What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Warner’s 2023 film adaptation of the Broadway musical version of The Color Purple arrives on 4K UHD Blu-ray.

The Color Purple (2023)

Released: 25 Dec 2023
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 141 min

Director: Blitz Bazawule
Genre: Drama, Musical

Cast: Fantasia Barrino, Taraji P. Henson, Danielle Brooks
Writer(s): Marcus Gardley, Alice Walker, Marsha Norman

Plot: A woman faces many hardships in her life, but ultimately finds extraordinary strength and hope in the unbreakable bonds of sisterhood.

IMDB rating: 6.9
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: Dolby Atmos, English 5.1...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
Interesting movie--- inasmuch as I saw it and cannot remember a frame of it. If it prompted the release on 4K of the 85 version, which I got, I am grateful to it for that alone.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A very honest review. Thank you. I received a Blu-ray as a review copy, and decided that without 4k, I wasn’t going there.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
A very honest review. Thank you. I received a Blu-ray as a review copy, and decided that without 4k, I wasn’t going there.
COLOR PURPLE is a magnificent film on every level. The care that went into its making shines through.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I share Todd’s sentiments on the film. It’s a superfluous production. The musical numbers just aren’t good enough or seamlessly integrated enough to justify their inclusion. Fantasia and Danielle Brooks are good, but Whoopi and Oprah were better, and the craft is lacking compared to the Spielberg film.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
This has to stand as one of the most unsuccessful adaptations of a Broadway musical to the screen. What may have worked on stage musically with stylized sets and lighting just bombs on the screen with realistic sets placed against modern style music and dancing. It just doesn't work. And Fantasia Berrino, great as she may have been on the stage, simply disappears in an almost inappropriately subdued performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks