Jason
Title: What Happens Later (2023)

Tagline: They missed their connection.

Genre: Romance, Comedy

Director: Meg Ryan

Cast: Meg Ryan, David Duchovny

Release: 2023-11-02

Runtime: 105

Plot: Two ex-lovers, Bill and Willa, get snowed in at a regional airport overnight. Indefinitely delayed, Willa, a magical thinker, and Bill, a catastrophic one, find themselves just as attracted to and annoyed by one another as they did decades earlier. But as they unpack the riddle of their mutual past and compare their lives to the dreams they once shared, they begin to wonder if their reunion is mere coincidence, or something more enchanted.

I wanted to love What Happens Later. Two good actors stuck in one location for the duration of the movie's running time and they try to work out their history.

On paper, sounds great. Add in Meg Ryan and David Duchovny and it sounds even better.

In execution? Yikes.

Let's start with the obvious: What Happens Later has a very low budget. The New York Times says $3 million...I'm not even sure it was that high. While the two leads, and presumably the other travelers in a small regional airport, are stuck overnight, there is a suspicious lack of other people in the movie. Sure, background extras mill around in some scenes, but during the critical climax of the movie...Ryan and Duchovny are all alone. This makes zero sense (unless, of course, every other traveler got out of the airport during the last minute take offs and every single employee went home).

A low budget isn't a bad thing, per se, but when it interferes with the reality of the movie, I have issues with it.

This movie is also based on a play, which is glaringly obvious. Ryan, as director, star and co-writer, just sets the camera down for seemingly long stretches of time, allowing herself and Duchovny to verbally spar in airport seats facing a window. And in airport seats perpendicular to a window. And in airport restaurant seats. And in airport bar chairs. And in an airport gold cart. You get the point. There's nothing energetic about the directing and the story desperately needs something to liven it up. The two actors can only do so much.

They both try, however. Ryan is a "zany", Austin liberal and Duchovny a more "conservative" financial type. I use those terms in quotes because this doesn't come down to political types; rather, it comes down to personalities. Politics is never mentioned as far as I can tell. (Sidenote: Meg Ryan running around an airport in her socks REALLY freaked me out and I wanted to yell at the screen every time she did it.)

What Happens Later is about missed opportunities in life. It hit me hard in context of the week I've been having and has some excellent points to make about people in relationships. The idea of one person being a ballast and another being a hot air balloon was especially poignant for me and made me recontextualize a lot of things in my mind. But does that make this movie good and recommendable? If you're looking for When Harry Met Sally, this isn't it. This isn't a feel-good Hallmark movie. This is more of an indie where everything doesn't get wrapped up in a nice bow at the end. It's also cold and claustrophobic (on purpose).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's disappointing to hear. I was hoping for better.

I became aware of who Meg Ryan was when Anastasia came out. I was nine years old and I was completely obsessed with that movie. It was one of the first times I can remember where I actually wanted to find other movies that an actor was in specifically because I liked Anastasia so much. So I went through most of her romcoms at that point that I was allowed to watch (excluding When Harry Met Sally because of its rating.) She wasn't a crush for me but I was fond of her in an appreciative fan, I really like her movies kind of way. I specifically went to You've Got Mail the next year because Meg Ryan was the voice of Anastasia. (And it had Woody too!)

So if Meg Ryan put out another really great romantic comedy, I would almost certainly go to that. I have to confess here that I haven't really been waiting for her return, but I was happy to hear that What Happens Later existed earlier this summer.

Then I started seeing stuff from it. I don't think the trailer looks very good. I really didn't like the clip they showed when Ryan and Duchovny were on Jimmy Kimmel last week. (What Happens Later has an interim agreement with SAG-AFTRA enabling them to do publicity, but the clip shown during their interview did more damage to my interest than anything.) The reviews don't seem to be particularly encouraging. And now I also have @Jason_V 's mixed thoughts to consider.

I'm starting to feel like this might be a movie I put on when it arrives on a streaming service and I can just stop it if it doesn't work for me. If I go to the theater and don't like it, I would feel obligated to finish it, but not so much if I can just stop it. It's a bit of a bummer that I don't want to immediately rush out for new Meg Ryan, though.

Here is the interview on Jimmy Kimmel if anyone wants to see it. The clip from the movie that turned me off starts at about the 6:26 minute mark or so.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There are reviews out there which say it’s great to see Meg Ryan in a rom com again. The problem with that, for me, is this isn’t a rom com (at least to me). Rom com means something specific and this isn’t it.

As a stage play, I can see this working magnificently.

There is a pretty massive costuming error near the end of the movie. The first time I noticed it, I thought I was nuts. Then I really paid attention and said…nope, it’s there. My only guess is they didn’t have time or money to fix it and said to hell with it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Is this a meeting by chance, or did the characters know they were going to be at the airport together? Just wondering.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There are ways to make movies where two characters are mostly just talking work in cinema. Probably the best example of this ever is Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight. Those movies are romances that primarily involve Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy walking around talking to each other, and yet they are beautifully made and gorgeous to watch because Linklater and his team know what they're doing. Based on what you're describing here, it doesn't seem like Ryan gave the look of the film as much care.

Or maybe she did and the Before films are just better.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There are ways to make movies where two characters are mostly just talking work in cinema. Probably the best example of this ever is Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight. Those movies are romances that primarily involve Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy walking around talking to each other, and yet they are beautifully made and gorgeous to watch because Linklater and his team know what they're doing. Based on what you're describing here, it doesn't seem like Ryan gave the look of the film as much care.

Or maybe she did and the Before films are just better.
Before Sunrise is a fantastic film. I still haven’t watched the third film yet.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks