What's new

So What Happens With The Stuff CBS Retained? (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
OK, We see in their mega deal with VEI that gutted a bunch of their vintage unreleased library, there were obviously some very large glaring ommisions to say the least. I'm wondering what you guys feel is the future of this stuff. I've broken them down into 2 categories:

1) Remaining Stalled Sets - 7 major ones remain. My 3 Sons, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Happy Days, Love Boat. (Not including Room 222 as we know there aren't available masters)

2) Unreleased Older Shows - Defenders, Our Miss Brooks, High Chapparral, The Millionaire, Trackdown, Ben Casey, Dear John

Now I realize they have quite a few other older short lived shows left in their libary as well but the above are the main bunch of major shows they own left incomplete.

Question now is what happens with these? Further licensing from VEI (or someone else, but who?) Was this year an abberation and they go back to releasing these themselves? Or are they all pretty much DOA at this point?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think category 1 generally has better chances because if CBS really decides they are out of the business, and they seem to be heading that way quickly, then they would be willing to license those and most would find ready partners. If VEI can make money with Angie, then they will take Gunsmoke and The Beverly Hillbillies. I'm sure Shout Factory would be thrilled to have Happy Days and The Love Boat. (Room 222 is owned by Fox, so that's a whole other headache...

The second category is harder because there are just fewer and fewer companies releasing stuff like that. CBS said there was interest in The Defenders, but not enough to pay for transferring the masters. The others might have a chance if the elements are ready and usable. I'd guess that Trackdown and High Chaparral probably have the best chances of any of those.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
For some reason I typed Room 222 while intending to refer to Love American Style. Don't quite know where that came from.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Does CBS own the Bob Cummings Show (aka Love That Bob)? That was the first show Paul Henning wrote on, so it is the precursor of Beverly Hillbillies and all the great shows related to it.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
If CBS does give up on Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction then I hope someone does pick them up. It still remains to be seen if VEI will make money or lose money with the current releases they have. I'm still in the camp that thinks they are going to lose money on releases that CBS had good reason for stalling or not releasing. Add to that reviews and word of mouth that the VEI releases are of mediocre quality. If they lose money they will not likely pursue any more releases.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
VEI must have had some satisfactory level of success with Diagnosis Murder and The Mod Squad, or they wouldn't have pursued this larger deal for other abandoned CBS titles.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I think these stalled series are prime candidates for licensing out, so I'm remaining optimistic for now.

As for less remembered series, how many multiple season runs are left unrepresented on DVD that fall under CBS ownership?

To Rome With Love (2 seasons) is one that piqued my curiosity that I'd of liked to have checked out, so I'm sure there's numerous other successful shows that didn't quite become hits and receive regular syndication.

I also don't see The Nurses listed. That ran for three seasons before a change of network and format occurred that apparently saw it become a daytime soap opera on ABC for two more years. Does CBS not own this anymore?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Frank Soyke said:
OK, We see in their mega deal with VEI that gutted a bunch of their vintage unreleased library, there were obviously some very large glaring ommisions to say the least. I'm wondering what you guys feel is the future of this stuff. I've broken them down into 2 categories:

1) Remaining Stalled Sets - 7 major ones remain. My 3 Sons, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Happy Days, Love Boat. (Not including Room 222 as we know there aren't available masters)

2) Unreleased Older Shows - Defenders, Our Miss Brooks, High Chapparral, The Millionaire, Trackdown, Ben Casey, Dear John

Now I realize they have quite a few other older short lived shows left in their libary as well but the above are the main bunch of major shows they own left incomplete.

Question now is what happens with these? Further licensing from VEI (or someone else, but who?) Was this year an abberation and they go back to releasing these themselves? Or are they all pretty much DOA at this point?
I am still hopeful that Shout! will do something on The Beverly Hillbillies. When it became clear Constantly Being Stalled wasn't doing anything, I went on the Shout! FB page and asked them to "step up to the plate." Their response was that they would "dust off their cleats" or something like that.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ron1973 said:
I am still hopeful that Shout! will do something on The Beverly Hillbillies. When it became clear Constantly Being Stalled wasn't doing anything, I went on the Shout! FB page and asked them to "step up to the plate." Their response was that they would "dust off their cleats" or something like that.
That sounds promising Ron. I'd really like to get that set finished.

Seanhtf

Grip
Real Name
Sean O'Malley
bigshot said:
Does CBS own the Bob Cummings Show (aka Love That Bob)? That was the first show Paul Henning wrote on, so it is the precursor of Beverly Hillbillies and all the great shows related to it.

The Bob Cummings Show/Love That Bob is at Universal.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Ron1973 said:

Too bad that it's all but certain that despite syndication opportunities for shows like The Beverly Hillbillies, any such deals almost certainly wouldn't involve any remastering.

But at this point, I'd take just about anything that I could get where my favorites in that stalled list are concerned.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I hope VEI does indeed make money from their license from CBS. I bought Cannon and I will be getting Angie and Barnaby Jones.

I think CBS, like all of the other major studios (except possibly Warner) would be willing ot license their stuff out. I could see Shout or VEI picking up several of the shows you listed.

I'd love for either Shout or VEI agressively go after Buena Vista (Disney) to get Empty Nest. That is one of my last really big grail shows. There are a few others, but Empty Nest is certainly on the top of the list.

Honestly, after Angie and Barnaby Jones, I'm not too hopeful about new releases (with the exception of Saturday Morning shows). I'm gonna concentrate on picking up stuff that I didn't get or wasn't able to get when they came out. I have a feeling that next year is going to be a bit more bleak when it comes to new releases. I could be wrong and I hope I am, but the writing seems to be on the wall. The big studios got into this quickly. Made as much money as they could and now they are pulling out just as fast. That leaves just the smaller independant companies. They will stick around for a little bit longer because their expectations are not as high, but eventually they will pull out as well.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
LeoA said:
Too bad that it's all but certain that despite syndication opportunities for shows like The Beverly Hillbillies, any such deals almost certainly wouldn't involve any remastering.

But at this point, I'd take just about anything that I could get where my favorites in that stalled list are concerned.
The Columbia House VHS tapes were presentable and I'm sure it was a downgrade going to VHS. I have to think even off the shelf masters are going to be presentable on DVD, even if they're not up to the Constantly Being Stalled remastered level.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
FanCollector said:
I think category 1 generally has better chances because if CBS really decides they are out of the business, and they seem to be heading that way quickly, then they would be willing to license those and most would find ready partners. If VEI can make money with Angie, then they will take Gunsmoke and The Beverly Hillbillies. I'm sure Shout Factory would be thrilled to have Happy Days and The Love Boat. (Room 222 is owned by Fox, so that's a whole other headache...

The second category is harder because there are just fewer and fewer companies releasing stuff like that. CBS said there was interest in The Defenders, but not enough to pay for transferring the masters. The others might have a chance if the elements are ready and usable. I'd guess that Trackdown and High Chaparral probably have the best chances of any of those.

The last information I received from CBS (dating back to around March 2014) regarding The Defenders was that the series exists only on film and the transfer costs as well as the music clearances were so prohibitively high that not only did CBS pass on distributing it in-house but other distributors (Shout! in particular) did as well. RLJ/Image apparently never expressed any interest and I'm not sure if VEI was ever contacted or showed any interest.

The Defenders is my "grail" television series title for sure so I would love to see a complete series release on DVD but that possibility seems more and more remote with each passing day. :(

Darby

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the details, Darby. I think that the one thing that could happen to change things for the better in the TV in DVD sphere would be a technological advance that makes film transfer cheaper and easier. If that cost went down, I think there might be a lot of series at a certain popularity threshold that could find distributors. Failing that, I'm afraid a lot of good shows like The Defenders will remain locked away in the vault.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It seems like Encore has stepped up and had a few Westerns remastered for broadcast. As they continue branching across genre's maybe they will pickup a show like Defenders and "dust it off" for a syndication run. Even if it didn't result in official releases captures could be made.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I hope VEI does indeed make money from their license from CBS. I bought Cannon and I will be getting Angie and Barnaby Jones.

I think CBS, like all of the other major studios (except possibly Warner) would be willing ot license their stuff out. I could see Shout or VEI picking up several of the shows you listed.

I'd love for either Shout or VEI agressively go after Buena Vista (Disney) to get Empty Nest. That is one of my last really big grail shows. There are a few others, but Empty Nest is certainly on the top of the list.

Honestly, after Angie and Barnaby Jones, I'm not too hopeful about new releases (with the exception of Saturday Morning shows). I'm gonna concentrate on picking up stuff that I didn't get or wasn't able to get when they came out. I have a feeling that next year is going to be a bit more bleak when it comes to new releases. I could be wrong and I hope I am, but the writing seems to be on the wall. The big studios got into this quickly. Made as much money as they could and now they are pulling out just as fast. That leaves just the smaller independant companies. They will stick around for a little bit longer because their expectations are not as high, but eventually they will pull out as well.
I'm hopeful for VEI, too. Hopeful that they somehow make money on all of this, and also hopeful that they went into this deal with realistic expectations. I've purchased several of their previous complete series sets and was satisfied. I plan to purchase Barnaby Jones, Cannon and Hotel all at once when Barnaby is released next month. I'll also get Angie and Petrocelli whenever those come out. (I'm guessing the 1st half of next year?) I appreciate that VEI will make an entire series available at once, so there isn't the usual concern over whether or not they will eventually release all seasons or stop before a series is finished.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Dave Lawrence said:
I'm hopeful for VEI, too. Hopeful that they somehow make money on all of this, and also hopeful that they went into this deal with realistic expectations. I've purchased several of their previous complete series sets and was satisfied. I plan to purchase Barnaby Jones, Cannon and Hotel all at once when Barnaby is released next month. I'll also get Angie and Petrocelli whenever those come out. (I'm guessing the 1st half of next year?) I appreciate that VEI will make an entire series available at once, so there isn't the usual concern over whether or not they will eventually release all seasons or stop before a series is finished.
I love what VEI is doing as well. As I've said before though, I don't hold out too much hope on them picking up the older stuff (50's and 60's) as they have never shown any inclination on putting anything out pre 70's.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Like us all, I certainly hope that VEI is successful with their complete series releases...personally, I'm only in for CANNON, BARNABY JONES and PETROCELLI...

I guess another hallmark of CBS's exit from the tv on dvd market is how deeply discounted their catalogue is on Amazon and other sites...I've been fleshing out my collections of GUNSMOKE, HGWT, PERRY MASON, LUCY SHOW, GOMER PYLE half season and complete season volumes at about $9 US...I've never seen them at anywhere near these prices...I had just recently completed my RAWHIDE and MANNIX series at the much higher price points...so, this is a recent development...

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
It was my understanding that Our Miss Brooks was remastered for use by Me-TV. So why would it be so difficult for CBS to create a DVD set from this ??

As for Ben Casey...my holy grail...I would take a DVD set even if its unrestored. The prints shown on CBN several years ago looked acceptable. IMHO, unrestored would be better than nothing at all. I know there are bootlegs of this show available, but dont want to go that route as of yet, but just may have to eventually. The fact that CBS/Paramount isn't doing anything to stop these bootlegs just shows me they don't care about this show.

CBS blew a good thing when they didn't get their older shows out more quickly. Unfortunately, the audience for these shows diminishes with time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks