What's new

Fire TV Stick 4K MAX requires 4K video device to stream Dolby Atmos? (1 Viewer)

OlderCoder

Auditioning
Real Name
Klueh
Hi all,
I'm new here, but I'm hoping I can find a better answer here than what Amazon gave me.

I have:
Fire TV Stick 4K MAX
Denon S760H configured as 5.1.2
Optoma 1080P 3D Projector

I recently upgraded the AVR from an Onkyo 7.1 system, mostly to be able to enjoy Dolby Atmos, after noticing that Amazon Prime streamed several titles with Dolby Atmos.

I have performed the Firestick Audio/Video Diagnostics, where it indeed 'sees' Dolby Atmos from my Denon. I can execute the kayak test video, and the Optoma displays the video, and the Denon itself shows that it is receiving Dolby Atmos.

But, when I then go to the Firestick Settings > Display and Sounds > Audio > Surround Sound, Dolby Atmos is not a choice. I assumed at this point that the program source would not be a factor.

I then choose to play an Amazon Prime title that indicates Dolby Atmos, such as Tomorrow War. While playing this, I try to use the Firestick hamburger menu to change the audio, and again Dolby Atmos is not a choice.

I assume that since the Diagnostic test video indeed works, that all troubleshooting hints regarding HDMI cables and AVR capabilities are not relevant.

But Amazon replied that 4K video is required, and also suggested several other items that weren't relevant. Since the kayak video worked, this didn't make sense to me, and I asked for clarification, which I haven't received.

I did see some posts on this forum saying that this is indeed the situation, but the information was several years old. I also saw that this may not be the case with other devices (e.g. Roku or AppleTV), and that Dolby Atmos might work on these devices without a 4K display.

Thanks in advance

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It wouldn't surprise me if a 4K display is required to get Atmos, which is most likely only available on the 4K stream. If you don't have a 4K display, you won't be able to get the 4K stream. Unfortunately, I expect the test is a different situation.

4K discs should not be a problem, as the player will downscale the video to HD and still let you listen to the Atmos soundtrack.

I expect @Todd Erwin can verify if this is the case.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Unfortunately, a 4K device is required for Dolby Atmos on the FireStick 4K Max (a device I am not a fan of due to its mandatory frame interpolation). This is true at least on Netflix, Prime Video, Max (formerly HBO Max), Paramount+, and Vudu. And again, unfortunately, it is true across most streaming devices for those services. YMMV on Disney+ since that service won’t do 4K unless it is an HDR capable display, and instead streams in HD yet still provides Dolby Atmos audio.

OlderCoder

Auditioning
Real Name
Klueh
Thanks to both of you. Any idea if a cheap downscaler would work until I can upgrade the projector? In theory this should let the Firestick 'see' a 4K video device and let the AVR handle the Atmos?

OlderCoder

Auditioning
Real Name
Klueh
After reading some reviews on Amazon, I bought an EDCOO splitter/downscaler for $30.

Indeed it works! I connected the FireStick to the splitter HDMI In, and the HDMI OUT2 to my AVR. I set the HDMI OUT2 to 'downscale', and the EDID to 4K7.1. The FireStick now 'sees' a 4K 60Hz video device and a Dolby Atmos-capable audio device. To help ensure no lack of picture quality, I also disabled HDR in the FireStick, as the reviewers had suggested.

Other connection configurations might be possible. I could have split the HDMI, with HDMI OUT1 to the AVR, and OUT2 directly to the projector. But in my case I use the AVR to select among other sources (BluRay, game, etc). I could have connected the AVR HDMI output to the splitter HDMI IN, with its HDMI OUT2 directly to the projector. But I didn't see the need to process the other sources through the splitter.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
After reading some reviews on Amazon, I bought an EDCOO splitter/downscaler for $30.

Indeed it works! I connected the FireStick to the splitter HDMI In, and the HDMI OUT2 to my AVR. I set the HDMI OUT2 to 'downscale', and the EDID to 4K7.1. The FireStick now 'sees' a 4K 60Hz video device and a Dolby Atmos-capable audio device. To help ensure no lack of picture quality, I also disabled HDR in the FireStick, as the reviewers had suggested.

Other connection configurations might be possible. I could have split the HDMI, with HDMI OUT1 to the AVR, and OUT2 directly to the projector. But in my case I use the AVR to select among other sources (BluRay, game, etc). I could have connected the AVR HDMI output to the splitter HDMI IN, with its HDMI OUT2 directly to the projector. But I didn't see the need to process the other sources through the splitter.
I'm a little late to the party but playing an Atmos soundtrack on Android TV, Chromecast w/Google Tv, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, and Roku's latest streamers requires the 4K Video as well. If you use 1080P, sound track goes to Dolby Digital +.

As far as streamers, I have 3 Fire TV stick 4K Max and they are the worst. They continuously corrupt the soundtracks of apps as Amazon Music and Tidal, and glitch. They refuse to recognize the HDMI signals and won't display a picture without restarts. All 3 continuously glitch constantly. I paid only $35 for each but feel it was money thrown away. The reason I say all of this, is that there is better to use that's trouble free. The latest Chromecast with google tv, Android TV or Roku. Now Roku isn't really compatible with Hidef audio like Chromecast is but it's reliable.

You may have many issues using a splitter on a Fire TV stick 4k max as it has a hard enough time operating correctly without a splitter.

Good luck

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Glad you found a solution but, yes, this is a drawback to streaming if you are not fully A/V upgraded. It won't deliver the 4K stream and audio unless it detects an available 4K video display.

With physical media you can play a 4K disc in a 4K player and the AVR will detect Atmos audio and the video will play in whatever format your display allows.

OlderCoder

Auditioning
Real Name
Klueh
The splitter still seems to work, but I haven't seen any further Amazon Prime titles with Atmos that I cared to watch! I thought it might be more common with new releases.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
The splitter still seems to work, but I haven't seen any further Amazon Prime titles with Atmos that I cared to watch! I thought it might be more common with new releases.
Prime movies use the HDR10+ when available as that is what Amazon pushes over Dolby Vision. Most movies that are Atmos use Dolby Vision. Many Prime titles that use HDR10+ seem to be only DD+ and not atmos. You may want to try a different video service as Vudu which most movies are Dolby Vision with Atmos.

OlderCoder

Auditioning
Real Name
Klueh
Thanks! I'll check that out. In the meantime, I'm happy to see that Amazon's Jack Ryan has Atmos, although I'm waiting for a plane to fly over so that I can 'experience' it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks