What's new

AVR settings on TV screen (1 Viewer)

Old Rocker

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Hi,
New here.

I like to keep things simple. My flat screen TV gets OTA channels via antenna, I have a few streaming apps on the TV, and a Blueray player connected to the TV. I also have a Denon AVR and a 5.1 system. Usually I just turn on the TV and watch what I described with the TV speakers.

When I want to play the TV through the Denon AVR, I simply just turn it on and mute the TV. The TV audio is connected to the AVR by an optical cable. Simple. :)

When I need to access the Denon's settings I switch the TV to an HDMI input. It then displays settings, and AVR volume changes, but I can not make changes while viewing the active program (I wouldn't hear the changes until I switched back to "TV"). Other settings available are Dolby, DTS, Stereo, etc. It would be nice to see the screen menus while viewing the program or movie.

My question is there a what to do what I am doing, watch what is on the TV, but also show the AVR settings and volume and other changes? Is there a way to make the AVR super impose over the current program on the TV?

Any ideas are appreciated. Maybe I am approaching this all wrong. Basically my TV does everything by itself, but sometimes I route the sound through the AVR. I know I can route external stuff like the BR player, but I don't know about OTA TV or the apps on the TV, so I am asking for your help.

Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hi,
New here.

I like to keep things simple. My flat screen TV gets OTA channels via antenna, I have a few streaming apps on the TV, and a Blueray player connected to the TV. I also have a Denon AVR and a 5.1 system. Usually I just turn on the TV and watch what I described with the TV speakers.

When I want to play the TV through the Denon AVR, I simply just turn it on and mute the TV. The TV audio is connected to the AVR by an optical cable. Simple. :)

When I need to access the Denon's settings I switch the TV to an HDMI input. It then displays settings, and AVR volume changes, but I can not make changes while viewing the active program (I wouldn't hear the changes until I switched back to "TV"). Other settings available are Dolby, DTS, Stereo, etc. It would be nice to see the screen menus while viewing the program or movie.

My question is there a what to do what I am doing, watch what is on the TV, but also show the AVR settings and volume and other changes? Is there a way to make the AVR super impose over the current program on the TV?

Any ideas are appreciated. Maybe I am approaching this all wrong. Basically my TV does everything by itself, but sometimes I route the sound through the AVR. I know I can route external stuff like the BR player, but I don't know about OTA TV or the apps on the TV, so I am asking for your help.

Thanks!
The receiver can only display information over a video signal that goes through it. So no, it is not possible for it to display anything over an image that comes from the TV itself, like OTA or apps, or anything connected to the hdmi inputs on the TV.

There's nothing you can do about OTA. That's just how that works, unless you bought an external OTA tuner. Ditto for the apps in the TV, but you can get a streaming device and run it through the receiver.

This is the inherent drawback to using the setup where you don't always have to turn on the receiver. It's just a reality of how this stuff works. We have to make that choice. In my case, and I do some OTA as well, I just always use the receiver for sound, and run everything I can through the receiver (I use a streaming device for streaming and apps), but that still doesn't give you a display with OTA.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Pretty much as @JohnRice said but, depending on the model of your Denon receiver, you might be able to access it's web GUI through a smartphone, tablet or PC if it's connected to your home network.

Old Rocker

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
There's nothing you can do about OTA. That's just how that works, unless you bought an external OTA tuner. Ditto for the apps in the TV, but you can get a streaming device and run it through the receiver.

This is the inherent drawback to using the setup where you don't always have to turn on the receiver. It's just a reality of how this stuff works.
Kindda what I thought. The way I have it is how I like it. The only thing I that I would really like to see is what sound mode (stereo, dolby, DTS), but I think it is not enough to change everything.

Thanks for your reply!

Old Rocker

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Pretty much as @JohnRice said but, depending on the model of your Denon receiver, you might be able to access it's web GUI through a smartphone, tablet or PC if it's connected to your home network.
Great idea. I use an app on my phone for my audio streamer, so maybe the Denon app will solve the settings issue. Worst case is I have to get up and view the small display on the AVR.

Thanks!

Dirttriker

Auditioning
Real Name
Billy
Hey there guys I'm getting myself dialed with the home theater system as well and it's funny cuz I ran across your guy's information I have a Harman kardon 2650 home theater AVR, The way mine is set up right now is exactly the same but I am going to get more information because apparently this isn't the case you can access the menu over anything that's on the TV it's just a matter of the correct connections, but I am questioning his email, I will update when I know more understanding and actual achievement 👌🏾

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks