What's new

Is there an adapter that I can buy so I can have arc output and optical output simultaneously? (1 Viewer)

TechNerd

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicholas
Hi, I'd like to connect my receiver via ARC from my TV's ARC, and at the same time connect either optical audio out or headphone jack (3.5mm) to my headphone receiver. I was wondering if there was any adapter to do this. (I would like both the arc and optical/headphone audio out to work simultaneously, also still having the CEC with the ARC) Something like this, HDMI Audio Extractor. But I'd like the HDMI to output both sound, not video, and the optical audio/headphone jack to output sound as well "simultaneously" I don't think an audio extractor will work in my case, are there any alternatives? Thanks :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Most TVs have an optical output. Both it and ARC should work at the same time. I’ve never tried it though.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I doubt there is anything out there that will do that since there would have to be some sort of passover from ARC to optical or vice versa. ARC is part of the HDMI spec and optical is a legacy specification. I don't see any manufacturer seeing a big enough market to bother making a device like that, even if they could.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I found an article that may be able to answer your question. Yo may be able to use an audio extractor to do what you want. See the link:

Edit: The View HD prosumer audio extractor might have the capability to do what you want.
There is a link to reviews of several extractors in the article above.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Audio extractors don’t work with ARC. To do what you want you need to extract audio from ARC, not just hdmi. I don’t believe anything does that.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The review of the View HD prosumer extractor says that the HDMI and TOSLINK outputs support ARC. Not sure how TOSLINK would support it as I always thought ARC was an HDMI spec only.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What I'm saying is that while they might be "compatible" with ARC, I don't believe any of them can extract ARC audio. They can only extract the regular hdmi audio. It might have changed, but this has been explored before and determined that nothing could do it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Most TVs have an optical output. Both it and ARC should work at the same time. I’ve never tried it though.
Not always. On Vizio sound bars, plugging in toslink disables the ARC function.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks