What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I love re-visiting films from my childhood.

Herbert Ross' 1984 Footloose, starring Kevin Bacon, and a whole lot of very young looking actors has arrived from Paramount in 4k UHD form, and the film is as good as it was 40 years ago, ie, it's sweet and holds up reasonably nicely, with a hot track.

The news here for fans is a new Steelbook, with attractive graphics on the obverse and reverse, and a design that carries over on the opening side.

As a 4k release, Footloose is fine, but nothing special. Image quality is about as good as one would expect from a new Blu-ray derived from an IP. Colors are nice. It's a very decent package. Just not up to 2024 4k standards.

First inkling that it's a bit off is the Paramount logo, which is soft. Main Title sequence appears to have normal background grain, but all graphics are soft. Once we get into production footage, things are clean, but had me wondering precisely what I was looking at.

I'm thinking either an older 4k transfer, or something from an IP.

Track is crisp, clean DTS-HD MA 5.1.

Image – 6.5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you love the film or metal packaging

Worth your attention - 6

Slipcover rating - n/a

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Footloose-St...&qid=1706954348&sprefix=footloo,aps,88&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I was on the fence about upgrading this one, but reckon I'll stick with my Blu-ray. That one at least has DTS-HD MA 6.1, which is, like, one more than 5.1.

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I love re-visiting films from my childhood.

Herbert Ross' 1984 Footloose, starring Kevin Bacon, and a whole lot of very young looking actors has arrived from Paramount in 4k UHD form, and the film is as good as it was 40 years ago, ie, it's sweet and holds up reasonably nicely, with a hot track.

The news here for fans is a new Steelbook, with attractive graphics on the obverse and reverse, and a design that carries over on the opening side.

As a 4k release, Footloose is fine, but nothing special. Image quality is about as good as one would expect from a new Blu-ray derived from an IP. Colors are nice. It's a very decent package. Just not up to 2024 4k standards.

First inkling that it's a bit off is the Paramount logo, which is soft. Main Title sequence appears to have normal background grain, but all graphics are soft. Once we get into production footage, things are clean, but had me wondering precisely what I was looking at.

I'm thinking either an older 4k transfer, or something from an IP.

Track is crisp, clean DTS-HD MA 5.1.

Image – 6.5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 5

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you love the film or metal packaging

Worth your attention - 6

Slipcover rating - n/a

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Footloose-Steelbook-UHD-Kevin-Bacon/dp/B0CPXT71QJ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2N1PJ1KZ21BWV&keywords=footloose+4k&qid=1706954348&sprefix=footloo,aps,88&sr=8-1
I have heard what you’re saying here. Thank you for this informative review.
I heard something was off with this release in 4K.
I don’t know if I’m gonna rush out to grab this which is a pity because like you said it scratches that part of my brain that just loves revisiting the movies I grew up with

I’ll need to check this out

Thanks again, Mr. Harris

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Wasn't "It Happened One Night" released when you were in high school? ;)

Agree that this is a mediocre 4K. Not bad but just kinda blah.
Golly, I heard it was "The Kiss"
1707623185985.png

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks