What's new

A few words about...™ - Staying Alive -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Staying Alive isn't a very good film. Wasn't in 1983. Hasn't gotten any better, possibly accept for fans of John Travolta.

As directed by Sylvester Stallone, it's a very decent film, but it never rises above the ordinary. And as the sequel-in-waiting to the huge hit Saturday Night Fever...

I checked data throughput as the film opened, as the main title sequence viscerally explodes on the screen, punctuated by titles over frozen frames.

Throughout the sequence, throughput ranges from the low 60 to the 80s, so it's all there. Even in frozen frames, the grain appears proper

My presumption was that, especially with those numbers, there would be zero problems. Turned out the encode isn't perfect, but it very nice. The only thing I noted were some odd digital noise patterns in featureless backgrounds. Something that 99% of viewers won't notice, and that I note only for the record.

This is a nice 4k disc.

Color is great. There's as much detail as was captured, with quality black levels.

One might wonder what the film might have been like with a more interesting screenplay and John Badham at the helm.

But it's a Stallone film and that's not a bad thing. It's just very different.

Audio is big and bold courtesy of DTS-HD MA 5.1.

Image – 9 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Worth your attention - 4

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Slipcover rating - 1

RAH

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The Satan's Alley sequence has to be one of the most bizarre musical numbers ever committed to celluloid. Worth the price of the 4K upgrade for that alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks