What's new

Major 60s Shows Left (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ok, with Novak coming out and Flipper getting compete, let's take a look at what major shows (2 seasons or more) are still left incomplete and which ones if any you guys think might still have a shot:

My 3 Sons
Peyton Place
The Defenders
Bonanza
Gunsmoke
Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Burkes Law
Sunset Strip
Hawaiian Eye
Run For Your Life
Julia
Twelve O Clock High
High Chapparal US
Ironside US
Farmers Daughter
NYPD
Felony Squad
Room 222
Judd
Ozzie and Harriet
Name of The Game

Not too bad a list only 22 major shows incomplete. Of course I left off variety shows and I'm sure I missed one of two others
So any of these you guys think might still happen?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Like Green Acres, several of these are realistic hopes for the future (At least for additional seasons).

The Donna Reed Show is incomplete, as is Make Room for Daddy. They originated in the 1950's, but a substantial portion of their run was in the 1960's (Over 75% of The Donna Reed Show's 8 seasons were in this decade, including the three seasons that remain absent on DVD).

Lassie is another that hasn't even been attempted in season form, with over half of the most fondly remembered era of the show having aired in the early 1960's. It's the show's second incarnation that most fans want the most, and which on the surface would appear to have the most realistic hope of something positive still happening at this late date.

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
Of the shows listed Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction are probably the best bets. They were shown heavily in syndication during the 70's and 80's, so their general fanbase is two generations rather than just one, like most of those shows. I would have put Bonanza, My Three Sons and Gunsmoke on the list too, but those shows had a LOT of episodes and the companies may not find it cost effective even if there is a market for them.

Are there music issues with Beverly Hillbillies? I know they often had famous country and bluegrass musicians guest starring and playing.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'm not very confident on any of those listed. I'm sure we will continue to get a few surprises here and there, but it looks to me like:

- CBS appears to have shut down there releases, and while I fully expect they will continue to move forward prepping their catalog for HD capable streaming and syndication, I'm not so sure it will lead to any more physical media releases. They obviously opened the door to licensing lessor titles (or titles they previously had not focused on), but that may not work into their primary titles from that list.

- WB has slowed down as well. Maybe we will keep getting some shorter run titles like Mr. Novak, but it isn't looking good for the highly anticipated detective series.

- Shout! has surprised by unstalling a few series recently, possibly just trying to get what they can before licensing runs out. I can see the possibility of a few more surprises there.

- Olive/Kino are new additions, it will be interesting to see what they can pull off. Especially, since they tend to focus on blu-ray releases.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
One Step Beyond (if we include crossover to 70s titles we have to include this one)
The Rogues
The Green Hornet

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'd add the short-lived but still remembered He & She and Love on a Rooftop, Camp Runamuck, The Pruitts of Southampton /The Phyllis Diller Show, The Good Guys (a real headscratcher there- this had BOB DENVER as the star and has never been rerun on cable!), The Cara Williams Show, Redigo, Shindig! (apparently ABC has all shows accounted for on videotape or kinescope), The Second Hundred Years, Captain Nice (William Daniels is still around to provide commentary!), Lancer, and Bracken's World. All but Shindig! and The Cara Williams Show were filmed in color, so that might be a plus for younger audiences.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Of the shows listed Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction are probably the best bets. They were shown heavily in syndication during the 70's and 80's, so their general fanbase is two generations rather than just one, like most of those shows. I would have put Bonanza, My Three Sons and Gunsmoke on the list too, but those shows had a LOT of episodes and the companies may not find it cost effective even if there is a market for them.

Are there music issues with Beverly Hillbillies? I know they often had famous country and bluegrass musicians guest starring and playing.
The Beverly Hillbillies was still getting major cable exposure on WGN in this decade in addition to what you mentioned, as well as getting major exposure on TBS in the 80's and 90's, plus TV Land/Nick at Nite. CBS keeps an active page for the show on Facebook, though I'm not sure they know what they're doing; they've called Granny "Grandma" once, called Ellie "Elaine," and have been known to use photos from the movie version. Probably some 20 something who doesn't know the show and is grabbing photos from Google.

As for music, I believe Flatt and Scruggs stopped appearing after S5, though I could be wrong. The only remaining entry from them musically would be "Mail Order Bride" at the tail end of a show if my memory is correct. Roy Clark was on quite a bit, but it was mostly instrumental other than taking a stab at "The Great Pretender." The Peppermint Trolly Company (I think that was the name) did an original song for the "Robin Hood and the Sheriff" episode, so I would guess that shouldn't be a booger to clear. Steve Elliot did a song on a crossover episode with Petticoat Junction; that could easily be left off if it came down to it. Pat Boone did a song at the end of the last episode of S7; it could be replaced as it was at the tail end of an episode, but how hard would a Pat Boone song be to clear? S8 had one shot of a bluegrass band in Branson playing; again, it wouldn't be a total loss if that had to be edited out. We are, of course, talking CBS here, the company that went on a binge with The Fugitive, My Three Sons, and some S4 episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Oh, Joi Lansing did a song on the show; she portrayed the wife of either Flatt or Scruggs. The good thing is, though, with the exception of Flatt and Scruggs, almost any show from a season not released that contains music is represented on VHS from Columbia House. CBS didn't booger up all of the S4 episodes by replacing incidental music, just a handful. "Jethro Goes to College" had incidental music replaced, but it's also available unedited on VHS if one is so inclined.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Oh, Joi Lansing did a song on the show; she portrayed the wife of either Flatt or Scruggs. The good thing is, though, with the exception of Flatt and Scruggs, almost any show from a season not released that contains music is represented on VHS from Columbia House. CBS didn't booger up all of the S4 episodes by replacing incidental music, just a handful. "Jethro Goes to College" had incidental music replaced, but it's also available unedited on VHS if one is so inclined.

Does that include the Roy Clark episodes too? Didn't he do a story arc a one point for several shows?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Does that include the Roy Clark episodes too? Didn't he do a story arc a one point for several shows?
Yes, he did a story arc. He appeared in two different seasons actually. I'd have to check the Syndication Bible, but I believe his episodes are there in their entirety on the Columbia House releases.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The sixties was the best for television. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Infinitely better than today's stuff.

James

I love 60's TV, but there is so much programming on presently that I also love to watch, so I can't agree that it's infinitely better.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
One thing 60s TV had in spades that's sadly missing today is escapism. Even with the awful realities of the events of the 1960s viewers could lose themselves with:
The Munsters
I Dream of Jeannie
My Favorite Martian
The Twilight Zone
Bewitched
Green Acres
The Andy Griffith Show
Star Trek
The Man From UNCLE
The Avengers
I Spy
Get Smart
Gilligan's Island
Lost in Space
Land of the Giants
The Wild Wild West
Batman
Tarzan
Gunsmoke

Even into the 80s there was The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Dynasty, The Dukes of Hazard, Knight Rider.

Today there's too much 'reality' (I limit myself to Survivor and Dancing with the Stars as they're competition shows), crime procedurals and very little fantasy like we had in previous decades.

I'd want to see more fantasy beyond superheroes. Also, how about bringing back the Western- if Hawaii Five-0 and MacGyver can be rebooted, why not Gunsmoke? How about half-hour dramas, anthology shows, weekly scheduled TV movies (this is what helped put ABC on the map in the 70s with The Movie of the Week), and even a weekly live drama?

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
One Step Beyond (if we include crossover to 70s titles we have to include this one)
The Rogues
The Green Hornet
Yes, the Green Hornet! I got to say I am kind of sickened by the incredible number of dvd's I have bought over the years. It had to be many thousands of dollars. With all these streaming options it just bothers me to a room bursting with contless dvd's. I did get a lot of joy from them but I would be happy to watch Netflixs or HULU? And of course selling them is a losing option. The price you would get plus the shipping would not make the effort worth it to sell on say Ebay. Any thoughts?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Both single-season shows. The topic is TWO seasons or more.

The topic read "major" shows and those are it for that decade from my standpoint. Heck, most 60s shows with one season have more episodes than shows from later decades with more than one season!

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Of all of them, Ben Casey really needs an official release. I can't begin to say how many other shows of the decade referred to it. It was endlessly lampooned. Dr. Kildare wasn't mentioned nearly as much. It truly was a phenomenon in its day, so it seems inconceivable it wouldn't see an official DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks