What's new

Shout! Factory TV Series Status Page (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Jack P said:
I believe we've been hearing stories that the tape masters for the remaining seasons of "Baretta" were destroyed in the Universal fire which would necessitate making new masters from the 35mm and there's no way Shout is going to spring for that.
I forgot about the fire. However, the fire was in 2008 and season 1 of Baretta was released in 2002, so the show was stalled long before the fire. If Universal ever wants to release the series back into syndication, they will have to strike new tape masters from the 35mm film. So, there is always hope that eventually the rest of the series will get released. Would Shout help spring for the new masters? Maybe, if they think there is a strong enough market for a complete series release.

Since Baretta has been stalled longer than Mary Hartman, I thought it was a good guess inspite of the fire.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The problem though is Universal would have to have a big incentive for putting Baretta back into syndication (along with "Switch" which we are told was another casualty of the fire) beyond a license deal for a DVD release. We'd have to see a cable channel interested in wanting that title and being willing to pay for it and I just can't see that happening at this time. Most people in general I think felt like shunning Robert Blake forever after his sordid murder trial.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Jack P said:
The problem though is Universal would have to have a big incentive for putting Baretta back into syndication (along with "Switch" which we are told was another casualty of the fire) beyond a license deal for a DVD release. We'd have to see a cable channel interested in wanting that title and being willing to pay for it and I just can't see that happening at this time. Most people in general I think felt like shunning Robert Blake forever after his sordid murder trial.
Still not out of the realm of possibility. The show hasn't been seen in years.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Brian, I'm sorry but at this point if a show has lost its tape masters due to the fire, there's no hope we're going to see it again unless Universal changes its entire policy on how much remastering from 35mm costs or if they decide the time has come to a thorough set of remastering work across the boards on *all* their titles or if a cable channel is going to offer a syndication deal that would negate all the remastering costs and make it a profitable exercise for Universal. "Baretta" is not a title that fits that category. Now the other possiblity is if there's a set of 16mm prints of all episodes out there and it could be given the TImeless treatment but I think in general the collectors who can accept 16mm print quality for early 60s B/W shows are not going to accept those for a mid to late 70s title ("Oregon Trail" I think is the *only* late 70s title to utilize 16mm prints only I believe).

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
The Obsolete Man said:
Fox shows.

As far as we know, Fox doesn't play well with Shout.

Now, Fox does license MGM stuff to TGG, so there could always be a possibility there.
Fox, like all the studios with vaults full of interesting material (cult or popular TV titles), ought to start taking the MOD route. It's disappointing that so many studios presently still don't.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
HenryDuBrow said:
Fox, like all the studios with vaults full of interesting material (cult or popular TV titles), ought to start taking the MOD route. It's disappointing that so many studios presently still don't.
I think the studios are slowly realizing that some profit is better than none. That's likely why Sony has licensed out MARY HARTMAN for DVD release. There is a niche market for it via Shout, otherwise it would just rot in the vaults indefinitely. It hasn't been on TV in years and when it was, it was for a limited-run only.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Anyone know if Shout! plans a full series release of The Cosby Show? I just picked up season 1 at wm for $5. (not the "best of", I looked...)

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Danny Phantom: The Complete Series will be released next year on January 28th (Source)

After this, no Nickelodeon show Shout! licensed will have episodes unavailable on DVD. The only things left to release are standalone final seasons of Danny Phantom, Angry Beavers and AAAHH!!! Real Monsters.

Given the multitude of shows Shout has abandoned, surely this fact would attest to the profitability of these older Nick shows and the Nick-Shout relationship. But they've still made no inroads towards licensing more shows and they're still saying Rugrats is "unlikely". If studios are wising up to the idea that some profit is better than none, Nickelodeon hasn't gotten the memo (or Shout has stopped caring about Nick shows).

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Updated listing,

The following was added to the completed list since the last update:

Hey! Arnold (Season 5 will be released on October 15)
Rocko's Modern Life (Season 4 will be released on September 15)

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'll settle for Fox and ANYONE if it means I'll get "Burke's Law", "Big Valley" and "Bob Newhart" some day.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
That's Hazel season 5. There was no S6.
Sorry my mistake, in my excitement to post the news I inadvertantly posted the wrong number.
I'm still hoping for Belvedere, Rhoda and Mad About You to finally finish up their series/releases on DVD
*If* this deal signifies that Shout! & Fox are back on good terms (this could just be a one off with this title) then I think there might be some hope that Rhoda & Mr. Belvedere might be completed at some point. From what I had seen at the time, it looked to me that both these titles had done well for Shout! and they would have completed both had they been able to work out a deal with Fox.

As for Mad About You, that is a Sony title and last we heard Shout! was not interested in releasing any more seasons of this show as the two that they did release did not meet their expectations. Your only hope of seeing the final two seasons released might be Mill Creek if they are able to acquire the rights. For now I believe that they will only be re-releasing the first 3 seasons that Sony released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks