What's new

Looking for New 65"/77" OLED Recommendations (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For people like us, I find it a much easier decision to justify than I used to. I mean, we spend untold amounts on content to watch (whether on disc, digital purchases, subscription streaming or some combination of those options), and we probably spend more time watching than the average viewer, so… why not?

For years in the standard definition era, I spent a disproportionate amount on things to watch and almost nothing on the TV I watched them on, using the high sticker price of better TVs as justification not to even consider it. And then one day I just had the epiphany that it made no sense to be collecting thousands of dollars worth of discs and tapes, my favorite hobby, and limiting my viewing of those things to a small TV I had bought in college just because “it still worked.”

My big ticket item wound up being a projector rather than a TV, but it’s the most I’ve ever sent on a single item with the exception of the engagement ring I had made for my wife. I’ve had it for nine years now and it’s the best “non-essential” purchase I’ve ever made. It’s the first time I didn’t go the bargain basement or used or refurbished or last year’s model route for home entertainment. It was great in those early years of marriage when our work schedules didn’t line up and I had time to watch a movie or two solo almost every night. It was great when the kids came along and I couldn’t get to theaters much. And it was invaluable during the height of the pandemic when there were no theaters to go to at all.

May you get many years of enjoyment out of your new set! :)
Thanks, Josh! I totally agree. I'm a bit different than you in that I've never been shy about buying gear for this hobby. I don't always get top-of-the-line, but I'm never too far from it. For me, the viewing experience has always been of the utmost importance, and this G3 is certainly scratching that itch. One day I'd absolutely love to have a nice projection set up and a dedicated home theater, and I plan on realizing that dream at some point, hopefully before my senses start deteriorating!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, as I am being lectured about the quality of home theater reproduction, I’d like to remind everyone that there are two major aspects to it, and I dare any of you to challenge me on the quality of the audio side of my system. :D

We all have to make decisions based on our personal priorities and budget.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I must’ve missed the lecture…

I’ve always been more a visual guy than an audio guy in terms of home theater, and unfortunately, that’s just been out of necessity for me. I’ve never had the opportunity to live in a space where I could set up an audio system where I didn’t have to contend with neighbors on top of me, roommates, or family. In my situation it’s just been much easier to focus on the visuals - me having a bigger screen doesn’t wake anyone up :)

Believe me, the dream is to one day have a permanent dwelling that can be appropriately soundproofed or treated so that I can enjoy an audio system to match the visuals. And you can rest assured I’ll be seeking your two cents when and if that day ever arrives :)

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, as I am being lectured about the quality of home theater reproduction, I’d like to remind everyone that there are two major aspects to it, and I dare any of you to challenge me on the quality of the audio side of my system. :D

We all have to make decisions based on our personal priorities and budget.
Absolutely. No one has said otherwise, and this IS a thread about an OLED display posted in the Displays Forum, after all. ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've found that the life cycle of ownership for the last few TVs that I bought to be around 3 years; although, the 77" galaxy TV that I bought a couple of years back might be around for a little longer since it was a hassle to hang on the wall and cost past 5 grand Canadian to purchase when it came out.

Edit: Tgat should have been gallery, not galaxy.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I want it all, but yeah, there are obstacles (as usual for the vast majority of us mere mortals, LOL).

I'm waiting for reasonably affordable OLED (or maybe Mini-LED) to get (at least close) to 120" *and* somehow be able to get into my HT space, LOL. Until that day, if it ever comes, I'll probably just stick w/ the best FP setup I can afford...

In the meantime, I may see if there are ways to improve my audio side given my current restrictions -- unfortunately, had to go backwards and downscale a whole lot from prior plans w/ almost no restrictions a couple years ago... and even left some very good gear (still) in storage... :huh:

Anyhoo, CONGRATS on the new display, Doug!

_Man_

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
@dpippel Doug I’m jealous. It’s tough buying the best one year and then waiting a few while others get their turn having all the fun :) enjoy it and never read another review and definitely no comparison videos, no matter what that flirt @Robert_Zohn posts :) I’m looking forward to my purchase of dual 97” g5s in 2025 :)

@JohnRice i give you permission to upgrade to a g3 too :)

Anyway, think ya all know I’ve got a catalog of ailments so I’m enjoying my systems while I can. It’s a fine line between being indulgent and being over the top but I think the g3 and similar models are well worth it for folks who are serious about their entertainment time. As I said if you break down the cost over lifetime it’s a small price to pay for what you get out of it.

Last edited:

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm going to be putting my 65" OLED65E6P up for sale this coming week, and I'm wondering what you all think a fair asking price would be. It really is as-new, with no burn-in and no stuck/dead pixels, and I pamper my gear, to a fault sometimes. I'm including the remote, user manual, and four pairs of 3D glasses. Any suggestions?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I gave away my plasmas to be used in kids bedrooms. I think first gen oleds would be nearing the same cut off point sadly. Maybe you could get $300 for it but anything more than that would probably be a stretch. I’d try Facebook marketplace first, that seems way more active than Craigslist near me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm going to be putting my 65" OLED65E6P up for sale this coming week, and I'm wondering what you all think a fair asking price would be. It really is as-new, with no burn-in and no stuck/dead pixels, and I pamper my gear, to a fault sometimes. I'm including the remote, user manual, and four pairs of 3D glasses. Any suggestions?

That’s really tough to say - because a 3D enthusiast might be willing to pay close to its original price for it, but no one else will. So it resells depends if you have the space to store it and time to wait it out for the right buyer, or just want to be done quickly. If you were local, I’d be giving you a call!

Would recommend checking on eBay for similar listings - but rather than doing a search for items on sale, do a search that instead shows recently sold items. That should give a ballpark idea of what people are currently paying.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So you're done with 3-D movies at home?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Oh and compared to owning a boat all of my hobbies are bargains! I do miss fluke fishing with Pappy tho!

No kidding! Cost of boats (and their maintenance/operations) seems absolutely bonkerzzz... even compared to owning real estate in NYC(!)... and you're not likely gonna live in your boat... although I suppose some owners might, LOL. Definitely makes me appreciate just sporadically paying affordably for a short tour/ride on vacays, etc...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks