What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Quatermass Experiment (take 2) -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I presume that I have a few words here somewhere, already posted about The Quatermass Xperiment. If you want to know if someone is a true film fan, or not, try to discuss the film, and they'll called it Quartermass.

Once again, Kino has upped the ante on this film by re-issuing in roughly double the data throughput, which is quite helpful toward the resultant image.

Keep in mind that the source is probably an old fine grain, and that there's no cleaning, meaning bits of positive and negative dirt are evident, but it we'd lose that mid-fifties UK texture.

There were a few films in this series.

Quatermass Xperiment (1955), Quatermass 2 (1957), and Quatermass and the Pit aka Five Million Years to Earth, which is probably my favorite. In addition there were re-makes, TV series, and a new feature in development. The first two were directed by Val Guest, and the final by Roy Ward Baker. The first (this one) is in black and white, along with 2. The final is in color.

All three come courtesy of the beloved Hammer films, and all are worth your attention.

Image – 6.25

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - 1

Upgrade from previous Blu-ray - If you love the film

Recommended

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Quatermass ll is the weaker of the three films. I have the Anchor Bay DVD. Quatermass & The Pit is superior in every way. I have the Region B Blu-ray. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Obviously the main selling point of this is its the only complete version of The Quatermass Xperiment we have from the 1950s (the BBC rather infamously never recorded the original serial beyond the first two episodes). That being said, Donlevy has always been the weakest actor to play Bernard and the 2005 color remake using a condensed version of the original Nigel Kneale scripts is superior.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Obviously the main selling point of this is its the only complete version of The Quatermass Xperiment we have from the 1950s (the BBC rather infamously never recorded the original serial beyond the first two episodes). That being said, Donlevy has always been the weakest actor to play Bernard and the 2005 color remake using a condensed version of the original Nigel Kneale scripts is superior.
Thanks for the heads up regarding the 2005 remake, I wasn't aware of it. It's available to stream on BritBox, so I'll check it out.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
While I immensely like "Quatermass and the Pit" (the film), I recently watched the restored original black and white TV production starring Andre Morrell on blu-ray. It is equally good--in some ways better--and worth tracking down for Quatermass enthusiasts.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I love all three Quatermass films, but I really have gotten tired of that rebuy everything over and over again urge. I really want to to buy new to disc titles that I would be interested in!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
X The Unknown was originally intended to be a sequel to The Quatermass Xperiment, but writer Nigel Kneale refused permission for them to use the Bernard Quatermass character/name. It shares a similar Cold War allegorical theme. Because of that it absolutely belongs with the first two Quatermass films to form a trilogy. It needs a BR release.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
X The Unknown was originally intended to be a sequel to The Quatermass Xperiment, but writer Nigel Kneale refused permission for them to use the Bernard Quatermass character/name. It shares a similar Cold War allegorical theme. Because of that it absolutely belongs with the first two Quatermass films to form a trilogy. It needs a BR release.
I thought Shout released X on blu-ray.
They did in 2020, and I have it in my disc library:

1702476526997.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks