Shout! Factory TV Series Status Page

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by TVonDVDJunkie05, Aug 18, 2011.

1. jcroy

jcroy Screenwriter

jr
    The same can probably be said of laserdisc.

With that being said. Back in the late 1980's I was wondering why movies were not being released on discs the size of cds. (I wasn't aware of vcd at all).

2. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I download a lot of music from Amazon but I also try to make sure I back it up to an external hard drive (just bought a new one yesterday) and a CD copy. I've had a computer crash before and I almost lost a ton of music. I managed to get it back up and got everything backed up to an external (the one I just replaced, actually).
    They also did "The Dukes of Hazzard" on VHS via Columbia House. My ex-wife and I ordered a few on VHS in the early 2000's.

My set of The Beverly Hillbillies was purchased from a lady on eBay. I made a ridiculous "best offer" of $40 figuring she would counter with something a bit higher but cheaper than her asking price (I don't even remember what it was now). She accepted it, surprising the heck outta me.

3. derosa

derosa Supporting Actor

Grant
    Just for laughs, i checked Ebay,
    and right now you can buy all 84 tapes of ST:TNG for $75 !!
    That's right, it took 84 vhs tapes!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-STAR-TREK-NEXT-GENERATION-VHS-LOT-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-COLUMBIA-HOUSE-W-BONUSES-/181056696318?pt=VHS&hash=item2a27d1effe

There are a ton of Columbia House released VHS sets on Ebay,
    I had no idea that so many series were sold by them.

4. jcroy

jcroy Screenwriter

jr
    (On the original topic).

If Shout Factory is slowly exiting the tv on dvd market, what is the likelihood of somebody else taking it up?

For example, would somebody like Mill Creek or Echo Bridge take up the slack on stalled tv on dvd titles (if the contract terms are satisfactory to them) ?

A few years ago, Mill Creek released/re-released quite a few Stephen J. Cannell tv shows.

Awhile ago Mill Creek was re-releasing a lot of Sony and Touchstone catalog titles, while Echo Bridge was re-releasing a lot of Miramax/Dimension catalog titles on dvd/bluray.

5. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    So is Pee Wee the set that was being hinted at earlier in this thread? :P

Gary "just kidding, I'm sure that's not the big name series that is supposed to be coming later in the year" O.

6. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

VCD was very pixelated probably a little worse quality then a good VHS. Laserdisc was head and shoulders above both VHS and VCD for quality. DVD greatly improved picture quality over LD but never matched the quality of the Audio on LD's due to the compression on DVD vs. no Compression on LD. The uncompressed Audio of Blu-Rays surpasses LD though.

7. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

8. TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05 Second Unit

Nick
    Updated listing,

The following were added to the completed list since the last update:

Hey Dude (Final season released on July 16)

CatDog (Final season to be released on August 20)

9. earlytalkie

earlytalkie Auditioning

Leslie
    It indeed seems that Shout! Factory is taking a new direction in what it plans for the future. The Scream! division will have a broader appeal to a younger audience. When you don't see any activity on a series like Hazel, which had three releases in 2012, you have to wonder if the DVDs had little appeal to the average purchaser. In addition, when the shows were released there was an outcry from the people who did buy them criticizing the quality of the masters used as well as a few fanatics who complained about a couple of edited episodes. The Shout! Factory website was filled with posts, some hateful and personal complaining about the releases. The bottom line is, as has been posted here earlier, that companies like Shout! are in business for one reason: to make money. They won't make it catering to crabby old men like me. I agree with the earlier poster who is grateful for what Shout! has given us. I am not a completist, but I do have some wonderful episodes of Mister Ed, The Patty Duke Show, That Girl, Ozzie and Harriet and Hazel, all from Shout!. Back in the days of VHS, I would never have the number of episodes of these shows I have now on DVD. They just didn't issue complete season or series sets. Being a sixty-something, I would never sit down and watch a complete series from pilot to finale, but I like having "the cream" of some of these shows to watch whenever the mood strikes.

10. Kasey

Kasey Second Unit

Kasey
    I can't fault Shout for much--edited episodes aside. Patty Duke, Dobie Gillis, Rhoda, That Girl, All in the Family, Facts of Life, Hazel, Police Woman, The Norm Show, Barney Miller, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, Designing Women, The Goldebergs, Marcus Welby, Peyton Place and Here Come the Brides all line my shelves thanks to them. My only wish is that they finish with Season 5 of HAZEL and then I wouldn't really expect anything else from them. It is disappointing to get so close to finishing the series.

Radioman970 likes this.
  11. maskedmala

maskedmala Stunt Coordinator

Maurice
    And what about the 7th and last season of Mr Ed. Shout should have complete this series

12. earlytalkie

earlytalkie Auditioning

Leslie
    Shout! probably would have finished Mister Ed if their relationship with Fox, the supplying company hadn't reportedly gone south. I understand that Fox asked for notably higher prices for Peyton Place from Shout! that they were not prepared to pay, resulting in the stalling of that series. It's all about the money.

13. earlytalkie

earlytalkie Auditioning

Leslie
    As I recall, Love, American Style went into network daytime reruns at some point. The original hour-long shows were re-edited into half-hours and they ran in that format for several years. The unsuccessful TV version of Barefoot In The Park was also included in this package. The first season may be the only one whose original hour-long elements were retained.

14. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    I still keep up hope that the 5th season of Rhoda will be released by them.

15. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Sadly, I've given up hope for the final season of Rhoda, any further seasons of The Rookies, Police Story or Police Woman. Bummer as I'd love to have complete runs of all of those shows.

16. earlytalkie

earlytalkie Auditioning

Leslie
    Mill Creek has just inked a deal with Sony Pictures to re-issue Sony Properties that have been previously released. This supposedly includes Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Charlie's Angels, The Love Boat and more, including many feature films. From what I read on TV Shows On DVD, this would not include previously unreleased seasons of anything at this time. Who knows about the future though? What this does seem to indicate is the end of Sony's relationship with Shout!Factory. I don't think that any properties that Shout! leases from Sony currently, like Hazel, or Dennis The Menace would be included in this deal. This dosen't look good for that last season of Hazel that many fans have been waiting for. I hope I'm wrong.

17. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I sure would like more Krofft stuff I don't have. Was hoping for Shout! to take over...

18. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
  19. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Surely it was. And while I'm happy for those that wanted it, the news does absolutely zilch for me.

Gary "just more proof that Shout is moving away from the stuff I'd like to see - oh well" O.

Radioman970 likes this.
  20. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    I'm dismayed that Shout hasn't picked up any more Nickelodeon shows. Where's Rugrats? Doug? The eternally incomplete Pete and Pete and Clarissa? Why is Shout releasing a You Can't Do That on Television documentary but not the actual show (which Nick is putting out in fistfuls on iTunes)?

Obviously there's a market for the Nick catalog, since all the shows they've put out have sold well enough to be completed (some sold so well as to warrant complete series sets).

Apparently, horror movies and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman are simply bigger priorities for them now.

Radioman970 likes this.