What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Strange New Worlds is exceptional television. It also happens to be exceptional Star Trek. Premiering on Paramount+, the series exists, it seems, due to fan reaction to Anson Mount’s portrayal of Captain Pike and the pre-Kirk USS Enterprise showing up on Star Trek: Discovery’s second season. Following that appearance, a petition was launched, and the overwhelming desire of Trek fans was to see a show about Pike and his days on the Enterprise before Captain Kirk took command. Fortunately, when it arrived, it was just about everything fans hoped it would be. Adventurous, dramatic, playful, idealistic, compelling, and so much fun.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (2022–)

Released: 05 May 2022
Rated: TV-PG
Runtime: 1 min

Director: N/A
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi

Cast: Melissa Navia, Christina Chong, Anson Mount
Writer(s): Akiva Goldsman...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
As I recall from TOS, the doctor was an old Cooter, dare I also say, of a different race? Despite that, I like the man playing the doctor now. This is an excellent series. Not sure if I want to archive it badly enough for a purchase, streaming was just fine, though, can we really trust the streaming services anymore to leave good content available?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
As I recall from TOS, the doctor was an old Cooter, dare I also say, of a different race?

Leonard McCoy was the (white) doctor on TOS. Joseph M'Benga is (obviously) a different doctor. He appeared in a couple of episodes of TOS, and is the doctor on Strange New Worlds.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Leonard McCoy was the (white) doctor on TOS. Joseph M'Benga is (obviously) a different doctor. He appeared in a couple of episodes of TOS, and is the doctor on Strange New Worlds.
I think Lee is referring to the actor who played the Dr. in the original, failed pilot which had him under the command of Captain Pike of course:
The Cage Dr.jpg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Dr. M'Benga was first introduced in the TOS seasons 2 and 3 episodes A Private Little War and That Which Survives.

mbenga.jpg

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
Dr. M'Benga was first introduced in the TOS seasons 2 and 3 episodes A Private Little War and That Which Survives.

View attachment 187542
Good catch! Thank you, I do remember that. Might have to dust off my old TOS discs and rewatch.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I agree with everything in this review, although I don’t feel they spend too much time on Chapel’s unrequited love for Spock. That’s the thing that gives her character depth, and her sadness is powerful.

The UHD set is one of the best Star Trek releases ever on disc.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Exceptional television in the style of the Original Series. Interesting how Samuel Kirk's role is down played. I assume he's Jim's father. How does that fit in with the timeline? I've been watching S1 on YT free, highly recommended if you want to sample before you buy. The ads are not too intrusive. Anyone notice that Chris Pike's hair appears to get taller as the season progresses?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Interesting how Samuel Kirk's role is down played. I assume he's Jim's father.

He is Jim’s brother. He is mentioned briefly in season one of TOS when the crew finds his dead body on the infested planet in “Operation-Annihilate!” - they slapped a fake mustache on Shatner and had him lie on the ground playing dead.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anyone notice that Chris Pike's hair appears to get taller as the season progresses?

Yes, this became the subject of several internet memes as the season progressed, with Anson Mount himself joining in the fun. I think we discussed/posted about it the series thread when it was originally airing.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Thanks for the reply. Ah, Jim's brother that makes more sense. So I wasn't imagining the hair!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks