What's new

Looking for New 65"/77" OLED Recommendations (2 Viewers)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm sorry to read about your issue with that new panel. It's a good thing that BB is taking care of it. How did you noticed that dead pixel? I do wonder how many people have displays that don't notice that defect?

Thanks, Robert. Finding a problem with something this new, big, and expensive was indeed a bit stressful. I noticed it when I was installing a Bluetooth transmitter for my AVR behind the TV and had the LG Home menu up. There was an app icon in the lower right corner of the display - white background with a red logo - and I noticed the dead pixel in the white portion. At first, I thought it was just a bit of dust on the glass but soon discovered otherwise when I tried to wipe it off with a microfiber cloth. I threw up a solid white frame on the panel and inspected the rest of it carefully. It's just the one dead pixel, but as Josh and others mentioned this is a $5K TV, and who knows if that one issue will get worse or not. Easier for me to get a replacement now while I still can rather than leave it and possibly have to deal with LG later, and their warranty may not even cover a single-pixel defect.

I also wonder how many TVs these days have dead pixels that go unnoticed. A stuck pixel is easy to spot because it's always on, but I think dead ones are a bit tougher unless you're actively looking for them or you just happen to notice, as I did.

IMG_9358.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Think you made the right choice in returning the display, @dpippel . Once you see that dead pixel, you will never be able to unsee it. Better to get it dealt with while you are in the return window.

Our old Samsung DLP RPTV developed a stuck pixel after several years of use. Whenever there was a black background, a tiny white spot would appear near the center of the screen. My eyes would constantly lock on to that white spot. It was a major distraction. It did give me an excuse to upgrade to a 4K display, though. :D

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Think you made the right choice in returning the display, @dpippel . Once you see that dead pixel, you will never be able to unsee it. Better to get it dealt with while you are in the return window.

Our old Samsung DLP RPTV developed a stuck pixel after several years of use. Whenever there was a black background, a tiny white spot would appear near the center of the screen. My eyes would constantly lock on to that white spot. It was a major distraction. It did give me an excuse to upgrade to a 4K display, though. :D

HA! A silver lining. ;) I think I'm doing the right thing too. As I mentioned previously though, it puts me back in the position of playing the panel lottery again. There's always the possibility that the replacement will have issues as well. My fingers are crossed!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remember it was four trips to Toys ‘R Us back in ‘89 to finally get a Batwing that worked - may you have better luck faster! :)

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's dedication! Glad you were finally able to get a working one. I'll bet that Batwing didn't weigh 80 pounds though, so I really appreciate your wish for better luck, Josh.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's dedication! Glad you were finally able to get a working one. I'll bet that Batwing didn't weigh 80 pounds though, so I really appreciate your wish for better luck, Josh.
In regard to your display, it's more difficult to deal with boxing it again because of the dimensions more than the weight.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

It didn’t weight 80 pounds but on the other hand at that age getting a parent to drive me to a store was probably the child’s equivalent of an 80 pound lift. :D

I’m glad to hear Best Buy is doing a nice job with the replacement - my last TV I specifically got from them because of the free delivery and pickup in the event of an issue, I realized life was too short for trying to borrow a bigger car to return a TV if that ever happened, so that sort of confirms that it was a sound strategy.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In regard to your display, it's more difficult to deal with boxing it again because of the dimensions more than the weight.
Well, having just unpacked this beast a few days ago I can say from first-hand experience that it's both. The size is certainly a big factor, but if this panel only weighed 40 pounds instead of 80 it would be a lot easier to handle. As it is it requires two people. Thank goodness my wife is game! ;)

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, this G3 appears to be a keeper! I just got done taking care of the various picture mode settings and it looks FABULOUS. I also did a panel uniformity check and it's very homogenous. I'm running some 4K YouTube eye candy videos for the rest of the afternoon to get some hours on it and help get it burned in.

I have to say that I'm relieved I don't have to do another TV swap, and to add a cherry on top I sold my E6P on eBay this afternoon for $1,075. I certainly wasn't expecting the auction to run that high, but I'm not complaining! The buyer is driving 11 hours each way from Cali to pick it up. He REALLY wanted it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks