What's new

Receiver choices (1 Viewer)

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! I never thought I'd start a controversy with this thread. It sounds like I need to head over to Circuit
Sh!tty to listen the the Kenwood and the Onkyo. Problem is that the ones around here never have anything really set up for a demo. And sorry guys, I have the gift certificate, shipping is cheap, and I trust Crutchfield. I think I'll be buying from them.
~J

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I was hoping to be able to do a demo, but there are no dealers in the KC area besides Circuit City. Maybe I'll try taking a trip to Lawrence to Keifs.
------------------
~J

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
If your budget is strictly $300 then I'd recommend either Kenwood 507 or Harman Kardon 110
At this price range, audiophile standards need to be thrown out the window. Nobody buys--or nobody should buy--a pair of $800 speakers and hooks it up to a brand new $300 receiver. In addition, you run your speakers in SMALL and all the issues with power/bass are irrelevent. You run a center channel and imaging becomes less relevant (as long as you're using good speakers) because it's easier for 3 speakers--versus 2--to create a "realistic" soundstage.
You want bang for the buck and the Kenwood and HK offer that.
The harman kardon can be purchased for $300 at hifi.com. The kenwood is available virtually everywhere for $300.
They both have
plenty of inputs for expansion
good enough amps for 5 speakers (esp. if you run them SMALL, which basically DOUBLES amp power)
front-panel inputs
subwoofer/main crossover at 80 hz
Dolby Pro Logic II, although HK's version is the pre-Dolby-licensed variant known at Logic 7
2 year manufacturer's warranty
If you really feel the peer pressure to spend more is getting to you, call hifi.com and order an open-box Onkyo 595 receiver for $350 while they're still in stock. What really sucks in this hobby is people who can't believe good home theater can be had without having to spend a shietload of money. The choices in your budget aren't gonna impress those who know, but as long as you got a good all-around system set up and most importantly, good movies to watch and good company, then you'll be getting the most out of home theater.
Peace, and happy listening.

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
Phuong, thanks for your input. I hadn't thought about the power difference when considering the amps would not be asked to push large speakers. I think I am leaning towards the Kenwood. By the way, does anyone think there would not be a significant difference in power between the two; the Kenwood has 100 watts at .7% THD, whereas the Onkyo has 55 watts at .08%.
Everyone, thanks for your help.
~Jason

Andy_A

Second Unit
Go with the Onkyo or the Kenwood. Forget all that nonsense about problems with the VR-507. It is a solid performer. It will not "fry"--they'll guarantee that for two years. If their products consistently had problems, they wouldn't do that. My choice would probably be the Onkyo, though.

Vin

Supporting Actor
and can tell you from experience do not exclude the 507 from your audition list, I think it's a great receiver for the money.
Couldn't agree more Sean, and yes we're definitely in the minority when it comes to recommending Kenwood! I own the VR-507 and before that the VR-309 and can't say enough good things about these receivers......they offer a tremendous bang for your buck, IMO!
Also, with the Kenwood you'll get Circle Surround which I happen to like a lot for 2 channel sources....more so than DPL II as a matter of fact.
Jason, for $260 with your gift certificate from Crutchfield's, you can't possibly go wrong with VR-507!
Good luck and enjoy!
patriot.gif

------------------

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking Kenwood, mainly because it has good features, adn the Onkyo remote does not look very ergonomic and easy to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks