What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Star Trek: First Contact is a lean, efficient and thrilling science fiction adventure combining the top tier of cinematic arts, including frighteningly good and Oscar nominated make-up, compelling sets, effective lighting, well balanced script, a parade of strong visual effects work, brilliant special effects including the skill and detail present on the nearly eleven-foot Sovereign Class Enterprise E model, Jonathan Frakes’ spot-on direction, an array of fine performances, and some of the best of Jerry Goldsmith’s scoring. These elements come together to create an almost perfect piece of Star Trek cinema. And it’s a film that hasn’t lost any of its thrill and adventure all these years later (27 years as of this writing). Highly recommended.

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

Released: 22 Nov 1996...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'll eventually grab this as it is simply too good a film to ignore on UHD but no Atmos is a huge disappointment.
So many catalog titles the get an Atmos mix (many that don't even need it). Yet so many sci-fi, and action movies that are so deserving of it gets missed. I find it odd. A very big missed opportunity here!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So many catalog titles the get an Atmos mix (many that don't even need it). Yet so many sci-fi, and action movies that are so deserving of it gets missed. I find it odd. A very big missed opportunity here!
Unfortunately the treatment of reissued titles seems to have much more to do with the studio than the actual content.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Great review, Neil. Thank you. My copy of the box set is arriving today, but to tell the truth, First Contact is the only one I am truly looking forward to.

First Contact was, by far, the best TNG widescreen adventure. Until now, that is.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Paramount has always treated Trek as a b@stard stepchild on home video. Here, only ST: TMP Director's Cut of the classic films got a Dolby Atmos remix. They still use a little too much DNR and some shots can look quite waxy.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Although I usually love the episodes of TV shows directed by Jonathan Frakes, my feelings on First Contact have always been mixed. It looks great, and has another fine score by one of my favorite movie composers, Jerry Goldsmith. But....I didn't like the drunken Zefram Cochran much, even though I usually really like James Cromwell. I blame the screenplay. I also don't really like the Ahab-like Picard, who seems too extreme in some scenes. Again, I blame the screenplay. Seems like almost everyone here loves First Contact, but for me it was a big fall off from the TV show. Next Gen Trek increasingly had big budgets for these movies, but from my pov that hurt more than it helped. My rating for the Generations movie would probably be an "A," but this movie is more like a "B" for me, and Insurrection was more like a "C." Nemesis was actually a step up for me, and was back in the "B" range overall.

PS But I do really like the poster art.
First-Contact-poster.jpeg

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
If the Birg had really wanted to be “cunning and deadly,” they would have done the time travel FIRST (in their part of the galaxy) and THEN done the space travel. There would have been no chance for the Federation to be aware of the attack; no chance for the Enterprise to reverse the damage.

The Borg in this movie are idiots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks