What's new

The Movies' Greatest Action Sequences (1 Viewer)

John J. Riley

Auditioning
Real Name
John J. Riley
Browsed this thread quickly and didn't see it but what about the "Stampede" from The Lion King ?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
-Both the car chase against traffic and the final shoot-out at the end of "To Live And Die In L.A" are action-packed.

-Nada and Frank's all-out fist-fight in "They Live".

-The final battle between the Beast and Gaston in "Beauty And The Beast".

-The final fight at the end of "Bloodsport" with the great synth instrumental and Frank Dux doing split after split.

-The scene in "Die Hard" where John McClane sends an explosives-rigged chair down an elevator. The drop isn't exciting, but the end result is. A tower of flames shoots up the elevator shaft, John makes a dive and a shitload of windows are blown to pieces.

-The scene in "Lethal Weapon" where Martin Riggs runs down the Sunset Strip with a big gun and a determined look on his face.

I tend to like fights.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

More to come, I'm sure.

John J. Riley

Auditioning
Real Name
John J. Riley
The Rock (connery/cage) When the Navy Seals are ambushed in the shower room at Alcatraz. Extremely intense and riveting.

John Doran

Screenwriter
Pearl Harbor: for real. i'm watching the assault right now, and whatever bay's faults might be, he sure as shit nailed this one...

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The assault stuff in Pearl Harbor is truly excellent John. The moments that led up to the attack were really directed well too. It's those moments that Bay is at his best. If they could have just left the dialogue out. ;)

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Let's see here:

Star Wars - Escape from the Death Star - rescuing the Princess and getting out of there. Then, of course, the destruction of the Death Star in a massive rebel raid. Loved the rather vertigo inducing runs through the trench, while dodging the gun emplacements.

ATAT sequence in Empire Strikes Back - yeah, that was tense. Also, the asteroid chase.

About the only thing I liked about Phantom Menace was the duel between Darth Maul and Obi Wan Kenobi/Qui Gon Jinn. Very agile, and it made the Sith a palpable threat, because one Sith could successfully take on more than one Jedi.

The Flying Wing sequence in Raiders of the Lost Ark is another winner, because Indy is fighting a guy who looks to be about twice his size while the plane is moving. Spielberg allowed only the slightest chance for the audience to catch its breath before unleashing the truck "hijacking" - that he was also contending with heavily armed adversaries in other vehicles, not to mention all of the soldiers still on the truck itself - these two sequences alone helped make this one of my all time favorite movies.

Fire in the Castle and tank sequences in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

The Arnold Terminator VS the T 1000 in any of the hand to hand fights in Terminator 2 - A smaller, skinnier guy taking on Arnold? No way, you'd think at first, but Robert Patrick (T-1000) managed to make Arnold look like he had to really strive to win.

Tow truck sequence in Lethal Weapon 2 - Another palpable sense of danger for our hero, Martin Riggs (Mel Gibson) trying to stop the guy driving the tow truck.

Mini Cooper chase in The Italian Job (remake) The set up of the obstacles, such as Lyle/Napster's control of the street lights. Which armored car was it? The armored truck falling through the street, the chase through the tunnel. "Open your door!"

Spiderman - Save Mary Jane or the cable car full of kids? Green Goblin sure gave Peter Parker a nasty dilemma. It pays to be a geek, however, because Spidey managed to pull it off using pure brain power.

Runaway train sequence in Spiderman 2 - Wow, did Doc Ock leave Spidey with a dilemma! All those people in danger, and only Spiderman to save the day. Since he could not fly as Superman can, or have Supes's strength, he had to rely on tactics and his webbing. And he pulled it off very well!

Another person beat me to it, but yeah, the plane sequence in Superman Returns. In a lot of movies, they would not have had the hero contending with things such as the plane disintegrating, but Bryan Singer pulled off a winner with this one. No grab handles on the wings and an easy landing, that much is certain!

Missile attack scene in The Incredibles - Apparently, the animators had a tough time animating Helen's reactions correctly, because they wanted the character to be up to par with Holly Hunter's performance. Love the "100 mile Dash" sequence, featuring Dash's run through the jungle. Not only because of the action, but because the kid playing Dash did a great job, depicting Dash's first real chance to test the full range of his power. Also, the final battle with the Omni droid and the last confrontation with Syndrome. "I can't throw something, I might hit Jack-Jack!"

Barbarian Horde sequence in Gladiator - "My history's a little hazy, but aren't they supposed to LOSE the battle of Carthage?" [paraphrase] Maximus and his fellow gladiators are outnumbered, and the opposition are armed better and have horses, but apt teamwork pulled this one off. I love the confrontation of Commodus and Maximus, too.

Bond's escape from the outpost in Goldeneye.
The chase with the Lotus Esprit in The Spy Who Loved Me

Pearl Harbor - This was nailed because they interviewed survivors, and read the accounts of the battle carefully, I believe including from Japanese archives as well.

Real Name
William Goodspeed
Mission Impossible: The final action scene on the Tram or train. Right after, "Good morning Mr. Phelps". Phelps shoots his wife and then the action explodes on top of the train. The action is top notch. Great soundtrack too. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tomorrow Never Dies: Bond and Yeoh on that motorcycle being chased by the helicpoter. Very cool. Before that they jump from the building as Bond pulls down the flag holding on. It's a fantastic scene and one of the best Bond films.

True Lies: Ahnuld goes into the bathroom and they have the shootout and fight. That is awesome.

Real Name
Claire David
Back To The Future. When Marty runs out the diner and has to do a make shift job for a skate board. Wonderful scene, exhilarating action.

Josh.C

Second Unit
Here's a really good thread I missed while I was out last week. Nice one Timobi Wan!

I did my best to look through all 3 pages but to my best knowledge, here are some of my faves that haven't been mentioned. So many great calls already, you guys are pro's. BTW, Really nice job on the Mini Cooper sequence Lynda, I couldn't believe it took so long to surface.

Here we go:

Tombstone- sure you can tell by my sig that I love this movie. Several great sequences, but I'll have to put the showdown at the O.K. Corral at the top. I love the way Cosmatos shows the emotion portrayed on each mans face, and how quickly the whole thing went down. I especially love the quick switch frame to Doc Holiday's mouth "Say When". PERFECT!

Cast Away- what is it about airplane crash sequences that drive us crazy. Just look on the SR thread and you can get my feelings on that great scene. The plane crash in Cast Away was incredibly real and well done, What a sound mix on that scene as well. I'm a big fan of Zemeckis.

Gangs of New York- Opening fight sequence between the Natives and the Dead Rabbits. Bill the Butcher slaying Priest Vallon and the respect given to his death. Greatness.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
As far as I'm concerned, the Truck Chase from Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best choreographed/edited/scored action sequence of all time. Every scene is note-perfect, and considering how many extras almost get hit by cars, it's very realistic looking as well.

Other action scenes I could watch again and again:

Goldeneye: The entire pre-credits sequence--dam jump, sneaking through the base, the hilarious squeaky wheel, chasing the plane, jumping after the plane, falling into the plane, and then flying past the base as it explodes right into the credits. I also enjoy Bond and 006's one-on-one fight/chase at the end, which is pretty brutal and well-shot.

Temple of Doom: Mine cart chase (favorite bit-the bad guy cart hitting the poor sap lying on the tracks and rocketing off the path)

Last Crusade: Tank Sequence. With the volume turned way up :) The Indy Big Head Zoom at the end makes me smile every time.

Star Trek VI:The final battle between the Enterprise and the prototype Klingon ship.
Kirk: "Where's that damn torpedo?"
Bones: "It's ready, Jim. Lock and load!"
Kirk: [clenches fist] "Fire!"
Torpedo: ".......beep.................beep....." :)

Clue: Tim Curry's good 20-minute manic recap of the night's events near the end.

Return of the Jedi: Most of the final chunk of the movie, but the moment the Falcon dives into the Death Star and the reveal of the Main Reactor Core are obvious highlights.

The World Is Not Enough: Again, the entire pre-credits sequence. Beautifully shot chase down the Thames caps a lenghty, riveting opening.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion: Asuka vs. the mass-produced EVA units. Horrifically violent and gorgeously animated.

Cowboy Bebop:Knockin' on Heaven's Door: Spike & Vincent's fistfight at the top of the Eiffel Tower. Amazing.

Army of Darkness: Bruce vs. Pit Monster (especially the chainsaw jump) and then the oft-quoted monologuing that goes on afterwards.

Saving Private Ryan: Normandy Assult. The movie should have simply started here, on the boat, not with the lame poorly-acted modern day frame story preceding it.

Batman Begins: The Tumbler vs. well, Everybody Else. Very glad I saw this in a theatre with a robust sound system.

Mission:Impossible: The entire train sequence at the end as soon as Ethan attaches Jean Reno's helicopter to it.

Lord of the Rings trilogy:
-Balin's Tomb
-Gandalf vs. the Balrog (full sequence from TTT)
-Pelennor Fields (Theoden's "Holy Crap." face after seeing the Oliphants coming his way is priceless and you're right there with him)

-EDIT-
Totally forgot about the 45 minute firefight in the hospital at the end of Hard Boiled. The one 5-6 minute long shot of Tony Leung and Chow Yun Fat shooting their way through the hallways plays almost as a real-life First Person Shooter.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good stuff Josh. I know your love of Tombstone is shared by many here. That scene you chose is not only fiercely intense, it also has a COOL factor to it. When Club Timobi Wan is rebuilt...Tombstone will be one of the firsts viewed. :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt, your list is also great. Especially like this one...

:)

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Heat bank robbery scene (already mentioned by others). The ending scene from that movie was also very good (at the airport on the runways). I have really high hopes for Miami Vice.
Bad Boys when Tea Leoni's character gets kidnapped and Will Smith runs through stores and on a rooftop, and ends up in the street, with a cool slo-motion shot of both Will and Martin. BB II had a few similar scenes that were great as well, some of them mentioned here already. I never get tired of Bay's slo-motion shots. I can't wait for his take on The Transformers...

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Regarding that wonderfully intense train station sequence I spoke of from The Untouchables...here's a few screen grabs for those who've forgotten: :)

:)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i watched the Untouchables sequence the other day and i have to admit, i kind of laughed out loud when the sailors GET UP in the middle of a firefight to get shot :)
kinda took me out of the whole sequence.

Josh.C

Second Unit
I'm not sure which Jet Li flick it was (I'm thinking Kiss of the Dragon) where he has this hard core action sequence that ends with him jump kicking a pool ball through some dudes skull. It was pretty sweet. I think in the same movie he kills some big muscled brut with three chop sticks in the throat.

Not going to win any Oscar's but pretty darn good adrenaline pumping fight sequences.

JC

eke

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken W
One of my favorite action scenes is the hostage rescue at the end of "Proof of Life" (w/Russell Crowe & Meg Ryan).

Other favorites are the bank robbery/shootout in Heat, beginning and end of SPR, and Pellenor Fields in ROTK.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Loved Nightcrawler's attack on the President at the opening of X-Men 2; I especially love the Mozart (I think?) soundtrack. Wonderful.

The car chase in the Bourne Identity. Frantic, insane but with little touches you don't usually see in films, like Bourne checking maps and asking the lady if she takes care of the car, how it handles. Made if feel real.

To the Raiders truck chase, I must add the retrieval of the idol in the films opening. Two hall of fame action pieces in one film!

The entire conclusion of Terminator 2 in the foundry. Perfect cat and mouse in an incredible setting. Also love the Eveready bunny quality of the Terminator. What made him fearsome in the first film, makes him heroic in the second.

The Marines assault on the atmosphere processor in Aliens. A scene of such intensity, when it was done my hands were stiff from gripping the theater seat.

The final attack of the Surprise upon the French ship in Master and Commander. A complex piece of sustained action beautifully choreographed so you always had a sense of the geography and strategy involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks