What's new

Great Movies Almost Ruined By A Single Performance (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Daniel Day Lewis doing a horrible job of copying Johns Huston as Noah Cross in CHINATOWN.

In what movie did Daniel Day Lewis do a horrible job of copying John Huston's performance as Noah Cross in CHINATOWN? "There Will Be Blood"?
I liked his performance, but Daniel Day Lewis is doing John Huston's Noah Cross in There Will be Blood. The voice, cadence and timing is 90% the same

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Kris kristofferson in pat garrett and billy the kid. One of the worse casting choices in western history. Bo Hopkins was always the perfect choice for that role and was considered for it. Kristofferson was nearly 40 playing a kid.

Kristofferson in any movie. You want to sink a movie like a stone, put him in it. I recall seeing the film Dance With Me. In some early scene he's talking with someone and says he used to be a ballroom dancer. The friend I came with and I, we both just spontaneously laughed out loud as people in the audience turned and stared at us. Yeah, when I think of Kris Kristofferson I think "ballroom dancer." What I think of is "lead weight."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Kristofferson in any movie. You want to sink a movie like a stone, put him in it. I recall seeing the film Dance With Me. In some early scene he's talking with someone and says he used to be a ballroom dancer. The friend I came with and I, we both just spontaneously laughed out loud as people in the audience turned and stared at us. Yeah, when I think of Kris Kristofferson I think "ballroom dancer." What I think of is "lead weight."

I agree. I used to joke with my movie buddy back in the day that Kris Kristofferson could kill any movie. Was not a fan.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Bram Stoker's Dracula.
I love the film and think it's a masterpiece, but Keanu Reeves' performance, almost ruins it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Kris was fine playing the corrupt asshole sheriff in Lone Star, but that part didn’t require a lot of range or emotions.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've always thought of Kristofferson as a musician, not an actor. I looked up what he's been in to find I've seen 6 or 7 out of 120 appearances. I couldn't say what I think about his acting ability as those are mostly films I've seen once with only a couple I've ever rewatched. The only film that I distinctly remember him in is Planet of the Apes (2001) which is a bad film anyway - with or without his presence.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree with the post a million pages back that singled out Catherine Hicks for ruining Star Trek IV. I used to have a hard time pinning down why I don't enjoy this film. I like to laugh and I love Star Trek and the mid-80's were my time for Trek. It was Hicks. The moment she shows up the movie dies for me. It was great otherwise (well the score were a lead weight too).

Also agree: Jack Black in King Kong. He was no Robert Armstrong certainly. I also remember why we needed some weird ice sliding scene but couldn't have an elevated train sequence.

My contribution to this thread is a film I haven't seen mentioned in 29 pages is Laura Dern in Jurassic Park. She chewed scenery like a starving guy at a buffet and makes me cringe. Easily takes me out of an otherwise incredible film. I never met a Laura Dern performance I really liked, but I've only seen a few.

Cec Linder in Goldfinger. After Jack Lord's impressive turn as Felix Leiter, they recast with this guy? He looked 10 years older than he was, which made him seem 20 more than Lord (who was actually OLDER), 40 pounds heavier with his porkpie hat, nearly every other actor cast later was a better choice. Another great film, nearly derailed for me.

And for an unpopular choice: Arnold Schwarzenegger in Total Recall. This was an action sci-fi masterpiece, a textbook example of how to spend money making this kind of film, replete with 90's excess and a blistering score and they get saddled with a stiff leading man out of his depth. Imagine this movie with Harrison Ford. I love the film in spite of Arnold. He has a few good moments, but by and large, he's too stiff an actor. He does all of the stunt work well, but even Michael Ironside (who has more bad than good days) towers over him in acting talent.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the post a million pages back that singled out Catherine Hicks for ruining Star Trek IV.

hi3iL2w.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks