What's new

5 Movies You'll NEVER Watch Again... (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I like this film less with each viewing. There are a bunch of things wrong with the opening scene where the family goes to get the tree.

Never noticed anything wrong when I saw it before; what did you find wrong that you disliked?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I don’t know how to use the spoiler tag
This should help:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I really doubt at this point 34 years later you need to use spoiler tags for Christmas Vacation.
OK- I’ll just post. The opening scene- driving into the wilderness/mountains to find the tree- there’s no terrain like that anywhere near the Chicago suburbs. When Clark gets combative on the road with the rednecks in the beat up truck- not smart to do things like this with your family in the car. When they get trapped underneath the log truck- most professional drivers would put the hazards on, and gently slow down to a stop, and let the trapped car out. Pretty silly that Clark would have even wanted that tree to begin with- way too big for his house. Why would the family let Audrey’s eyes freeze? How the fuck did that Taurus ever get the tree out of the ground? How did the family maneuver the tree on top of the car? If Clark remembered to bring ropes/chains for the tree, how could he have forgotten to bring a chainsaw? How did that car even make it back to the road, let alone back to the house, with all that weight on the roof?
There are probably other questions from this segment too.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
OK- I’ll just post. The opening scene- driving into the wilderness/mountains to find the tree- there’s no terrain like that anywhere near the Chicago suburbs. When Clark gets combative on the road with the rednecks in the beat up truck- not smart to do things like this with your family in the car. When they get trapped underneath the log truck- most professional drivers would put the hazards on, and gently slow down to a stop, and let the trapped car out. Pretty silly that Clark would have even wanted that tree to begin with- way too big for his house. Why would the family let Audrey’s eyes freeze? How the fuck did that Taurus ever get the tree out of the ground? How did the family maneuver the tree on top of the car? If Clark remembered to bring ropes/chains for the tree, how could he have forgotten to bring a chainsaw? How did that car even make it back to the road, let alone back to the house, with all that weight on the roof?
There are probably other questions from this segment too.

Never thought of those things in just that way! I just saw it before and enjoyed it as it was, but you've given me something to think about.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I like this film less with each viewing. There are a bunch of things wrong with the opening scene where the family goes to get the tree.

Maybe my biggest complaint about "Xmas Vaca" is that Clark feels like a different character.

In the 1st 2, he was hapless but hopeful, naive but sweet.

In "Xmas", he comes across as a surly jerk from the start.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
That's also the charm of the movie and why it's endured for 35+ years. :laugh:

For all its cheesiness, it's worth it for Jeffrey Jones as the Dark Overlord of the Universe. His second best role (after Ferris Bueller's Day Off).

I also get a kick out of the fact that everyone complained about Howard looking "just like a man in a duck suit". Throughout the entire run of the HTD comics, every (human) character he came across thought he was a guy in a duck suit. So the movie was actually comic-accurate on that score.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. It was the summer this movie came out that, in my mind, the Star Trek baton had been officially passed to The Next Generation. Some of the other franchise movies were disappointing, yes. This one, though, was flat-out embarrassing. The 'sexy' (?) fan dance. The bourbon-n-beans/campfire stuff. "I miss my old chair." Scotty hitting his head. Scotty and Uhura's undying love affair? Puh-leese. In my mind, pretty much every first-season episode of Next Gen (except 'Code of Honor') is better than this movie. This is the only Star Trek movie that I have never re-watched.

Same here.

Let's see, four more movies I don't ever want to see again...all comic-book movies:

Catwoman (2004)
Wanted (2008)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
Jonah Hex (2010)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
AVATAR - It was so-oo-oo overhyped and so-oo-oo highly praised that by the time I saw it, it was a giant ho-hum. I bought a DVD when it came out, but won't be watching it ever again.

THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS - another highly touted film that everyone HAD to see. Well, we got about halfway through it and walked out of the theater. If I missed anything, too bad - I'll live without it.

THE FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN - zzzzz, snore

and two sports movies that the wife loves and watches ALL THE TIME:
MIRACLE - the story of the 1980 Olympics hockey win.
INVINCIBLE - the story of Vince Papale.
(I'm not into either sport, and don't care to sit and watch these, although I hear them in the background all the time.)

There are surely others not coming to mind right now, and now in my 70s, there is less time for movie watching, so probably a lot that I'll never get around to seeing, or seeing again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks