What's new

Press Release Paramount Press Release: Bonanza: The Complete Series (DVD) (3 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Found this on EBay: an ad from the Baltimore Sun for Ponderosa restaurants, from the Sunday, Dec. 16, 1984 edition's Maryland Kitchen section, section F (partially obscured owing to how the pictures in the listing were taken)...

baltimoresunponderosaad1984.jpg

And here's the full listing for that...

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Thanks for posting the link to The Extras podcast interview with Andy Klyde, Robert! It's a fascinating listen. Highly recommended, not just for Bonanza fans, but for fans of classic TV series on DVD in general, as Mr. Klyde goes into candid detail about the myriad difficulties and delays in getting the series released in complete and remastered form, especially in these days of dwindling physical media sales. Without any self-aggrandizing whatsoever, his interview makes it extremely plain just how crucial it is to have someone knowledgable, dogged and passionate about this kind of classic TV series working with (and at times badgering) the studios to ensure that the final product is satisfactory for the fans.

And having just watched an episode from Bonanza S2 ("The Hopefuls") with noticably subpar video derived from 1980s-era tape masters, in comparison to the other seasons of the show released on DVD, I for one will surely be picking up the newly-remastered S2 set ASAP. Yet another example of Klyde fighting the good fight to cajole the studio execs to do right by the show and its fans this time around.

One interesting bit of info Klyde relates in the podcast is just how instrumental sales in the Australian and New Zealand markets were to seeing Bonanza finally completed on DVD. Without the consumer demand there, it might never have happened. So a big "G'day" and "Cheers, mate!" to you peeps Down Under.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And having just watched an episode from Bonanza S2 ("The Hopefuls") with noticably subpar video derived from 1980s-era tape masters, in comparison to the other seasons of the show released on DVD, I for one will surely be picking up the newly-remastered S2 set ASAP.

Did you see that second-season episode from the original second-season volumes, or otherwise?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Did you see that second-season episode from the original second-season volumes, or otherwise?
From the original non-remastered S2 set, Ben...thus why I remarked on the disappointing picture quality. It's funny, I've watched several other S2 episodes previously but hadn't notice such an egregious quality drop...but the last two episodes I've watched on the 2010/2011 S2 volumes ("The Dark Gate" and especially today's viewing of "The Hopefuls") were quite poor, judging by CBS/Paramount's usual high standards.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
From the original non-remastered S2 set, Ben...thus why I remarked on the disappointing picture quality. It's funny, I've watched several other S2 episodes previously but hadn't notice such an egregious quality drop...but the last two episodes I've watched on the 2010/2011 S2 volumes ("The Dark Gate" and especially today's viewing of "The Hopefuls") were quite poor, judging by CBS/Paramount's usual high standards.

Is the second season in the all-in-one the remastered variety?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Is the second season in the all-in-one the remastered variety?
If you're speaking of the newly-released complete series set, then yes, Ben, the remastered S2 is in there, along with S12-14...all of which were released (or in the case of S2, re-released) separately for those who already had purchased the first 11 seasons. According to the podcast referenced above, Andy Klyde managed to sell CBS/Paramount brass on going back and remastering S2 so as to be able to accurately claim "all episodes completely remastered" on the Complete Series packaging.

Here is the link to the new and improved S2, remastered from 35mm film elements. I assume that all the menus, extras, photo galleries, etc. will be ported over without any changes or additions.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks for posting the link to The Extras podcast interview with Andy Klyde, Robert! It's a fascinating listen. Highly recommended, not just for Bonanza fans, but for fans of classic TV series on DVD in general, as Mr. Klyde goes into candid detail about the myriad difficulties and delays in getting the series released in complete and remastered form, especially in these days of dwindling physical media sales. Without any self-aggrandizing whatsoever, his interview makes it extremely plain just how crucial it is to have someone knowledgable, dogged and passionate about this kind of classic TV series working with (and at times badgering) the studios to ensure that the final product is satisfactory for the fans.

And having just watched an episode from Bonanza S2 ("The Hopefuls") with noticably subpar video derived from 1980s-era tape masters, in comparison to the other seasons of the show released on DVD, I for one will surely be picking up the newly-remastered S2 set ASAP. Yet another example of Klyde fighting the good fight to cajole the studio execs to do right by the show and its fans this time around.

One interesting bit of info Klyde relates in the podcast is just how instrumental sales in the Australian and New Zealand markets were to seeing Bonanza finally completed on DVD. Without the consumer demand there, it might never have happened. So a big "G'day" and "Cheers, mate!" to you peeps Down Under.
And those Aussie releases are typically *less* expensive than what was foisted upon US consumers. They also came in complete season sets instead of those half-season, price inflated, US releases. For that sole reason I've purchased a couple of the Aussie Bonanza releases myself, and I'm positive I'm not the only one. Those purchases add to the perceived higher demand in Australia than stateside. Bonanza's releases (and many others) in half-season sets at prices you'd typicaly expect for a full season is another reason it didn't sell well.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
And those Aussie releases are typically *less* expensive than what was foisted upon US consumers. They also came in complete season sets instead of those half-season, price inflated, US releases. For that sole reason I've purchased a couple of the Aussie Bonanza releases myself, and I'm positive I'm not the only one. Those purchases add to the perceived higher demand in Australia than stateside. Bonanza's releases (and many others) in half-season sets at prices you'd typicaly expect for a full season is another reason it didn't sell well.
Generall agree, although Klyde points out in his interview that less care was taken with the packaging inserts on those Aussie versions, with frequent typos. But I too have an Aussie release (S9) and it was indeed a good price. Thankfully I waited long enough on ordering most of the Bonanza R1 sets that each season came with both volumes bundled together, and sold for half of their original combined price (though I suppose that didn't help sales in the long run either).

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
View attachment 188663

I'm thinking of getting 50 disc spindle-to load up the season sets ins order, and watch. Then putting the "watched discs in other spindles...for easier access.

IMO, that would also work great for the condensed all-in-one DVD releases from CBS and Universal of The Untouchables, The A-Team, The Streets of San Francisco, Emergency! and others.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think it would work great for all my large TV on DVD collections. Will also help with the "stray discs" problem I seem to experience because I view so much content on dvd.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I think it would work great for all my large TV on DVD collections. Will also help with the "stray discs" problem I seem to experience because I view so much content on dvd.

And will perhaps help solve the problem of the mini-spindles that have 2-3 discs each inside.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nothing wrong with spindles. That’s how the bulk order of discs are stored after being manufactured, before they are assembled in smaller batches to fulfill the orders that go to distributors and large vendors like Amazon.

Some people on enthusiast forums are uncomfortable with spindles, but there’s really nothing wrong with them. If you don’t mind losing the packaging, its definitely a useful way to condense space and help with organization.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Absolutely. People constantly say "Spindle storage scratches discs!" I disagree. I've had more discs scratched or damaged because the hold-down mechanism broke and the disc slid around inside the case or with discs sliding against paper/paperboard sleeves than with spindle storage. I've never had a disc scratched or damaged because it was stored on a spindle. If you look carefully at the center of the play side of a disc you'll find there's circular "ridge" or "ledge" that prevents the play surface contacting the label surface of the disc below. There's a small air gap between the discs when stacked. Spindle storage is just a bit inconvenient - depending.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks