What's new

Need Advice on a new AV Receiver (1 Viewer)

289FIACobra

Agent
Real Name
Herman Hong
I have an older Onkyo TX-NR818 ( 10 years old ) and I recently bought a 4K BD/DVD Player to go with a 4K Samsung 65" I bought a year ago, wanted something to take advantage of the 4k setup.

The setup is in a room - 17.5 ft. W, x13 ft. D x 8.5 ft. H

The following speakers which are also as old as the current Onkyo:

Klipsch RF-82
Klipsch RC-52
Klipsch SW-110
(2) Tannoy 6P - these were free from my old company. They're both 6-ohm.

I do know the old Onkyo TX-NR818 was rated at 135w/Ch.

I've looked around a bit and was wondering if I could get away with either the Onkyo TX-NR6100/TX-NR6050 (Costco version) @ 90w/ch. or a Dennon AVR-S970h @ 80W/ch?
I've not kept up in the last 10 years on technology, so I'm hoping the smarter heads here can recommend an appropriate unit if not these two. I'm still looking at the hundreds of units out there and get's to be a bit of overload. If it looks like I'm on a budget, it's only because I don't know what will work with my current combination.
The primary use is for 4K (and 8k in the future) movies. I've never blasted the speakers (vol. level 60 on the Onkyo) for either movies or music. In the room it's in, it doesn't need it.

And while it's clear I have a 5.1 setup, the two choices reflect 7.1's but I may plan to add an ATMOS upgrade so I'm keeping my options opened for such an upgrade.

TIA,
Herman

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's been a lot of shake-up in receiver manufacturers the last several years, which has made me uneasy about several brands. At the moment, I only tend to be confident in Denon/Marantz and Yamaha. So I recommend sticking with one of those. If budget allows, I'd definitely get a 7.1 instead of 5.1, since it should have Atmos processing, which will be a benefit even if you don't use any overhead speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks