What's new

Shene (1 Viewer)

Shene

Auditioning
Real Name
William Shenefelt, II
Shene is short for Shenefelt, my last name. I am a speaker junkie and started with buying components and building my own enclosures. Much of my equipment I built from kits by Heathkit. My first really good speakers was a pr of JBL L-200 monitors. I could not afford them when I first heard and fell in love with them but finally just bought the 4 drivers and crossovers and built my own cabinets. That was in 1976. Added slot radiatrors and another crossover to make them like the JBL L-300. Other than Heathkits I tried to buy good higher end used equipment where I could. I have been in a constant upgrade of my living room stereo then modifications and revisions to add home theater. I am up to 11.2 surround theater using an Anthem MRX 1120 receiver and an Oppo 305 for disks with a Dish Network receiver for TV. Video equipment is at one end of my 27 ft long living room and the audio equipment at the other. The video end has the receiver and video sources as well as TV display and 119" diagonal DaLite 4k screen which comes down in front of the TV. On each side of the TV I have my SVS 16 ultra subs just behind my front main speakers and a center speaker under the tv stand. . .
For music I send my DAT, cassette tapes and record outputs to the Anthem receiver at the front of the room but only use the front right and left speaker and Anthem volume control. The front speaker pair consists of (home cabinet built) biamped JBL 4343 4-way monitors. I finally got to all the same JBL horn loaded compression drivers for my 7 floor level speakers. All but the original two are second hand due to availability. Overkill, but I thought it would do the best job to have them all with the same voicing and higher clarity of the horn drivers. Bass drivers are 15 inch for front and rear but center and sides are 12 inch bass drivers.
I just ordered two JBL 29-1 speakers which can fit above the two archway exits from the living room. I need something to replace or supplement my side surrounds which are overly intrusive near or slightly in front of the couch. If placed behind the couch they would block openings for entrance to the dining room or front door foyer The 29-1's are actually indoor/outdoor music PA JBLs but I am hoping their horn drivers will do good with surround sound and effects. If not, I will return them as they were not cheap. If decent I may supplement them by running them in parallel with the existing surrounds on the floor moved a few feet in front of the sides of the couch. The couch is about 8 ft long and each side speaker 12 inches thick. That leaves only 3 1/2 feet total for clearance on the sides of the couch. Want a big Horn compression driver aimed at your ear from about a foot or two away? The 29-1's will be mounted near the ceiling slightly behind the couch on the room sidewalls. One nice feature is they can be tilted or angled since they mount on a ball mount. They also can be converted from horizontal to vertical orientation by remounting a front panel section containing the horn mouth and oval port. I need horizontal to fit over the archways at the sides of the room. The current side surrounds are just too big (4 cubic ft) and too heavy (about 110 pounds each) for a near ceiling mount. I ordered that should work well to fit near the ceiling for the side surrounds I may also just keep the floor sides to just add space to the side surround sound coming near the floor slightly forward of the couch against the side walls.

Attachments

• front of theater with JBL's.jpg
    front of theater with JBL's.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 118

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Welcome William! We're happy to have a new dedicated member like yourself here. If I could ask one favor, a few extra line breaks will make your posts much more approachable, it's hard getting through those big walls of text!

Shene

Auditioning
Real Name
William Shenefelt, II
Thanks Sam. I am long winded but tried to give a full account of what I have and have interest in. Maybe some kind of posting of equipment when one clicks on the avitar would make things more straight forward with less verbose intro.

Shene

Auditioning
Real Name
William Shenefelt, II
How do I put my photo on the blank avatar block? Also what difference is there in the $12 a yr membership. I really have nothing to sell if that is the only incentive. If it is just a donation to help the site I can buy that also. Do you have any place to list ones equipment or interests and how is it accessed? How do I send a PM(private message)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks