What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Roaring Twenties (1939) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mn3OG4vEgeiAdn27hDNZoSRiZOQvkJ_large.jpg

Ripped from the headlines of the turbulent era between the Great War and the Great Depression, this dynamic, nostalgia-tinged crime drama balances tommy-gun action with epic historical sweep. Legends James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart star as army buddies whose fortunes rise and fall as their fates intersect, first in a foxhole on the front lines of World War I, then in Manhattan’s Prohibition-era underworld. Directed by Hollywood master Raoul Walsh, and based on a story by prolific journalist turned screenwriter and producer Mark Hellinger, The Roaring Twenties brought to a close the celebrated Warner Bros. gangster cycle of the 1930s, and it remains one of the greatest and most influential crime films of all time.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 106 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 1.37:1
  • English
  • Spine #1208

4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Audio commentary with film historian Lincoln Hurst
    • New interview with critic Gary Giddins
    • Excerpt from a 1973 interview with director Raoul Walsh
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: An essay by film critic Mark Asch

New cover by Jennifer Dionisio

February 27, 2024

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Nice to see a 4K version day and date with the blu, rather than six months or a year after we all ponied up for the blu.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Never seen the film but love the cast and the director so when my local library gets it i will check it out.
This can go toe to toe with ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES as the best Cagney/Bogart movie. And directed by Raoul Walsh, who like Michael Curtiz, elevated every project he touched (he had a great way with Bogart in HIGH SIERRA also out on Criterion.) It's truly one of the best gangster films ever. Mic drop.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wish it was a Warner Archive release, I hate paying Criterion's inflated prices for a Warner transfer.
Normally, I would agree with you, but since this is a 4K/UHD release, I'm happy Criterion released it. Now come on and do the same with Captain Blood.

Broomy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Not seen this one but love Angels With Dirty Faces so looking forward to checking this one out.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I wish it was a Warner Archive release, I hate paying Criterion's inflated prices for a Warner transfer.
I'll stick up for Criterion here and say that for me (and others here) the packaging, the writing, the booklet, the extras, totally justify the premium price. A Criterion release is an artisanal product and cannot (and should not) be priced like a bare bones mass market release. And if you have patience, you get at least 6 50% off opportunities a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks