What's new

The Movies' Greatest Action Sequences (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't know what kind of equipment you're viewing it on Tim, but if we're only talking major studio films then it's in the Top 5 as far as I'm concerned. Horrible is too kind a word to describe just how awful it is. There is almost no fine detail present since it's so heavily filtered, the ringing makes everything look like it's the size of Texas, shadow detail is very poor in some of the darker scenes, and colors are muddy. The irony here is that it's so nicely packaged and produced, and the DTS track is great. It's like opening a beautifully wrapped Christmas present only to find a turd inside the box. I love this film and am really disappointed that it's never seen a home video release worthy of it's stature. Heck, my copy of Spaceballs looks 1000% better than Tombstone. Where's the justice in that?

Back to the thread at hand...

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
You're right Doug...just trying to be a little positive. :) The EE or haloing on objects is rather bad. It was pretty bad on my projector...was really visible. This great film does deserve MUCH better.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'll second the votes for the chariot race in Ben-Hur and the T-Rex fight in PJ's King Kong. If it hasn't already been mentioned also want to add the Kong's last stand atop the the ESB in PJ's Kong.

I think its a fabulous action sequence that at times reminds me of a tragic balet.

Real Name
William Goodspeed
Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone: The first Quiddich (sp?) match. Fans of the books finally got to see this visually realized on screen and it was very effective. Williams great score was a perfect setup to this sequence. Not always perfect visual affects wise, but intense and a remarkable action moment.

I'll add Harry's duel with the Dragon in Goblet of Fire as pretty dang good too.

Kong's fight mentioned above was terrifically insane :D

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The 20-minute climax of BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI. Still leaves me breathless - almost unbearable suspense.

Concur absolutely with ALIENS.
But don't forget its predecessor ALIEN - that incredible five-minute sequence of Harry Dean Stanton searching for Jones the cat ("Here, kitty...") before the alien finally zaps him. Not an "action sequence" by strict definition, perhaps, but as nerve-racking as anything I've ever seen.

A few from "the road less traveled by...":

The climax of THEM! in the sewer system.
Climactic fight atop the train in EMPEROR OF THE NORTH.
Speaking of the tops of trains, how about Sean Connery's hair-raising leaps from car to car in THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY...?
Or Monte Banks' in the silent two-reeler CHASING CHOO-CHOOS...?
Or Nicol Williamson's in THE SEVEN PERCENT SOLUTION...?

Stephen_M

Agent
The end shootout in Miami Vice is expertly done enough to merit consideration.

And, there are two in Predator that I love:

The assault on the village where the 'terrorists' HQ - simply awesome and letter-perfect.

And, later on, when the predator is first wounded after slaughering Gov. Ventura and runs off, all of our heroes line up in a row and blast the hell out of the jungle. Superbly edited - watch the sequence again and just count the number of edits made - and completely pointless. There is a brief couple of seconds, where everyone runs out of ammo - but, instead of ending the sequence, they just reload and fire off another crapload of firepower. It's sheer destruction just filmed for the hell of it and it's great fun to watch.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

I'll third it Johnny. Most excellent. As Chris said, it was extremely well directed and technically waaaaaaaaaay ahead of it's time. :emoji_thumbsup:

I had the privilege of seeing Ben Hur in college at the famous Paramount Theater in Abilene, Texas. The Paramount had been restored with the balcony thing, dark red elegant curtains, opera style seating (box seats)....etc...truly an evening I'll never forget. Seeing Ben Hur that way was almost frightening it was so real. The chariot race made me feel like I was actually in it.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

I'll add that it was a great place to take a date too :) There is definetely a market for stuff like that still.

Elayna Rainwater

Auditioning
Real Name
Elayna Rainwater
The Man In The Iron Mask. I know it's not a perfect film and is uneven. However, the final battle down below that dungeon area was great, and well directed. The action was well choreographed and captured what was at stake.

Real Name
Claire David
There are several fantastic action sequences in Twister. Someone already mentioned the F5 scene.

Another would be the opening when Jo's father gets sucked up. That one is also very scary. And the "have you lost your nerve" sequence is terrorfying too. My husband takes credit for getting me into Home Theater stuff by showing me that scene on his bulky looking Laserdisc player. Gosh he was proud of that thing. Not sure which he loved more?
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
This film is a woefully unappreciated darling of mine, I wholeheartedly agree. Beautiful music to boot.

--
H

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Twister is a hoot. Some bad dialogue at times and Bill & Jo needed their head examined for how close they got to those mothers but the action is truly awesome at times. The opening is frightening for sure. Good call there. My favorite was your second listed. It's their first tornado encounter since "re-uniting". The "Have you lost your nerve?" scene! When that bridge starts coming apart and the nails start popping out. Wow. Throw in a STUPENDOUS sound mix that places you nearly smack dead in it....Great fun. :)

I'm sure your husband loves you more than that laserdisc! ;)

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
The Matrix

The sequence from the lobby shootout to the rooftop escape is thrilling and visually stunning. There are several moments where it seems like the heroes will not make it but then pull a rabbit out of their hat. The visceral impact, sound, and music all help make this a standout action piece.

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
Indiana jones all of them pretty much.

Temple of Doom - Escaping on the mine cart going full speed through a track that looks more like a roller coaster going over lava being chased by baddies, turning into the wrong track were they go flying off of it landing perfectly on the lower part of the track going full speed into a dead end with no breaks climaxing with a torrent of water flooding the tunnel heading towards them with no way out but the side of a dangerous mountain.

wow

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Tell me about it! Might be a tad better than mine. :frowning:....;)Very cool. I guess Timobi can let you best him for now. :D

Talking about Twister's great action got me reminiscing. Ah, the Summer of 1996 was a Fantastic one...:)

and finally...."where's my truck?" :)

:)

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Has anyone mentioned the the initial graboid attack in Tremors ("I'm gonna kick his a$$! I'm gonna help ya."), and when Val is making the run for the caterpiller? ("I'm older, and I'm wiser. Yea, well, yer half right.")

I know I'm gonna get slapped for this one, but what about the emergency shuttlecraft landing in Star Trek V. Terrible movie (I bought the SE - being a Trek completist - when it came out, and still can't bring myself to watch it), but that one sequence (contrived at it was) sticks out as being very well executed...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks