What's new

So What Unreleased /Stalled Shows Still Have A Chance? (1 Viewer)

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Well my holy grail list has gone way down after this year of releases......however, there are still a few left on my list:

"Knots Landing" (Music Clearance Issues......STILL!!!!)

"The Drew Carey Show" (Music Clearance Issues......but I am surprised we haven't heard an announcement on this one yet because it is shown on LAFF TV and I notice it had generated renewed popularity on Amazon (increased sales on the 1st season DVD's). Plus I wrote to Shout Factory last year and they wrote me back stating they were looking into the series.....so I thought that was the December Surprise from Shout! But I am just as happy that it was "One Day At A Time" instead. Who knows......maybe Shout will still announce some more surprises (Hopefully).

"Phyllis" (I heard the film elements to this show were damaged (its an Fox / MTM property)......I know Shout recently went back and redid the 5th Season of "Rhoda" because some of the film elements were bad on the transfer (they delayed the release to October) and "Lou Grant" last season (Season 5) also has been indefinitely been delayed. Apparently Fox didn't take very good care of the MTM properties. I am hoping Shout Factory will release this last MTM property eventually.

"The Sonny And Cher Show (Comedy Hour)" (also Sonny and Cher's later incarnation of the show after the divorce and their solo shows). Like "The Carol Burnett Show", I do not expect full seasons sets of this variety series mainly due to all the music clearances that they would have to clear here. Plus there is so many different versions of their shows, I am assuming someone like Time Life / Star Vista, will be the studio to release this one. One of the posters on another post mentioned Time Life was going to release another variety show before the end of the year, after they released "Laugh In". So far, according to Time Life's website, they still have different configurations box sets of "The Carol Burnett Show", "Laugh In" and now they are selling the completed series of "All In The Family".....which is odd cause it's the same exact box set that Shout Factory released a couple of years ago. Who knows, maybe Time Life will have a holiday surprise before the end of the year!!!

"Empty Nest" - Someone mentioned this one already.....it's a Disney property....it's also another show that is on LAFF TV. So maybe it will get outsourced to someone like VEI Entertainment or Shout? Hopefully.

"Our Miss Brooks" - Now I was very very young when I saw the reruns to this show. I heard they were doing something with this show recently.....I certainly hope so, cause it was a good show from the 1950's and because it's a black and white series, recent generations don't really appreciate these shows.....so getting it on DVD is going to be harder and harder to find an audience. Hopefully this one will get out there soon.

Other rarer shows that I don't know if they will ever get released on DVD, but here is a shout out to them

"Dear John" (starring Judd Hursh.......which recently I caught on a local Chicago t.v. station......forgot about this show!)

"Bette" (Bette Midler's short lived sitcom.....it was good show.....and love the Divine Ms. M)

"Goodtime Girls" (Another short lived sitcom starring Annie Potts. I believe Garry Marshall produced this one around the time "Happy Days", "Laverne and Shirley", "Angie" and "Mork and Mindy" were in their hay day. Unfortunately this show didn't make it past 13 episodes.

And Lastly, shows that might make it to Blu Ray? The only ones I can see right now might be "Seinfeld" (Rumor about this show going to blu ray surfaced earlier in the year.....but haven't heard a word of it again. Or maybe "Roseanne" and "Will And Grace" since both shows are getting a revival series this upcoming television season.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I still and maybe foolishly, hold out hope for my "Holy Grail"....Ben Casey.
It's really a travesty that many lesser quality shows have jumped ahead of this well written classic series.
I don't believe the reason is for music clearances. That's the time worn excuse many companies use because they are unwilling to remaster. I believe there is still an audience out there for this series, but the clock is ticking.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd totally forgotten about The Drew Carey Show! I really like the early seasons and recall enjoying it all the way through. Should Shout! release a full series set I'd jump on it in a heartbeat as well! I have that S1 set but it's absolutely not enough...

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
There are a lot of episodes from 16 MM "out there" in PD-land . Maybe we'll still get a Lock -Up release similar to the ones we've had on One Step Beyond, Mr. And Mrs. North , and Decoy .

I have over three dozen obscure TV series from the 1950s that were obviously derived from 16mm prints. I don't know if they are PD or not. At least I've been able to get them.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I have over three dozen obscure TV series from the 1950s that were obviously derived from 16mm prints. I don't know if they are PD or not. At least I've been able to get them.
Hi Regulus , Yeah , I have a lot of shows from 16MM as well - things like Meet Corliss Archer , and Ramar Of The Jungle, and all evidentially legitimately released. . Like you, I'm happy to have them too , regardless of the source . My guess is that going forward , most of the 1950's stuff we get will be this type of release . Film Chest has released several of these shows, and I'll be happy to get more of them!

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
I am glad to see Bette mentioned and hopefully it shows up. In terms of shows that have been started on DVD but not finished I always have hope that Murphy Brown, Who's The Boss, the Drew Carey Show and Dharma and Greg will be completed (although I feel these are long shots. In terms of shows I would like to be released (and possibly have a chance) are: the Golden Palace, Three Sisters, Whoopi, Boston Common, Major Dad, and Something So Right. I am not sure of their chances but one can always hope :)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
A great mystery to me is that East Side West Side has never been considered for release on home video and has pretty much disappeared .

I concur, Lou. Being that it lasted for only 1 season of 26 episodes, you would think it would be a one-and-done for an outfit like Shout or Kino. I'm not sure of the syndication history of the show (lack of exposure could scare off any potential distributors of a home video release) and, of course, there could be issues such as lack of transfers (like The Defenders) or music clearances that could be holding up a release.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I concur, Lou. Being that it lasted for only 1 season of 26 episodes, you would think it would be a one-and-done for an outfit like Shout or Kino. I'm not sure of the syndication history of the show (lack of exposure could scare off any potential distributors of a home video release) and, of course, there could be issues such as lack of transfers (like The Defenders) or music clearances that could be holding up a release.

There must be existing tape transfers of all (or most) of this series floating around, since it was rerun on the defunct cable network Trio in the early 2000s as part of their "Brilliant But Cancelled" series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trio_(TV_network)#Brilliant_But_Cancelled

I don't know if Shout is scared off of black and white series now, but maybe Kino will do something with this...

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
There must be existing tape transfers of all (or most) of this series floating around, since it was rerun on the defunct cable network Trio in the early 2000s as part of their "Brilliant But Cancelled" series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trio_(TV_network)#Brilliant_But_Cancelled

I don't know if Shout is scared off of black and white series now, but maybe Kino will do something with this...

Jason:

Thank you for the information on East Side/West Side's syndication. I really hope some distributor can find the situation financially feasible enough to release it on DVD (I hope the same for the remaining 3 seasons of The Defenders).

Last edited:

Xphile620

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Blaker
Any idea why Boston Public was never released? Music rights? I remember that being very critically acclaimed during it's run.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
And Lastly, shows that might make it to Blu Ray? The only ones I can see right now might be "Seinfeld" (Rumor about this show going to blu ray surfaced earlier in the year.....but haven't heard a word of it again. Or maybe "Roseanne" and "Will And Grace" since both shows are getting a revival series this upcoming television season.

"Roseanne" probably won't hit Blu-ray, since it was shot on videotape in standard definition. As for "Will and Grace", it didn't start shooting in HD until the 2004 season.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
About ten years ago there were rumors on TVShowsonDVD.com of work being done to replace music for a possible DVD release of the 87/88 show Frank's Place starring Tim Reid. Anything ever come of this?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The only grail show I have left is “My World ... and Welcome to It” starring the incredibly versatile William Windom. It aired for 26 episodes on NBC in the 1969-70 TV season.

Windom won a 1970 Emmy for Best Actor in a Comedy Series for his portrayal of John Monroe. And the series itself won the 1970 Emmy for Best Comedy Series.

CBS reaired the entire series in the summer of 1972. Evidently most people saw the series for the first time during this period as the ratings for the show typical doubled the NBC Nielsen numbers. As far as I’m aware the series has not been seen since the CBS rebroadcast.

This satirical award winning series was way, way, ahead of its time; and it’s a tragedy that it’s not currently available on DVD or Blu-ray.

Last edited:

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
As far as I’m aware the series has not been seen since the CBS rebroadcast.

This satirical award winning series was way, way, ahead of its time; and it’s a tragedy that it’s not currently available on DVD or Blu-ray.
Actually, My World And Welcome to It aired on national cable systems as part of the syndex rules during the early '90s. It was also aired on Foxnet shortly after that period.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
CBS reaired the entire series in the summer of 1972. Evidently most people saw the series for the first time during this period as the ratings for the show typical doubled the NBC Nielsen numbers. As far as I’m aware the series has not been seen since the CBS rebroadcast..

Ah, this explains why I remember seeing it! I turned six that summer--couldn't figure how I could recall a show that was on when I was 3 years old...

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
My World and Welcome To It was rescreened when Channel 4 first begun in the UK. I remember it from its original broadcast in the UK. Does anyone know please why this excellent series has not yet appeared on DVD?

Maxman43

Agent
Real Name
Bill
Ok, see we've seen some surprises lately (ODAAT, Laugh-In , Green Acres) so I'm wondering which other unreleased or stalled shows have a legitimate chance of release....
Let's look at a few genres/decades, etc.
The 50's - I think for the most part we will see very little stuff from the 50s that hasn't already been released, come out. While many of us would love to see things like Our Miss Brooks, Margie, Ann Sothern etc come out demographics and possible sales potential are not high for this stuff anymore so I'm thinking distributors probably will steer clear of this stuff. I think the only things from this era that may see the light of day would be a few more Warner items (Colt 45?) , Trackdown, and I do feel that eventually Gunsmoke will be complete. If not by CBS, maybe a licensee. And of course there is always the chance Sam Nelson comes through with the Ozzie and Harriet stuff but I see very little happening more with this era.
60's- ditto Bonanza as I stated with Gunsmoke and I gotta feel Hillbilies will be completed at some point. It's too iconic not to be. Not so certain on Petticoat Junction. The WA detective shows are always a possibility but who knows, and we can hope for Shout to continue Defenders... and let's not forget about the rumored Peyton Place set... other wise I don't think we will see much. us fans of one season 60s sitcoms and dramas have probably seen our best days so I wouldn't expect Many Happy Returns, THE Cat, He and She, etc. Also most of the Fox stuff (12 O Clock High, Julia, Rest of Burkes Law, Felony Squad, etc) probably never will come out. I think the Green Hornet is the only Fox property that stands a chance due to its cult status. And of course my #1 grail show Run For Your Life is most likely never coming out..
70s- with the recent announcement of One Day... Chico and the Man stands alone as the only long running unreleased sitcom from that decade. I used to think it was a slam dunk to come out but I'm now thinking it never will. Other wise the 70s have seen most big shows released.
The Universal fire stuff (Baretta, Switch, BJ/Lobo) being the only big vacuum. We can hope Columbia continues with Love Boat and somebody picks up the rest of Fantasy Island but I wouldnt count on it.... and whether CBS finishes Happy Days is anybody's guess but I think if anything more from the 70 were to come out it would be the above titles or Archie Bunkers Place.
I,don't think we'll see much else..... Maybe a Knots Landing superset if they get the music rights resolved
but don't hold your breath.
80s- Holding my hope out for some one season cult type shows yet (Enos, It's Your Move) but most of the big 80s stuff is already out there. This is still a decent demographic so maybe something like Trapper John, It's A Living, Silver Spoons, Fall Guy, Benson, or Too Close For Comfort still might be released or unstalled respectively and come out but I wouldn't bet money on any of those. Later 80s stuff ( Midnight Caller, Dear John, Different World, Head of the Class, etc would seem to have a decent market but nobody seems interested in giving this stuff a go..
Thoughts????

My Three Sons seems to be stalled at the 1st & 2nd season release only.

Maxman43

Agent
Real Name
Bill
Ok, see we've seen some surprises lately (ODAAT, Laugh-In , Green Acres) so I'm wondering which other unreleased or stalled shows have a legitimate chance of release....
Let's look at a few genres/decades, etc.
The 50's - I think for the most part we will see very little stuff from the 50s that hasn't already been released, come out. While many of us would love to see things like Our Miss Brooks, Margie, Ann Sothern etc come out demographics and possible sales potential are not high for this stuff anymore so I'm thinking distributors probably will steer clear of this stuff. I think the only things from this era that may see the light of day would be a few more Warner items (Colt 45?) , Trackdown, and I do feel that eventually Gunsmoke will be complete. If not by CBS, maybe a licensee. And of course there is always the chance Sam Nelson comes through with the Ozzie and Harriet stuff but I see very little happening more with this era.
60's- ditto Bonanza as I stated with Gunsmoke and I gotta feel Hillbilies will be completed at some point. It's too iconic not to be. Not so certain on Petticoat Junction. The WA detective shows are always a possibility but who knows, and we can hope for Shout to continue Defenders... and let's not forget about the rumored Peyton Place set... other wise I don't think we will see much. us fans of one season 60s sitcoms and dramas have probably seen our best days so I wouldn't expect Many Happy Returns, THE Cat, He and She, etc. Also most of the Fox stuff (12 O Clock High, Julia, Rest of Burkes Law, Felony Squad, etc) probably never will come out. I think the Green Hornet is the only Fox property that stands a chance due to its cult status. And of course my #1 grail show Run For Your Life is most likely never coming out..
70s- with the recent announcement of One Day... Chico and the Man stands alone as the only long running unreleased sitcom from that decade. I used to think it was a slam dunk to come out but I'm now thinking it never will. Other wise the 70s have seen most big shows released.
The Universal fire stuff (Baretta, Switch, BJ/Lobo) being the only big vacuum. We can hope Columbia continues with Love Boat and somebody picks up the rest of Fantasy Island but I wouldnt count on it.... and whether CBS finishes Happy Days is anybody's guess but I think if anything more from the 70 were to come out it would be the above titles or Archie Bunkers Place.
I,don't think we'll see much else..... Maybe a Knots Landing superset if they get the music rights resolved
but don't hold your breath.
80s- Holding my hope out for some one season cult type shows yet (Enos, It's Your Move) but most of the big 80s stuff is already out there. This is still a decent demographic so maybe something like Trapper John, It's A Living, Silver Spoons, Fall Guy, Benson, or Too Close For Comfort still might be released or unstalled respectively and come out but I wouldn't bet money on any of those. Later 80s stuff ( Midnight Caller, Dear John, Different World, Head of the Class, etc would seem to have a decent market but nobody seems interested in giving this stuff a go..
Thoughts????
Another is 'Fury'. Only the 1st season has been released.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
IRONSIDE seems to be stuck at season 2 in the U.S., although all eight seasons have been released elsewhere.

THE FALL GUY seems to only have the first two of its five seasons released.

There are a few failed Quinn Martin series I'd like to see released: BANYON, DAN AUGUST, and THE MANHUNTER.

We've had a start with the general release of the first three seasons of DEATH VALLEY DAYS. Season 13 (the first with Ronald Reagan) is currently a Walmart exclusive. We'll see if any more of the 18 seasons are released.

THE HIGH CHAPARRAL (4 seasons) has not had a U.S. release.

A few more westerns I'd like to see:
- THE IRON HORSE (2 seasons)
- SHOTGUN SLADE (2 seasons, complete)
- TALES OF WELLS FARGO (first two seasons released, only portions of other four seasons issued)
- the contemporary western SHERIFF OF COCHISE / U.S. MARSHAL (4 seasons, complete)
- the contemporary western STATE TROOPER (3 seasons)
- the hybrid contemporary/traditional western TALES OF THE TEXAS RANGERS (3 seasons).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks