What's new

The Movies' Greatest Action Sequences (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Josh, you inspired me. :D I watch movies on my 7" portable at work and today's main feature was Tombstone, in addition to Nick of Time and Out of Time. :emoji_thumbsup:

I hadn't watched Tombstone in awhile and even though I was working and couldn't devote my full attention to it, it was still great to see again. I may spin it in my HT here at home this weekend, I gather it will be better on a 103" screen instead. ;)

Also, that God-aweful edge enhancement on the Vista Series dvd wasn't noticable on my 7" screen LOL.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see someone mention this. It is the relentless aspect of these things that terrifies me.

--
H

Josh.C

Second Unit
John,

Glad to provide the inspiration. Part of the reason I love Tombstone so much is the re-watchability (think I just made a word up) factor. It has such strong characters, and just about everything Doc Holiday says could be used on the "greatest movie quotes" thread.

Thanks for the props,

JC

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Josh, one of the great things about Doc's dialogue in Tombstone is that those are remarks the REAL Doc Holliday made, that were culled from historical archives.

My favorite has to be the one where he is confronting Thomas Hayden Church, after Church's character pulls a knife and states that Doc is so drunk that he is probably seeing double. Doc then pulls out both of his pistols and says, "And I have one for each of you!"

Josh.C

Second Unit
Great Stuff Lynda,

Doc is one of my all time favorite movie characters, and you are correct in saying that using real quotes and sayings from the actual "Doc Holiday" makes them even better. Some may argue what Kilmer's greatest role has been, but I feel this is Kilmer at his finest. I couldn't imagine anyone doing DH more justice. I'm posting a few more of my favorite Tombstone quotes over on the all time great quotes thread if you'd like to check them out.

JC

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Wow...I am in total agreement with you here, Paul. Both absolutely GREAT action sequences.

Let me add another great from a Bond movie: the pre-credit sequence in TOMORROW NEVER DIES...it has everything you'd want in an action sequence!

Real Name
William Goodspeed

There are some really great action sequences in TND Chris. It's my favorite of the Brosnan Bonds.

There are many of those great pre-credit sequences that just rock. Someone already mentioned the opening to World Is Not Enough. Awesome.

Real Name
Claire David
The Long Kiss Goodnight I know it's a film way over the top but it does have it's share of great action pieces. When Samantha (Charlie) and SLJackson meet at the train station looking for Prof. Walden. That's a great scene. She ends up shooting the window out and they are forced to jump out into the ice. On the way down, she's shooting holes in the ice. Way over the top but cool too.

Always cool when a woman plays a bad-ass. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
One last comment about Tombstone from me. In addition to every line of dialogue by Doc mentioned here, i'll add a couple more that i've always liked...

Wyatt...
"This isn't your fight, Doc, no need for you to get mixed up in this."

Doc...
"That is a helluva thing to say to me."

He's so hurt by Wyatt's comment there that it's really powerful IMO, I mean after all they've been through together, Doc's got his back, always.

Ike...
"I'm gonna kill you"

Doc...
"Your a daisy if ya do."

Doc...
"I'm your Huckelberry."

Lastly, my favorite lines from Wyatt, and IMO Kurt Russel's finest moment on-screen period...

(After getting Ike on the ground and slashing his face with his spur)"You called down the thunder and now you've got it!"

(Opens his coat) "You see that? It says 'United States Marshall'! The Cowboys are finished you hear me, I see a red sash I kill the man wearin' it! So run you turd! You tell em' i'm comin' and hell's comin' with me...HELL'S COMIN' WITH ME!!"

That scene gives me freakin' chills, I can't imagine the angel of death himself being any scarier than Wyatt there! :)

Okay, back to your regularly schedualed action scene thread. ;)

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
As long as we're talking about Bond pre-credits scenes, I've got to mention Octopussy. The opening had great humor and espionage, and the plane being chased by the missile had terrific tension.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Octopussy had some great scenes for sure. The opening as you mentioned and the scene when the baddies come after Bond and Maud Adams (octopussy) with that round saw. That was an incredible action sequence.

Real Name
William Goodspeed
Can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned yet:

Serenity The first act right after the credits. Mal & crew trying to make the deal, when the Reivers show up. That entire sequence of them leaving, Mal shooting the innocent man taken by the reievers, and their getaway, "hang on honey, we're coming to you!" is a hoot. Great action that ended with River saying, "I swallowed a bug" :D.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Doc: "Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave."

Tombstone has some fantastic moments, and Val Kilmer's finest performance ever. Now if we could only get a decent treatment of the film on DVD. I just watched it for the first time in a long time last night, and the Vista Series transfer looks like absolute shit. Much worse than I remember it. Disney should be shot for releasing such a horrid travesty.

Sorry for the threadjacking, but I had to vent.

Josh.C

Second Unit
I've got it too, and sadly, I just have to try and put the flaws in the back of my mind and enjoy the greatness of the film. Maybe we could send in a petition for a better cut. I haven't made the switch to HD or Blu-Ray, but hopefully when I do, they will have a fantastic transfer of Tombstone, that does it justice.

JC

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It's not that bad of a transfer. Pretty bad, but I've seen worse.

dany, it is in 5.1 with Dolby Digital and DTS. Sounds pretty good.

Good call on Serenity William. Not only is that scene AWESOME, but the audio on that (especially with a great sub) is freakin' OUT OF THIS WORLD. It will put a smile on your face that lasts a good while. :)

Not necessarily an action sequence per se...but when River goes into what I would call "beast" mode and dashes into the Reivers....:) pretty cool. :emoji_thumbsup:

Elayna Rainwater

Auditioning
Real Name
Elayna Rainwater
My hubby loves Arnold (Ahnuld) How about this wonderful action moment from Eraser It's really the last truely great Arnold role IMO.

The scene where Arnold and Vanessa W. are trapped in the city zoo. Arnold shoots the Aligator tank and they come shooting out. VERY intense moment. Arnold later says to one unlucky Aligator, "You're luggage!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks