What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Peeping Tom (1960) (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
unzQLMlUZtZU0z52W0WcCVJeek4NCO_large.jpg

Having brought British cinema into exalted realms of fantasy and imagination, Michael Powell took a dark detour into obsession, voyeurism, and violence with this groundbreaking metacinematic investigation into the mechanics of fear. Armed with his killer camera, photographer and filmmaker Mark Lewis (Carl Boehm) unleashes the traumas of his childhood by murdering women and recording their deaths—until he falls for his downstairs neighbor, and finds himself struggling against his dark compulsions. Received with revulsion upon its release only to be reclaimed as a masterpiece, the endlessly analyzed, still-shocking Peeping Tom dares viewers to confront their own relationship to the violence on-screen.

FILM INFO​

• United Kingdom
  • 101 minutes
  • Color
  • 1.66:1
  • English
  • Spine #58

4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
  • Two audio commentaries, one featuring film scholar Laura Mulvey and one featuring film historian Ian Christie
  • Introduction by filmmaker Martin Scorsese
  • Interview with editor Thelma Schoonmaker
  • Documentary about the film’s history, featuring interviews with Schoonmaker, Scorsese, and actor Carl Boehm
  • Documentary about screenwriter Leo Marks
  • Program on the film’s restoration
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • PLUS: An essay by author Megan Abbott

New cover by Eric Skillman

May 14, 2024

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I just bought the UK StudioCanal 4K, so to anyone who's been waiting for the announcement of a Criterion version, "You're welcome!" :thumbs-up-smiley:
I think a lot of us did. It has the same extras and master as the UK Studio Canal, except for the Laura Mulvey and Leo Marks, which are on the Criterion SD from upteen years ago, which I already have, so there seemed no reason to wait.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I procrastinated on the overseas release, so I'm glad about the Criterion release. A must have (as are practically all of Powell's films).
Now we need The Elusive Pimpernel in luscious Technicolor.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I procrastinated on the overseas release, so I'm glad about the Criterion release. A must have (as are practically all of Powell's films).
Now we need The Elusive Pimpernel in luscious Technicolor.
Likewise! I managed to control my urge to purchase this from the UK for a whole two weeks, but was going to order next week with the new 4K BFI Wages of Fear. I don't think I can't postpone ordering Wages of Fear though!

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I just bought the UK StudioCanal 4K, so to anyone who's been waiting for the announcement of a Criterion version, "You're welcome!" :thumbs-up-smiley:
I was waiting for Diabolik to get the 4K version of "PT" back in stock and place my order when I saw Criterion is putting it out. Even though it's slightly more (I'm determined to find it on sale) I'll wait for the Criterion

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Likewise! I managed to control my urge to purchase this from the UK for a whole two weeks, but was going to order next week with the new 4K BFI Wages of Fear. I don't think I can't postpone ordering Wages of Fear though!
Now I wonder if Criterion will do a "Wages" upgrade to 4K at some point

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I just bought that along with 10 or so other StudioCanal Vintage Classics discs earlier this month, so of course Criterion would announce this now...

But hey, maybe this means Criterion will be getting other StudioCanal titles back, like The Third Man, Kurosawa's Ran, the Ealing comedies, etc.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Now I wonder if Criterion will do a "Wages" upgrade to 4K at some point
I'm sure of it. Criterion released their own 4K UHD of The Seventh Seal, a year and a half after the British Film Institute released theirs. The Wages of Fear has been a cornerstone in the Criterion Collection since the 1991 LaserDisc. I'll wager that it's just a matter of time, until Criterion release a 4K UHD. I have the 2017 BFI blu-ray, which is much better than the 2009 Criterion blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks