What's new

TV ON BLU BEFORE I DIE - PRETTY PLEASE (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
It seems incredible that so much of vintage television product remains MIA on home video in HD. There's too much good stuff to choose from, but at the top of my list of 'must haves' is the hospital drama - St. Elsewhere, which, apart from Season One, has NEVER been given even a proper home video release on DVD!!!

Before there was ER, or Grey's Anatomy or Chicago Hope, there was St. Elsewhere; with a killer cast to include Denzel Washington, Howie Mandel, Norman Lloyd, Mark Harmon, Bruce Greenwood and Ronny Cox - among its ever revolving cast, and irreverent writing that kept multiple storylines in play, often for seasons at a time. In many ways, this played more like a soap opera than a hospital drama. Produced by Bruce Paltrow and Grant Tinker (a winning team by any creative stretch), the show remains a masterpiece. Presently, only thoroughly shoddy internet bootlegs exist of this series. It deserves far better and far more exposure than this.

Others on the horizon: Murder She Wrote. The first 6 years of this long-running series are available on Blu via Elephant Films in France under its French title, Arabesque and the quality of the transfers is superb and - even better - region free. Why Universal has hesitated on a North American release of the entire series thus far continues to baffle - especially with the recent passing of the legendary Angela Lansbury.

Dynasty and Dynasty II: The Colbys - Nolan Miller's costuming alone would shimmer in HD given half the opportunity. For the first 5 seasons Dynasty dazzled audiences with its audacious catfights and sumptuous production values. Can't we get it on Blu-ray. I mean, can't we?!?

Crazy Like a Fox - Jack Warden and John Rubenstein played father/son, San Franciscan P.I. and button-down attorney at law respectively, in this charmingly original crime solving series that only lasted for a couple of seasons. Great stuff here.

The Golden Girls - photographed on tape instead of film, this 'golden' series will never look stellar on Blu. But if Fraggle Rock can get an upgrade, and actually look far better than it ever did on TV broadcast, then this perennial fav from the Disney stables deserves as much consideration. The current DVD masters are an atrocity with boosted contrast and all sorts of tape-based anomalies that can be corrected in the HD format given a little TLC and more than a modicum of cash to do right by the four golden goddesses who graced us with their audacious spirit and sass.

Bewitched - a seminal comedy series with a unique slant on the growing pains of married life - particularly when one of the mates happens to be a practicing witch.

The Love Boat - it was, in its time, one of the longest running anthology 'rom/coms' with its spectacularly loveable ensemble and an ever-evolving roster of classic stars and up-and-comers mingling aboard the Pacific Princess. Only the first 5 seasons have found their way to DVD. Nothing on Blu. For shame!

Remington Steele - the series that simultaneously made a star out of Pierce Brosnan and hampered his abilities to slip into the role of James Bond for at least a decade thereafter, this one was typified by great performances from Brosnan and co-stars, Stephanie Zimbalist and Doris Roberts. Comedy and drama intermingled as Steele and his 'associate' Laura Holt solved their capers in style. Pretty please. A Blu for 2023.

Moonlighting - Cybill Shepherd and a then unknown Bruce Willis made magic by moonlight in this irreverently funny, saucy and throughout fun-loving crime-solving series. The first two seasons of Moonlighting are among the greatest television ever produced. That the series devolved thereafter is a bit of a tragedy. Not having any of it on Blu is the worst tragedy of them all.

Ally McBeal - the irrepressibly insecure Ally and her cohorts made us care about the law, love and life on the rocks in a Bostonian firm that had its own cohort of loonies to contend with. Vonda Shepard's iconic revamping of legendary rock/pop tunes advanced the series into an entirely new stratosphere. And the dancing baby became our heroine's Achilles heel. Wonderful stuff here, strikingly on point and poignant in the present as well.

Falcon Crest - oft considered by the critics as just another prime time soap, it sported a killer cast front-lined by Jane Wyman and some truly compelling espionage from an underground consortium threatening to take over California wine country. Great writing and an ever revolving line up of stars made this must see TV in its day. Should be seen again on Blu.

Hart to Hart - Robert Wagner and Stephanie Powers made for one hell of a great hubby and wife sleuthing team in this champagne cocktail of a whodunit franchise. We mustn't forget Lionel Stander - who took care of them both as their protective chauffeur - Max.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The only remaining TV series I need on physical media are Benson the Complete Series and the remaining seasons of I Love Lucy. The former would be DVD only but I'm fine with that. The latter has the better chance of seeing light of day since, presumably, the entire series has already been remastered in HD. And Paramount happens to be in a generous mood at the moment :)

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I want the Dukes of Hazzard on blue ray.And of course I Dream of Jeannie done properly, Hart to Hart is available to stream in HD for amazon prime members - the complete series.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I Dream of Jeannie done properly,
I Dream of Jeannie was the biggest disappointment and missed opportunity in years. Slapdash and just an overall botch.

For shows still MIA in HD or even DVD:

DVD
The Green Hornet
12 O'clock High

HD
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
V: The Series (1984-85)
Have Gun, Will Travel

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Here's one for the books...it isn't even on dvd (non-bootlegged that is)...a fun romp based on James Thurbers writings, done well staring William Windom as the harranged cartoonist and his family and friends in "My World and Welcome to it". If they could do what VCI did with "It's About Time" and I'd be turning cartwheels!! :D

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
St. Elsewhere complete on BD would be beyond a grail release for me, especially because the DVD stalled after season one.

At this point I'm not counting on anymore of my favorites on BD....but if these title were released remastered, and complete I'd buy multiple copies of each:

- The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams

- In Search Of ---the DVD set was a dream come true but the quality varies from decent to terrible as some episodes have gone vinegar. Worth every penny to be remastered.

- Planet of the Apes. 14 episodes. All great, expands upon the Ape lore, and honestly much more enjoyable than most of the movies. Perfection.

- Ripley's Believe it or Not (Jack, and Holly Palance).

- The Secret of Isis, Ark II, Space Academy, Jason of Star Command.

- Land of the Lost

- A Man Called Sloane

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer---remastered, OAR. And the existing HD streaming widescreen disaster has a stake through the heart never to see the light of day again.

- Love Boat/Fantasy Island

- 1985 cartoon lineup: G.i. Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mask, Heathcliff

- Saturday Night Live. 1982-1992

- Night Flight. USA Up all Night

- MTV Remote Control

- Misfits of Science

- The Munsters

- Amazing Stories

- Spider-Man (Nicholas Hammond)

- You Can't do that on Television, Special Delivery, Pinwheel, Mr. Wizard, Out of Control (Diz)

- Fairy Tale Theater (Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall)

- M*A*S*H---OAR, laugh track optional (but I'd keep it. Nostalgia).

- ABC Sunday Night Movie (1981-84) all bumpers and commercials intact.

- Star Wars Holiday Special 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos

- Sabrina Teenage Witch

- Beverly Hills 90210 (original formula)

- Hill Street Blues

- Star Trek DS9, and Voyager

- Angel

Firefly 4k Dolby Vision/Atmos

and my number one most wanted title:

Iron Chef Japan complete with Backdraft music score as originally aired on the Food Network in the early 2000's

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Another one that came to my mind is a wonderful and innovative series that lasted only 2 seasons, h]that I can recall was Dave Sanborn's "Night Music". He had musicans from every genre...you can find most on YB but the quaity is vhs-ish and pretty nasty at times!! You'd think at least a DVD boxset?? Not sure if Sanborn owns the rights, but it would be worth at least a restored dvd set, while in my heart....I'd definatly go BD on the series!!!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Here's on for the books...it isn't even on dvd (non-bootlegged that is)...a fun romp based on James Thurbers writings, done well staring William Windom as the hrranged cartoonist and his family and friends in "My World and Welcome to it". If they could do what VCI did with "It's About Time" and I'd be turning cartwheels!! :D

Captain D McMars:

You're not alone in this. It's a superb series that has something to say even today, especially the Christmas episode. Also wish the Farmer's Daughter, Garrisons Gorillas, Twelve O' Clock High, Race for Your Life, and others from the sixties would be coming out.

--jthree

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
The complete Andy Williams variety shows uncut on dvd. Its not Christmas on my ranch without seeing Andy,his brothers and the Osmonds.And me singing off key 'Its a Marshmellow World'.And I always watch my fav xmas movie "White Christmas' on blu ray.Andy's series is good to see anytime of the year.

Last edited:

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
My bluray wishlist

Voyage to the bottom of the sea
The Munsters
Pruitts of Southampton (even a DVD release would be welcome)
Bewitched (with the 1st 2 seasons with their original opening 1964 titles and music)
The New Avengers (could be on the cards from Studiocanal)
The Champions

jra66

Agent
Real Name
Jason Ader
Pretty good chance of 'Moonlighting' getting a Blu-ray release. If not blu-ray, it will at least be remastered in HD for streaming. Glenn Gordon Caron (creator of Moonlighting) confirmed on Oct. 5th that they received approval to prepare the show for streaming which will include an HD restoration.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My bluray wishlist

Voyage to the bottom of the sea
The Munsters
Pruitts of Southampton (even a DVD release would be welcome)
Bewitched (with the 1st 2 seasons with their original opening 1964 titles and music)
The New Avengers (could be on the cards from Studiocanal)
The Champions
I still can't believe that The Munsters hasn't got a blu ray upgrade. Even with the Rob Zombie film being released not even a whisper.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
My top 3 would be Dragnet, Adam -12, & Remington Steele. The better my tv gets, the worse dvds look.

The DVDs for Kojak & Hawaii Five O are pretty solid but an upgrade would be nice. It would be great to have a release of Name of the Game finally. Room 222 maybe? Yeah I know I’m pushing it with that one.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
A mini-series rather than TV series, I have been revisiting the DVD boxset of "Rich Man, Poor Man" and the colors look atrocious. Seems to have a very green cast to it. It really needs a quality HD remaster, but I'm doubtful. It took years to get it on DVD and it wasn't in-print for very long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks