What's new

The 100 Greatest Action Movies on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I basically feel "action movies" need to be broken down into subgenres because the term is so inclusive of so many different kinds of pictures.

My personal preference is that an action movie not be just wall to wall action. That it is about a variety of ideas that build up to the action sequences, so that they really matter and are not just there as boredom killers.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Shouldn't "The Professionals" (1966) starring Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode and Jack Palance be on that list? It's surely one of the best written "action" movies.
I certainly agree, it was one of the first films that came to mind that wasn’t a modern day action picture. Richard Brooks did a fine job with a great cast.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, two more recent pictures I think should be on a greatest action film list (both on Blu) are:

Skyfall (2012)
1917 (2019)

Both pictures directed by Sam Mendes, who I probably would not have thought of as a great action director but both of these films really prove he is. Skyfall being part of the Bond franchise you expect it to have great action sequences. Really, the action in Bond pictures is almost always beautifully staged. So, I could have wrote that off as just as a result of working with the Bond crew that really know how to assemble an action sequence. However, 1917 was Sam's own picture and it is a truly wonderful action film, in my opinion. Plus it meets the standards of modern action pictures in that once the main characters are up and running, the picture is a non-stop thrill ride. Mendes does display his fantastic touch with making these scenes dynamic, filled with tension, and keeps it about the characters at the same time.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Shouldn't "The Professionals" (1966) starring Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode and Jack Palance be on that list? It's surely one of the best written "action" movies.

I would have it on the list, yes. Plus the action in that picture is expertly staged and awesome to watch. I guess either the people that compiled it missed it or it was not available on DVD by the end of 2002.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I would also, for ease of classifying, most of the films that starred these actors as action:
1) Schwarzenegger
2) Stallone
3) Chris Pratt
4) Vin Diesel
5) The Rock
6) Bruce Willis
7) Keanu Reeves
8) Liam Neeson

Yes, known as action stars with the exception of Pratt, I think. I've not seen many of Pratt's pictures but what I have seen, I've not really liked. I would probably replace him on that list with Denzel Washington or Tom Cruise or someone along those lines.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Here's another list of best action movies. Not sure who this Rob Ager guy is but he makes a lot of film analysis videos. Thought it would be interesting to add this here and it is newer than the original list I posted:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Post 2002 there have been a few entertaining action pictures.

It's probably a genre that most people who enjoy watching films seem to enjoy.

Lucy (2014) is a very entertaining action movie and is one of few films made from the last 10 years that didn't bore me to death. Luc Besson did a very good job of producing a movie that manages to sustain interest in the viewer and it never seems predictable. Found this movie very refreshing and interesting with plenty of action to satisfy any adrenaline junkie. Some might label this a sci-fi film too but this is a pure action movie to my eyes but with a plot that is focused on sci-fi that enables plenty of action scenes that does not let up once it gets going. It's a nice tool to make an action movie that in my opinion is like no other.

Shoot 'Em Up (2007) is an hilarious adrenaline filled action picture that mixes a perfect balance of humour and action with brilliant performances from Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti hamming it up and loving every second of it in this fun picture. Some very funny one liners. This movie is a fantastic pastiche of the action genre but manages to somehow have an air of originality about it. It never takes itself seriously but it does not lower itself to the low-brow very silly levels of commando neither. The soundtrack is pulsating with tracks from Motorhead and AC - DC that help turn the action dial to 11 and blows a fuse in the process. A must watch for action fans.

Premium Rush (2012) impressed me too and took me by surprise. Went into this one blind not knowing this was an action picture but boy this takes a new twist in the action genre. Like Lucy (2014) this is a modern action picture that utilizes special effects creatively in a fantastic way that really adds to the movie plot line in an effective manner. A must watch again in my opinion and needs to be more well known than it actually is.

The International (2009) is a movie that in my opinion is brilliant. Generally considered as an average to good action/thriller but from my perspective is a top tier action movie that should not be missed. A lot of great shots on location in Europe and a great set-piece in New York's Guggenheim museum towards the end of the movie. This movie deals with the dark sorcery of international banking/finance and Clive Owen plays an Interpol agent trying to get to the bottom of the murky underworld of arms dealing. A cerebral action picture in the Bourne trilogy mould. Love these conspiracy/thriller action pictures.

Headhunters (2011) is also not to be missed. There does not seem to be many foreign action movies that get made but this Norwegian one is a gem and perhaps apart from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is one of the best out there. This impressed me very much and the cat and mouse aspect of the plot keeps you on the edge of your seat. Beautifully photographed and many great set-pieces to satisfy the most hard to please action movie lover.

The Adjustment Bureau (2011) is not generally considered an action movie but to me again like Lucy which has a Sci-Fi plot it must be considered one. The Director wrote the screenplay for the Bourne Ultimatum so this should not really surprise anyone that it can be regarded as an action movie. Unfortunately, George Nolfi has only directed 2 movies since this which is a shame because he obviously has a lot of talent based on what I have seen here. The Banker (2020) is another one of his pictures I recommend but that is not an action movie. The Adjustment Bureau in my opinion is a better movie than how it was/is perceived. It got favorable reviews on its release but to me this is an excellent picture and would probably make my top 10 of the decade 2010-2020. It has originality and intelligence and from my perspective avoids many cliches and again like premium Rush and Lucy manages to skillfully insert digital effects that contribute to the story which makes this a modern action picture not to be missed.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Here's another list of best action movies. Not sure who this Rob Ager guy is but he makes a lot of film analysis videos. Thought it would be interesting to add this here and it is newer than the original list I posted:

Rob Ager has done some interesting work on movies. Have seen quite a few of his videos.

He always brings a fresh perspective on film interpretation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks