What's new

Your top discs and disc distributor of 2023 (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I've bought fewer discs this year, but my top picks are:

4k: Ronin (Kino Lorber). Outstanding release of this classic film, if only all UHD discs could be this good.

Blu ray: Blonde Ice (ClassicFlix). Never expected this film to receive a blu ray release. ClassicFlix continue to surprise us with their choices.

Distributor: Kino Lorber. No other distributor comes close to KL for the quality and breadth of their releases. There has been something for everyone, and we know there is much to look forward to in 2024. Wish they would distribute to the UK though.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I think, in general, almost every release nowadays looks fantastic on my set-up. So many boutique labels are doing great work. Kino Lorber, Sony and Arrow Video are probably the most consistent for 4K UHD. I always know that a release from them is guaranteed to look fantastic on my projection set-up. Although there is grumbling about Criterion, I think their transfers look really good. Warner Archive never fail on blu-ray either. Indicator, Eureka, Flicker Alley, BFI, Vinegar Syndrome - all constantly deliver on blu-ray or 4K UHD.

It's probably easier to go for labels that are hit-or-miss. Paramount is probably the most inconsistent. Either their catalogue releases look very good, or they don't. Impossible to know in advance. There have been few truly terrible releases this year (at least out of what I have purchased). I don't tolerate DNR and was very disappointed by Universal's American Graffiti. That was a big surprise, considering that Universal have been releasing reference-quality masters both themselves and to Arrow Video for a long time. Second Sight's Picnic At Hanging Rock was also disappointing, considering that four other Peter Weir films released on 4K UHD this year were untampered with during the mastering process and consequently looked much better. However, Second Sight's Texas Chainsaw Massacre was probably the best catalogue release this year, so I forgive them that (release of the year probably a tie with Arrow Video's Hellraiser box, but I'm waiting for Severin Films 4-disc 4K UHD of The Psychic).

Shout! have had some fantastic releases this year: Natural Born Killers and Fargo, just to name two. No Platoon-like debacles this year from them!

On my set-up, Warner Bros. 4K UHD titles can look too dark - but the few titles they released on 4K UHD this year looked good. Terrible covers though. I've never really been that fussed about covers before, but this year, I made sure I purchased the UK versions of The Exorcist, The Color Purple and The Maltese Falcon, for the superior cover art.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...I don't tolerate DNR and was very disappointed by Universal's American Graffiti. That was a big surprise, considering that Universal have been releasing reference-quality masters both themselves and to Arrow Video for a long time. Second Sight's Picnic At Hanging Rock was also disappointing, considering that four other Peter Weir films released on 4K UHD this year were untampered with during the mastering process and consequently looked much better...
With those two, I think the blame rests squarely with the filmmakers, not the label.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Couldn't say on a disc...

Top Distributor is Kino with Warner Archive coming in a close second. No one else even comes close.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Most of my 2023 pickups have come from the many domestic and (mostly) UK boutiques. I think Kino tops my list in terms of the number of titles purchased, and that number would've been higher had there been a better balance between their "Golden Age" and more contemporary titles. Still, If I were to line up all my Kino titles together on my shelf, they would take up half the shelf. My Vinegar Syndrome purchases have bottomed out to just a handful of titles but they used to be tied with Arrow for second place. My Arrow pickups have increased, while Severin seems to be making something of a comeback this year. Their Black Friday lineup surpassed anything released by all the boutiques combined this year IMO. Superb slate.

The "majors" as I call them (they're not "labels", BTW) continue their sparse release output, which, to me, is of zero consequence. I don't care what they do so long as they keep licensing out to the boutiques. If I were to pick a favorite studio, I would choose SONY as their 4K discs are consistently high caliber. I just wish they were more active and focused a little less on re-releasing the same titles multiple times.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I've bought fewer discs this year, but my top picks are:

4k: Ronin (Kino Lorber). Outstanding release of this classic film, if only all UHD discs could be this good.

Blu ray: Blonde Ice (ClassicFlix). Never expected this film to receive a blu ray release. ClassicFlix continue to surprise us with their choices.

Distributor: Kino Lorber. No other distributor comes close to KL for the quality and breadth of their releases. There has been something for everyone, and we know there is much to look forward to in 2024. Wish they would distribute to the UK though.
Agree on Ronin KL UHD. Good stuff.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am thinking, in January, of doing an entire BEST OF and WORST of 2023 where members nominate the best and worst titles, studios, packaging, etc.

Been a few years since I have done this as interest declined over the years, but look for it possibly happening in the next few weeks.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I am thinking, in January, of doing an entire BEST OF and WORST of 2023 where members nominate the best and worst titles, studios, packaging, etc.

Been a few years since I have done this as interest declined over the years, but look for it possibly happening in the next few weeks.
A good idea.

Some potentially really good releases coming for December too so might be better to start it towards the end of January.

Gives people a bit more time to watch December releases (and wait for them to get shipped too) and make up their minds.

Will this just be for American releases?

4k is obviously zone/region free so might be a good idea to let members make their selections to releases in their own country.

Will also help sales too assuming the US does not get the same 4k release of any specific title released elsewhere.

Any thread that can help sell more discs sounds like a good idea to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks