What's new

Denon AVR 2112CI Re-Setup with Combo DVD/VCR Support Request (1 Viewer)

jourednik

Auditioning
Real Name
John Ourednik
I am helping my neighbor hook up his previously professionally-installed home theater system. (They had floors refinished and I unplugged/replugged everything for them so they could move it.)

Hook-up is: Toshiba Combo DVD/VCR via Yellow/Red/White to "DVD" inputs in Receiver, HDMI1 to Sony 55" TV, Audio to surround speakers via cables.

Problem: Video is not displayed when VCR is selected, but sound does goes through. DVD player works. Toshiba Combo DVD/VCR Tested on another TV SAT.

Troubleshooting Steps:
1) I lined up his system and played DVD, both Sound and Video work.
2) I unplugged RCA Jacks from back of receiver and plugged directly into my old 13" CRT TV, DVD continues to play fine through my TV.
3) I hit "DVD/VHS" selector switch on Toshiba, my TV starts to play both Sound and Video from the VHS tape.
4) I unplug the RCA Jacks from the Back of my CRT TV, and put right back into the same "DVD" input on the receiver that previously worked in Step 1, BUT, no video, just audio.

I called into Denon, they said the problem was in the VCR, I disagreed because it works on another TV when I bypass the Denon Receiver.
They then suggested to bring the Receiver into an authorized repair service, but since its out of warranty, it would be covered at my cost to troubleshoot.

Questions:
Is there anything about a video signal coming over the Yellow RCA cable that is different when the Toshiba player is playing a VHS tape than a DVD?
Is there a different setting in the Denon Receiver that I need to toggle so that the VHS Video comes through?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m surprised it ever worked at all. Most AVRs from that era would not pass analog signals via the HDMI output.

I can’t see why there’d be anything different about the VCR video that the AVR wouldn’t like. I’d suggest trying one of the other inputs on the AVR. If that doesn’t work, you’ll have to send the combo player’s connections directly to the TV.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Something doesn't add up here. The player only has an analog video (yellow) output, and it works with DVD but not VHS?

Also, a side note, using that player is significantly degrading the quality of DVD images. Getting something with an hdmi output will make a huge improvement. It'll be a Blu-Ray player, and won't have VHS built in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks