What's new

Fall/Holiday Classic DVD Outlook = Bleak (1 Viewer)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Looking over at my shelves, which include all seasons of Medical Center, Spenser for Hire, Search, Hank, Night Court, Eight is Enough, McClain's Law, Flo, Seasons 1 - 4 of Alice, Season 1 of The Eleventh Hour, several TV movies and a few Hanna-Barbera releases, I wish more companies proved to be such a "bust" with TV releases as the Warner Archive.

And while I'm still hoping for more from WAC, in the meantime I plan to eventually try Hawkins, Girl from UNCLE, and The FBI.*

*(But I won't try just anything WAC puts out. I think I'll leave the complete Urkel oeuvre to those with stronger stomachs. But congrats to those who enjoy it.)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, we might not get anything " big" from WB Archives before the end of the year, but I'm still thinking we will get Colt 45, the Alaskans, Hondo and a few other animated series . . . . eventually. They're just going throw a problematic time right now with older releases. Unexpected costs, music rights and possibly constrained by a budget might be causing some difficulties.

James

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
No matter how you spell it, VHS cassette is vastly inferior to DVD(and Blu-Ray) and even stored properly, degradation does occur and continues to look worse over time.. I taped the entire run of St. Elsewhere, tried to watch it a while back couldn't get through the second episode. So all that taping I did from the 80's to the mid 90's amounts to nothing but a large waste of time on my part because I will never re-watch anything on video cassette.

I started recording in 1981 on Beta, in 1984 switched to VHS (blank Betas were becoming to hard to find in my area) and stayed with VHS until 2000 I believe when I bought my first DVD recorder. Out of roughly almost 4,000 tapes I've watched over the years all except 3 looked just as I originally recorded them.

Bryan, if you have no serious desire ever to watch your VHS tapes again, I'd be happy to take those off your hands. :)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I got my first VCR as a Christmas gift in 1984. (I still have an operational VHS VCR, and another one still in its unopened box). :DI also have a region-free DVD Player and a Blu-ray Player (Holy Schroeder Batman!) .:rolling-smiley:Although I don't fear Lucy getting PO'ed and smashing my Player it's the same reason I have them. If one malfunctions I have a back-up readily available to use in case this happens. :thumbs-up-smiley:

PS. The region-free DVD player has the ability to record, yet if I put in a MOD disk (which are supposed to have a "Copy Protection" feature that's supposed to make them not play on these kind of player), the movies and TV shows play perfectly well. :laugh:

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
started taping off air in 83. Mostly syndicated reruns, full blocks of MTV programming, and some current sitcoms. Happy to say, I kept every tape.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The one big mistake I made was editing commercials out during the first year or so till I got smart and realized I may want them one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks