What's new

New AVR needed (1 Viewer)

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
I need some assistance. I currently have a good 7.2 surround system, but I feel my AVR is dated. Below I will list the build and that will hopefully give details to help the wiser ones than I to make some suggestions.

Onkyo TX-NR809
Parasound 2250 2ch amp
(2) RTi 12’s (L/R Towers)
(1) CSi 5 (center)
(4) FXia 6 (surround/rears)
(2) PSW505 subs
Newest gen Apple 4k TV

I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR809 and its been a great unit for years now. However, I think its limited on video output. After a good bit of reading, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t output 4k and certainly won’t do 4K 120 or 8K 60. If I move to a new AVR, it needs to be capable of having preouts so that I can run my amplifier. Any suggestions that won’t break the bank? I’d like to keep the price in the hundreds range if possible.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
First, do you need 4K 120 Hz or 8K? 120Hz is really only for high end gaming, and 8K as a genuine home format probably will never happen.

What model TV do you have?

Last edited:

snake

Agent
Real Name
Cliff
I have a 4K tv at the moment, but I will later upgrade the TV if 8K becomes a thing.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a 4K tv at the moment, but I will later upgrade the TV if 8K becomes a thing.
8K might become a marketing thing, but I seriously doubt it will ever become a viable or remotely sensible home video format. 4K is overkill already in most cases. So yeah, there are 8K TVs, but actual 8K video sources are simply not needed. I mean, unless you plan to have a 100" screen and sit five feet from it.

What I'm getting at is, most receivers from the last 5-6 years will have capability for 4K 60Hz, HDR10, DV, Atmos and DST:X, which is all you really will need for the foreseeable future. You said you want to keep the price in the hundreds. I'm just trying to help you maintain that goal. If you're also willing to go with certified refurb options, you have lots of them at $1K and under.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's a list I recently made for another thread...

The Denon ARV-X2700H doesn't have pre outs, so disregard that one. You have to go to the 3700 in the Denon line which is more expensive than the better Marantz models.

So, I'm a big bargain hunter and believer in certified refurbs, which A4L is a great source for.

going down what I see currently available...

Yamaha RX-A1080 is a solid value at $800

Denon AVR-X2700 is a more economical option at $650. (That one does NOT have pre-outs, so count it out.)

The Marantz SR6013 gets you the flexibility of 9.2 at $900

Or, go one model newer with the Marantz SR6014 at an even $1K.

I'm not sure there's a real-world difference between the SR6013 and SR6014, but $100 more for a newer model isn't a bad deal.

Personally, I'd probably lean toward one of the Marantz models. Thinking in the long term

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I need some assistance. I currently have a good 7.2 surround system, but I feel my AVR is dated. Below I will list the build and that will hopefully give details to help the wiser ones than I to make some suggestions.

Onkyo TX-NR809
Parasound 2250 2ch amp
(2) RTi 12’s (L/R Towers)
(1) CSi 5 (center)
(4) FXia 6 (surround/rears)
(2) PSW505 subs
Newest gen Apple 4k TV

I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR809 and its been a great unit for years now. However, I think its limited on video output. After a good bit of reading, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t output 4k and certainly won’t do 4K 120 or 8K 60. If I move to a new AVR, it needs to be capable of having preouts so that I can run my amplifier. Any suggestions that won’t break the bank? I’d like to keep the price in the hundreds range if possible.
My TX-NR809 is still running strong, in my bedroom system. No, it can't pass 4K signal, but you might be able to run a separate HDMI cable from your device to the TV. That's what I do with my Oppo 203 UHD player. I run one HDMI cable to my Denon AVR(which can't pass 4K) and another one to the Sony TV. Works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks