What's new

"The Hitchhiker" thriller/mystery anthology TV series (HBO/USA 1983-1987; 1989-1991) (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Not having access to cable TV back in the day, I wasn't even aware of The Hitchhiker adult mystery/thriller/horror anthology TV series when it was originally broadcast in the '80's - early '90's. However, I've been going back & revisiting some shows that I completely missed the first time around - and recently finished watching the first Region 1 DVD set (featuring 10 episodes from the show).

Great series! It's definitely more of a mystery/suspense/thriller series, but it does have some horror (and at times supernatural) elements. The show also has a strong neo-noir aspect that I find both interesting & compelling. I like how each episode is narrated by the nameless "Hitchhiker", who comments on the characters & situations (at the beginning & end of each episode), but has 0 interaction with them - he just observes from the side-lines.

I like that each episode is stand-alone, which helps a lot when watching this on these DVD sets - since these episodes are not shown in the order that they were originally released.

There were 85 episodes in all, but from doing some research I only found three Region 1 DVD sets (with ten episodes each) were released. Additional episodes were released in other Region DVD sets, but there has never been a set that has been released with all of the episodes. I wonder if rights issues have something to do with this, given that the show was broadcast on HBO initially, and later on USA Network?! In any case, I would definitely be onboard for a comprehensive DVD/Blu set with all of the episodes. I'd even settle for a DVD-only release, since the PQ on the DVD set(s) that I've seen (so far) have been decent.

Here's the eerie opening theme (from 1984 - ?!); not sure how long they used this specific theme since I've only seen a handful of episodes so far:

And, more info. about the show:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks