What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Shootist -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's an odd thing.

Try to figure out why an important film like The Shootist, a magnificently melancholy film about not only the passing of the old west, but the final time we'd see John Wayne on screen, in a situation almost semi-autobiographical.

I'm unaware of any release better than the old DVD which seeks to have arrived somewhere in the mid-1970s. Why has it taken this long to get a proper Blu-ray.

Apparently, it was up to Arrow to license the film and finally make it available.

But it ain't no 4k. It's a Blu-ray. Viewing it, I'm thinking that there wouldn't be much gained in a 4k. This image is sharp as a tack, and what some may call grainy. I kinda like it. Zero regrets.

Great colors, proper black levels, and an instructive differential between the main title sequence and the production footage that will show precisely how much is lost in a dupe.

My advice, especially for those who may never have been exposed, is grab a copy. And for those who do know, it's directed by Don Siegel. It's also one of those odd theatrical productions with a list of "guest stars." Had me thinking about The Alamo.

Guest stars was generally a term that you'd see in episodic TV.

Hat's off to Arrow for delivering the goods!

Image – 10

Audio – 10

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - n/a

Upgrade from DVD - About time!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I was going to buy it anyway, but thank you for re-assuring me I was making a wise decision! In my opinion, no movie star had a more appropriate final film than John Wayne.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I ordered mine directly from Arrow back in mid-December as I eagerly await its arrival. It has to be better than the following 2016 German Blu-ray which is mediocre at best video presentation-wise.

1709200770255.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have a copy of that older German edition and it’s frankly one of the worst discs in my collection. It’s from a dated master that was already ancient when the disc was made, but that’s not even my chief complaint - the encoding is just so poor on the disc that in projection, it’s all digital noise.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
A fabulous film that I am very pleased to upgrade from my old DVD.
Hopefully mine will arrive in Australia’s soon.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Thank you for the review. I've been a fan since viewing when it was released back in the 70s. Can't wait to receive the Blu Ray.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Thank you for the review. I've been a fan since viewing when it was released back in the 70s. Can't wait to receive the Blu Ray.
Just pre-ordered - bought the Warriors and Carlitos Way while I was at it. (98% of anything Don Siegel directed is worth savoring. )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks