What's new

Major 60s Shows Left (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Like Green Acres, several of these are realistic hopes for the future (At least for additional seasons).

The Donna Reed Show is incomplete, as is Make Room for Daddy. They originated in the 1950's, but a substantial portion of their run was in the 1960's (Over 75% of The Donna Reed Show's 8 seasons were in this decade, including the three seasons that remain absent on DVD).

Lassie is another that hasn't even been attempted in season form, with over half of the most fondly remembered era of the show having aired in the early 1960's. It's the show's second incarnation that most fans want the most, and which on the surface would appear to have the most realistic hope of something positive still happening at this late date.
I used to think that Lassie was a shoo-in for completes seasons . The show was poorly handled on DVD by Classic Media, and I believe most of it is out of print now.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I had forgotten about that.
It's hard for me to forget about it as some of those cuts literally made episodes unwatchable for me, specifically my favorite episode LITTLE GIRL BLUE. It no longer has Nabors singing "Put on a Happy Face," which was kinda the point and emotional climax, at least for me, of the episode.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
I truly believe that Bonanza and Gunsmoke have a chance at finishing their runs. BUT I also believe that those releases would not be done by the folks at CBS.

It would be amazing if a company like Shout picks up where CBS left off. Heck, their prices would most probably be more affordable too.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I truly believe that Bonanza and Gunsmoke have a chance at finishing their runs. BUT I also believe that those releases would not be done by the folks at CBS.

It would be amazing if a company like Shout picks up where CBS left off. Heck, their prices would most probably be more affordable too.

More affordable, but also no remastering. If licensed out one has to hope that the current masters are at least in decent shape.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
Wasn't Bonanza released complete in region 2? Were those remastered? I'm not sure what the rights issues would be, but theoretically it seems like it should be possible to just convert those to region 1.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't Bonanza released complete in region 2? Were those remastered? I'm not sure what the rights issues would be, but theoretically it seems like it should be possible to just convert those to region 1.
The region 2 releases were not remastered. Region 2 High Chaparrel was also not remastered.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

As Randy stated they were not remastered. They were also based on what were originally German syndicated prints that included German dubbing. I highly doubt they would be used in a US release. However, Bonanza season 2 released in the US was based on prints that were not remastered, so there is a good chance the remaining season would be similar. While not up to par with the remastered seasons, season 2 was good enough for me.

Gunsmoke may be another story. I always heard the syndicated prints were pretty washed out. We would have to wait and see how the masters may be.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
More affordable, but also no remastering. If licensed out one has to hope that the current masters are at least in decent shape.
Remember, though, Happy Days hasn't been released in full, yet Hulu is showing HD mastered shows of some of the later episodes. It could be the same with Bonanza and Gunsmoke.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Remember, though, Happy Days hasn't been released in full, yet Hulu is showing HD mastered shows of some of the later episodes. It could be the same with Bonanza and Gunsmoke.

True. Many (myself included) did not think Flipper season 3 would be released on blu-ray anytime soon because we figured the transferring/remastering would have stopped after season 2 when the series stalled on DVD. I guess it depends on why the releases to DVD stalled, cost to remaster/license music, sales projections. It sounds like for Happy Days it might have been the later.

Questions about CBS would be: Would they license out premier titles like Bonanza and Gunsmoke? Would they include prints from HD master, if available? So far what CBS has provide through licensing has been closer to subpar, but we typically still get a surprise from time to time.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
True. Many (myself included) did not think Flipper season 3 would be released on blu-ray anytime soon because we figured the transferring/remastering would have stopped after season 2 when the series stalled on DVD. I guess it depends on why the releases to DVD stalled, cost to remaster/license music, sales projections. It sounds like for Happy Days it might have been the later.

Questions about CBS would be: Would they license out premier titles like Bonanza and Gunsmoke? Would they include prints from HD master, if available? So far what CBS has provide through licensing has been closer to subpar, but we typically still get a surprise from time to time.
Like I always say, I can live with less than perfect picture quality to get the shows uncut.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I tend to be in the camp of half full is better than half empty, so if it comes down to less perfect or nothing at all, I will always favor less perfect.

Even though CBS is now licensing out some series, there still appears to be a sense of some shows being licensable and others either not or too costly to license (no man's land). Unfortunately, some of their most desired stalled shows appear to be in "no man's land", they appear to have no time/money to do anything with them and won't allow others access to them. My biggest gripe is "My Three Son's". As a family we are just about done with season two (stretching it out as long as possible). I sure wish the remaining B/W seasons were released. At this point, I don't even care about the music substitutions since it did not deter from our enjoyment one bit. That said, this is my first time ever viewing these seasons so i know I'm in the minority.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
A smarter idea is to simultaneously continue the B/W episodes while starting to release the 1965-72 color CBS episodes.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
A smarter idea is to simultaneously continue the B/W episodes while starting to release the 1965-72 color CBS episodes.

I've said it before, but this one would be perfect for two Shout Factory style box sets, The episode count is almost a perfect 50/50 split between the b&w and color seasons, providing a logical divide to split up the series into two halves.

A 12 season complete series set would be almost impractically large, and guaranteed to be very expensive. This way, 12 seasons could be released in a logical and more manageable manner, rather than trickle standalone seasons out in the hope that they'll finish it eventually.

A lot of dedicated DVD fans are willing to buy something like The Phil Silvers Show from Shout on day 1. Expensive, but after retailer discounts, it's workable on day 1 for quite a few folks. But I'm afraid if they tried a giant 12 season set for this classic from CBS, it would be doomed.

Myself and a few others would try to make it work since this is such a favorite for us, but all but the most diehard of My Three Sons/DVD fans would be turned off by the price.

Last edited:

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan

As others have stated Gunsmoke & Bonanza are among the CBS shows that have been remastered and have HD masters available. It will be up to Shout to acquire them.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Major 60s shows than haven't received any kind of release, not even partial

Ben Casey (five seasons)
Adventures in Paradise (three)
12 O'Clock High (two and a half)
Run For Your Life (Three)
The Nurses (three)
And 77 Sunset Strip (part of it was from the sixties)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
As others have stated Gunsmoke & Bonanza are among the CBS shows that have been remastered and have HD masters available. It will be up to Shout to acquire them.

We only know for sure that HD masters are available for the seasons already released. Unless you have evidence otherwise, we have no idea if HD masters have been created for the unreleased seasons or season 2 of Bonanza that was released from an older SD masters. We also don't know if CBS would even be willing to license them out, at this time.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Major 60s shows than haven't received any kind of release, not even partial

Ben Casey (five seasons)
Adventures in Paradise (three)
12 O'Clock High (two and a half)
Run For Your Life (Three)
The Nurses (three)
And 77 Sunset Strip (part of it was from the sixties)
I would buy all of these.... first day purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks