What's new
World Wide Stereo

s-video converter (1 Viewer)

Bill$D

Auditioning
I recently set up a ht with a Benq pb7200 projector. My receiver is from an Onkyo ht-s760 home theater in a box system. I have a 35 foot s-video cable running to the projector. I connect my dvd player to the onkyo with a combination rca and s-video cable. That works great. My problem is getting cable tv through. According to the onkyo manual if my video signal out is s-video my input video must also be s-video. My vcr does not have s-video out. I e-mailed onkyo and they suggested an s-video converter. I did some surfing to find more about s-video converters. I found anything from a $3 cable converter to a $130 monster s-video converter. I'm wondering what I need at this point. Another option may be to buy a vcr with s-video out if that is possible. Gateway sells a dvd recorder for about $300 that I assume has its own tuner. That may also be an option. If anyone can offer any advise on this subject I would appreciate it. Thanks---Bill

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I use a JVC 3911U S-VHS VCR. This was their least expensive model that has an S-video input as well. Cable TV can be fed in either through the video in or the antenna in dependin g on your cable box, and comes out as S-vidoe excellently.

A bonus, even regular VHS tapes play slightly better with S-video out from the VCR but only S-VHS VCR's have S-video out.

About your RCA and S-video cable from the DVD player, you would leave the yellow jack on the player empty when using S-video.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Technically you want something with a 3 line adaptive comb filter or better yet a 3D comb filter. Just "digital" doesn't give you enough information about a comb filter. Just about any composite to S-video converter costing less than USD $100. has a different cheaper kind of filter (probably a notch filter or bandpass filter) and the results are "way inferior".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks