What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Columbo was superb episodic TV, which initially ran from 1971-1978 in 43 episodes.

The series was preceded by an NBC Movie of the Week in 1968 entitled Prescription: Murder, and a 1971, 95 minute pilot - Ransom for a Dead Man.

Kino's gorgeous boxed set of all seven seasons, plus the MotV and pilot is legended as Columbo The 1970s, because the character, as played by Peter Falk, also appeared in a number of other specials beginning a decade later beginning in 1989 with Columbo Goes to the Guillotine, Murder, Smoke and Shadows, Sex and the Married Detective, Grand Deceptions, Murder, a Self Portrait --

In 1990, with Columbo Cries Wolf, Agenda for Murder, Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo, Uneasy Lies the Crown, Murder in Malibu, Columbo Goes to College --

In 1991, Caution: Murder Can Be Hazardous to Your Heath, Columbo and the Murder of a Rock Star, Death Hits the Jackpot --

These specials continued through 2003, ending with Columbo Likes the Nightlife. One can only be hopeful that Kino is able to license them and continue their work.

One of the interesting attributes of the original TV series were the guest stars, directors and writers.

Directors included Richard Quine, Hy Averback, Boris Sagal, Peter Falk, Ben Gazzara, Patrick McGoohan, Ted Post, Norman Lloyd, Jack Smight, Jeremy Sagan, Jeannot Szwarc, Robert Douglas, Sam Wanamaker, Jonathan Demme, John Casssavetes, and Steven Spielberg.

Cinematographers included Russell Metty, Lloyd Ahern, Geoffrey Unsworth, Milton Krasner, William Cronjager et al.

The point here is that one never knows what talent is showing up in an episode. It's certainly not your normal episodic TV. One other series that comes to mind with incredible guest starts is The Virginian.

And speaking of cast -- a shot list - Jack Cassidy, Robert Cup, Patrick McGoohan, Robert Vaughn, Ray Milland, Wilfred Hyde-White, Bob Dishy, Anne Francis, Jeanette Nolan, Marietta Hartley, Ida Lupino, John Dehner, Sorrel Brooke, Leslie Nielsen, Patrick O'Neal, Dean Stockwell, Robert Walden, Susan Clark, Roddy McDowell, John Cassavetes, Richard Basehart, Vera Miles, Leonard Nimoy, Donald Pleasence, Anne Baxter, Martin Landau, Jackie Cooper, Laurence Harvey, Dick Van Dyke, Robert Conrad, Jose Ferrer, Johnny Cash, Richard Kiley, Janet Leigh, George Hamilton, Oskar Werner, William Shatner, Ricardo Montalban, Ruth Gordon, Theodore Bikel, Louis Jourdan, Nicol Williamson, Don Ameche, Jessie Royce Landis, Janis Paige, Dean Jagger, Martin Sheen, Sal Mineo, Kim Hunter, Suzanne Pleshette, Martin Milner, Chuck McCann, Julie Newmar, Vincent Price, Myrna Loy, Julie Harris, Paul Stewart, Jessica Walter, Martha Scott, Diana Baker, Dabney Coleman, Edith Head, Ed Begley, Jr., Celeste Holm, Samantha Eggar, Honor Blackman , Jamie Lee Curtis, Judd Hirsch, and a few more.

Hopefully, I've created the correct image.

Most important here to some readers, will be the packaging. It's simple. Seven multi-disc holders within a hard paper case. No big deal. It works.

What's most important to me is the look and sound of the episodes, and in a word -

Spectacular!

NBC Universal has returned to the OCNs, beautifully timed each shot and created a Blu-ray series for the ages.

Seeing these productions on TV in the '70s, and even later on cable, I had no idea that they could look this magnificent. Gorgeous colors, great resolution, deep, rich blacks.

Is every bit of dirt removed, especially in dupes? No. But I don't care.

An extremely important release and a part of TV history. Great work by Kino!

Image – 9

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 2.0, with optional mx and fx tracks)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - n/a

Highly Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
FTR the very first Colombo anything (Enough Rope from 1960) isn't on here.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Not a big deal to me, but I wonder if the Blu rays restore the original Universal fanfare/logo after the end credits. I don't believe the complete-series DVD set left those in, instead opting for Universal's 1990s theme and logo.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I was watching Duel in 4K last night and there was a nice extra with Spielberg where he talks about his television work including Columbo and the ideas he had around shooting it.

Also it is interesting to note how many Spielberg references pop up in the series. I think Falk liked him a lot from what I read.

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Good to see that music and effects tracks are included as extras. I don’t think it had been clear whether they would be deleted along with the audio commentaries.

Reactions: PMF

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Columbo was superb episodic TV, which initially ran from 1971-1978 in 43 episodes.

The series was preceded by an NBC Movie of the Week in 1968 entitled Prescription: Murder, and a 1971, 95 minute pilot - Ransom for a Dead Man.

Kino's gorgeous boxed set of all seven seasons, plus the MotV and pilot is legended as Columbo The 1970s, because the character, as played by Peter Falk, also appeared in a number of other specials beginning a decade later beginning in 1989 with Columbo Goes to the Guillotine, Murder, Smoke and Shadows, Sex and the Married Detective, Grand Deceptions, Murder, a Self Portrait --

In 1990, with Columbo Cries Wolf, Agenda for Murder, Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo, Uneasy Lies the Crown, Murder in Malibu, Columbo Goes to College --

In 1991, Caution: Murder Can Be Hazardous to Your Heath, Columbo and the Murder of a Rock Star, Death Hits the Jackpot --

These specials continued through 2003, ending with Columbo Likes the Nightlife. One can only be hopeful that Kino is able to license them and continue their work.

One of the interesting attributes of the original TV series were the guest stars, directors and writers.

Directors included Richard Quine, Hy Averback, Boris Sagal, Peter Falk, Ben Gazzara, Patrick McGoohan, Ted Post, Norman Lloyd, Jack Smight, Jeremy Sagan, Jeannot Szwarc, Robert Douglas, Sam Wanamaker, Jonathan Demme, John Casssavetes, and Steven Spielberg.

Cinematographers included Russell Petty, Lloyd Ahern, Geoffrey Unsworth, Milton Krasner, William Cronjager et al.

The point here is that one never knows what talent is showing up in an episode. It's certainly not your normal episodic TV. One other series that comes to mind with incredible guest starts is The Virginian.

And speaking of cast -- a shot list - Jack Cassidy, Robert Cup, Patrick McGoohan, Robert Vaughn, Ray Milland, Wilfred Hyde-White, Bob Dishy, Anne Francis, Jeanette Nolan, Marietta Hartley, Ida Lupino, John Dehner, Sorrel Brooke, Leslie Nielsen, Patrick O'Neal, Dean Stockwell, Robert Walden, Susan Clark, Roddy McDowell, John Cassavetes, Richard Basehart, Vera Miles, Leonard Nimoy, Donald Pleasence, Anne Baxter, Martin Landau, Jackie Cooper, Laurence Harvey, Dick Van Dyke, Robert Conrad, Jose Ferrer, Johnny Cash, Richard Kiley, Janet Leigh, George Hamilton, Oskar Werner, William Shatner, Ricardo Montalban, Ruth Gordon, Theodore Bikel, Louis Jourdan, Nicol Williamson, Don Ameche, Jessie Royce Landis, Janis Paige, Dean Jagger, Martin Sheen, Sal Mineo, Kim Hunter, Suzanne Pleshette, Martin Milner, Chuck McCann, Julie Newmar, Vincent Price, Myrna Loy, Julie Harris, Paul Stewart, Jessica Walter, Martha Scott, Diana Baker, Dabney Coleman, Edith Head, Ed Begley, Jr., Celeste Holm, Samantha Eggar, Honor Blackman , Jamie Lee Curtis, Judd Hirsch, and a few more.

Hopefully, I've created the correct image.

Most important here to some readers, will be the packaging. It's simple. Seven multi-disc holders within a hard paper case. No big deal. It works.

What's most important to me is the look and sound of the episodes, and in a word -

Spectacular!

NBC Universal has returned to the OCNs, beautifully timed each shot and created a Blu-ray series for the ages.

Seeing these productions on TV in the '70s, and even later on cable, I had no idea that they could look this magnificent. Gorgeous colors, great resolution, deep, rich blacks.

Is every bit of dirt removed, especially in dupes? No. But I don't care.

An extremely important release and a part of TV history. Great work by Kino!

Image – 9

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 2.0, with optional mx and fx tracks)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 8

Slipcover rating - n/a

Highly Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Reading this made my morning and I await its imminent arrival. One quick spelling correction for the GREAT cinematographer Russell Metty (not Petty.) He was the cinematographer on just a few great films (ha) - All that Heaven Allows, Written on the Wind, Imitation of Life, The Misfits, Spartacus and...Touch of Evil. And many more. A true master.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Reading this made my morning and I await its imminent arrival. One quick spelling correction for the GREAT cinematographer Russell Metty (not Petty.) He was the cinematographer on just a few great films (ha) - All that Heaven Allows, Written on the Wind, Imitation of Life, The Misfits, Spartacus and...Touch of Evil. And many more. A true master.
Thank you. Auto-kerict strikes again. I got to hold his Academy Award for Spartacus, which his family brought to a gathering. The gentleman knew his stuff.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Thank you. Auto-kerict strikes again. I got to hold his Academy Award for Spartacus, which his family brought to a gathering. The gentleman knew his stuff.
He was a true artist. Found this on YT. So many great images ...

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I was watching Duel in 4K last night and there was a nice extra with Spielberg where he talks about his television work including Columbo and the ideas he had around shooting it.

Also it is interesting to note how many Spielberg references pop up in the series. I think Falk liked him a lot from what I read.
I read that when Falk directed Blueprint for Murder, he sought Spielberg's advice when he was unsure about something.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
The main issue with this set seems to be that it was initially announced with quite a generous set of extra features (mostly commentary audio tracks on many of the episodes) that were completed but, finally, not included for undisclosed reasons.

KML10

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
Good to see that music and effects tracks are included as extras. I don’t think it had been clear whether they would be deleted along with the audio commentaries.
Yes, it’s extremely disappointing that all those audio commentaries were removed. It would have made this set even more desirable. Maybe, the next set due next year will have some commentaries? We can only hope.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Frank Tarzi of KL confirmed on the Cereal at Midnight podcast that this set is just the first set.
and the next one is being worked on and should be out in 2024.
i hope some day we find out why the commentaries could not be included. (I honestly can't imagine why.)

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
The main issue with this set seems to be that it was initially announced with quite a generous set of extra features (mostly commentary audio tracks on many of the episodes) that were completed but, finally, not included for undisclosed reasons.
Wish they could have done smth like include a souvenir episode guide - or better yet license the "Columbo Phile" or other existing behind-the-scenes volume for inclusion with the package (such as Image did with the "TheTwilight Zone" Season 1 DVD back in the day) to make up for the loss. Sure, it would have upped the SRP that much more, but would've been worth it, esp. for those of us who don't already own a copy of said book.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I love the Columbo episodes from the 1970s and always try to catch them when they air on TV (COSI usually shows them on weekends). I'm sure I've seen every episode, some multiple times. Mainly for personal reasons, my favorite episode is the one where Robert Conrad plays the fitness guru, because my mom's best friend appears in the hospital waiting room scene (she's the pretty lady with the hat). Anyhow, nice to know this series is being properly preserved.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wish they could have done smth like include a souvenir episode guide - or better yet license the "Columbo Phile" or other existing behind-the-scenes volume for inclusion with the package (such as Image did with the "TheTwilight Zone" Season 1 DVD back in the day) to make up for the loss. Sure, it would have upped the SRP that much more, but would've been worth it, esp. for those of us who don't already own a copy of said book.
So you’re suggesting they license and include a 400+ page book (that’s available on Amazon for $23).

The book probably weighs as much or more than the Blu-Ray set, so shipping cost would increase along with SRP.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
So you’re suggesting they license and include a 400+ page book (that’s available on Amazon for $23).

The book probably weighs as much or more than the Blu-Ray set, so shipping cost would increase along with SRP.
I don't own the book so I didn't know it was 400+ pages. Any such book included *in* a (conventional size/shaped) Bluray set would most likely be a specially produced mass market--size ppb edition.. if not the complete book, then perhaps a condensed version, or just a booklet with an excerpt or two (w/ an ad for the full book appended, ofcourse).

Anyway, since none of the above has happened, I'm personally working on creating my own liner notes booklet (trivia, history, pics etc. from various "Columbo" books & other sources) for my personal copy of the set when I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks