What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Hugo -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't know how Hugo was taken through post. It was shot with an Arri Alex in 2.8k and finished in 2k.

Looking at Arrow's 4k UHD variant, there's a definite up-tick from standard issue Blu-ray, although I'm not certain whether it's from added resolution or the higher data throughput allowed by 4k discs.

Regardless, wonderful film, and for those who don't have a copy, be aware that it comes with a 3-D disc, absolutely free!

Image – 10 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 7.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7.5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you love the film - or don't have the BD

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 2

Highly Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Hugo-4K-Ultr...&qid=1709621650&sprefix=hugo+4k,aps,81&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Hugo is on the short-list as one of my all-time life-affirming favorites.

Love film?

Love hope?

Love magic and wonder?

And, dare I say it, love the understandings of others and of ourselves?

Try Hugo, immediately, if you are someone who has not yet seen it.

Martin Scorsese has delivered something that is needed, unique and rare. An upbeat film for kids, adults and the human spirit…plus an immensly wonderful entertainment that is beautifully photographed by Robert Richardson.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Hugo is on the short-list as one of my all-time life-affirming favorites.

Love film?

Love hope?

Love magic and wonder?

And, dare I say it, love the understandings of others and of ourselves?

Try Hugo, immediately, if you are someone who has not yet seen it.

Martin Scorsese has delivered something that is needed, unique and rare. An upbeat film for kids, adults and the human spirit…plus an immensly wonderful entertainment that is beautifully photographed by Robert Richardson.
You should ask to your list: Love 3D?, since it's a prime example of the format.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
You should ask to your list: Love 3D?, since it's a prime example of the format.
Great input and catch from someone who clearly knows; as I, myself, have been deprived due only to lack of proper equipment.

I would eagerly welcome this experience.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Great input and catch from someone who clearly knows; as I, myself, have been deprived due only to lack of proper equipment.
I was fortunate to having experienced Hugo during its first run in a 3D equipped theater. It was awesome, and added so much to an already great movie experience.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks