What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Mandalorian is a TV series from Disney, starring Pedro Pascal as the title character. The series is currently into its fourth season, with each season having 8 episodes. Mr. Pascal is currently being seen on The Last of Us, for which the second season will begin to air in 2025.

As a UHD Blu-ray disc, there isn't much that need be said of The Mandalorian outside of the simple fact that these are absolute reference quality releases.

They were shot with an Arri Alexa LF, and completed in 4k.

As part of the Star Wars family, there is a bit of digital work here, and some effects, all of which are beautifully rendered into the final image.

It's just perfect.

Audio, in Dolby Atmos (here's another reason to upgrade your system) is room-filling with pin-point effects.

For packaging aficionados, these are Steelbooks. Beautifully designed, and along with the disc within, are fully worth the pre-release price of $46. At 303 minutes without extras, that works out to 15 cents per minute for something thought unattainable on home video back in the 1970s.

As an aside, some of the episode directors are Bryce Dallas Howard, Carl Weathers, Peyton Reed, Jon Favreau (he knows the show runner), Robert Rodriguez, Rachel Morrison and Peter Ramsey.

Image – 10 (HDR)

Audio – 10 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - You better believe it!

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 10

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 10

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very much looking forward to these. I didn’t like that it took three and four years to get these on disc, but I’m glad to see they’ve done right by the show. Hopefully many more will follow in 2024.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Do you have to be a Star Wars fan to appreciate this series? I like sci-fi, just not Star Wars...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’ve not been a Star Wars fan since 1983, and agree that these have western undertones. Comparing the 4k UHD to streaming, 4k wins hands down, and before anyone asks, my system have superb data throughput.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My copies of Season One and Season Two arrived today, quite a supprise as I never get anything early. Plus I’m surprised given the thin envelope Amazon uses, my steelbooks do not appear to be dented.

I’ve been looking forward to these not having Disney+, so it will be great to finally see this show.

IMG_2639.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks