sat back down again, and so on. Then, when the end credits finally started to roll, nobody was sure whether or not the movie was actually over.

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
When I saw "Green Mile" theatrically in 1999, I witnessed the most extreme emotional reaction to a movie I'd ever seen - and it still hasn't been "topped".

During the scene where
Michael Jeter literally fries
, a woman in the theater completely lost it. She cried and screamed and wailed as though the scene was happening for real five feet from her.

I think she needed to be taken out of the auditorium because she was so hysterical!
That’s uncanny! It’s exactly as if you were describing my reaction to Jar Jar Binks in the Phantom Menace… except that I definitely was removed from the theatre.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Part of the fun of seeing The Return of the King in the theater was when the movie "ended" and faded to black for the first time, and half of the audience stood up to leave. Then they rushed back to their seats when the next scene faded in. When the movie "ended" again and faded to black again, those same audience members stood up to leave again. Then movie started up again, and they all sat back down again, and so on. Then, when the end credits finally started to roll, nobody was sure whether or not the movie was actually over.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but when I saw Aliens in 70mm in Boston, at the point where Ripley, Newt, Hicks, and Bishop get back up to the Sulaco, a number of people stood up and started to leave. For the first time in my life in a movie theater, I spoke up loudly, "It's not over yet!" At least some of the people who had been leaving stopped, turned around, and when they saw Bishop get skewered, they sat back down, and stayed there for the best part of the entire movie.

And hopefully praising that bastard who spoke up, given that the audience cheered when Ripley showed up wearing the exo-skeleton.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I thought that was a really good movie!

I also liked it

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
The thing with your picks is that your specified you didn't like movies in which Rob Schneider or Martin Short starred, which I inferred to mean "played the lead".

Of which there aren't many movies, as both were usually supporting actors.

In terms of Schneider's starring roles, "Benchwarmers" was moderately entertaining. Didn't like any of his others, though he's been in some decent Sandler movies as a supporting actor.

As for Martin Short, he starred in "Innerspace", and that one's enjoyable.

Can't think of other Short starring roles that I liked, but again, he didn't have many.

He's usually solid as support.

And he was on "SCTV", which means no one is allowed to criticize him! :D

I thought Martin Short was good in "The Three Fugitives".

The thing with comedy actors is you can't have them in 10 comedy films and expect them all to be funny or interesting.

Unfortunately, most don't do a couple and retire. Always too much money involved to bow out gracefully. Most don't have the range to do anything other than comedy. Some can crossover but many are typecast for obvious reasons.

Norbit, The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Jack and Jill, The Love Guru & The Pink Panther 2.

Anyone?

Anyone?

There's another 5.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I thought Martin Short was good in "The Three Fugitives".

The thing with comedy actors is you can't have them in 10 comedy films and expect them all to be funny or interesting.

Unfortunately, most don't do a couple and retire. Always too much money involved to bow out gracefully. Most don't have the range to do anything other than comedy. Some can crossover but many are typecast for obvious reasons.

Norbit, The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Jack and Jill, The Love Guru & The Pink Panther 2.

Anyone?

Anyone?

There's another 5.
Pluto Nash and Love Guru are just dreadful.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Pluto Nash and Love Guru are just dreadful.

I think "Nash" is better than its reputation indicates... but still not good.

"Guru" is indeed terrible. "Jack and Jill" and "Norbit" from the quoted post are also abominations.

"Pink Panther 2" isn't good, but I don't think it's an atrocity.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I forgot that "Norbit" is one of the very few movies I've ever walked out of in a theater. From my review:

"Cabin fever makes a man do funny things. Back before Norbit hit the screens in February 2007, I thought it looked like it could be funny. After all, when Eddie Murphy plays multiple characters in a movie, he often does well. I loved Bowfinger, and the second Nutty Professor flick was also pretty funny.

When Norbit earned scathing reviews, though, I decided to stay away – at least until the snow fell. And fell. And fell some more.

After a few days stuck in my house, I felt desperate to get out and do something, so a matinee appealed to me. I’d seen most of the efforts then on the screens, so the pickings were slim. The much-praised Pan’s Labyrinth sounded like the most appropriate choice, but I just wasn’t in the mood for something like that, so Norbit got the nod!

Within five minutes, I knew I was in trouble. I didn’t just fail to laugh – I actually winced at most of what I saw.

I made it through about 25 minutes of Norbit before I bailed. I ditched that screen and sneaked into the one that ran Pan’s Labyrinth instead."

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Apparently I'm the only person in the world who thought Love Guru was really funny.

I've only seen it once though. I'm almost afraid to watch it again because of how universally it is loathed. I don't want to tarnish my memory of how much I enjoyed it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Apparently I'm the only person in the world who thought Love Guru was really funny.

I've only seen it once though. I'm almost afraid to watch it again because of how universally it is loathed. I don't want to tarnish my memory of how much I enjoyed it.
I just remember that STOOPID Mariska Hartigay joke repeated over and over ad nauseum. It wasn’t funny once.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I just remember that STOOPID Mariska Hartigay joke repeated over and over ad nauseum. It wasn’t funny once.
Sure it was stupid, but I thought the cameo at the end paid it off.

Also, Hooper was my favorite movie for the longest time when I was a kid and so I thought the bar fight homage was awesome. It was nice to know someone else had some love for that movie.

Maybe these last two posts ought to be moved to the guilty pleasures thread.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yup. From my review:

"To make things worse, the film shows such a dearth of creativity that it repeats the same gags ad infinitum. For instance, Pitka greets all his adherents with “Mariska Hargitay”.

That bit isn’t particularly funny the first time, and it becomes painful the 50th. Guru regurgitates too many of its bits over and over, a factor that makes it tedious as well as painful."

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The New Age (1994) Peter Weller, Judy Davis

It was a really good movie (great performances). Just very depressing, and sad.
Glad I watched it once.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Banshees of Inisherin.

Liked the cinematography, the actors, the setting, the music, etc. But the story was not my cup of tea, which I realized was likely to be true going in. Also didn't care for the same director's Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, and won't be seeing that one again either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks