What's new

Looking for TV recommendations in the 65 to 75" range (1 Viewer)

Damon Miller

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
About 5 years ago I bought a Vizio (I know) P55F1 that was recommended by Wirecutter. The backlights have been failing (strobing) for several years, but since I just bought and remodeled a home, I had other priorities. I am now looking for a new 4K TV in the 65 to 65" range, thinking maybe OLED. Not dumb enough to go Vizio again... Thinking LG or Samsung, leaning towards the LG as I think Dolby Vision is a must, right? Am I on the right track? What's the conventional HTF wisdom these days?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
LG has a lot of great options in OLEDs. And yes, I think DV is a must, especially if you get an OLED.

BTW, there was nothing wrong with buying a Vizio five years ago. At that time, they were the clear favorite in budget premium, like the P Series. They no longer are, but that has no bearing on what was a good choice five years ago.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
All of the current model year OLED TVs are excellent.

Of the two brands you selected, LG's C3 & G3Gallery Series MLA OLED TV, and Sony's A80L & A95L Master Series QD OLED TVs are all excellent choices at each of their price categories.

Other advice is to go with a 65". The largest screen gives you the most important enhancement and that is the "Immersive Experiences" when watching any content.

Hope this helps and look forward to other comments and your thoughts.

YANG

Screenwriter
first thing first, have an approximate judgement on how much your eyes to screen distance will be, that would determine how much percent you would able to gain visually to mirror how a movie is presented in cinema, then to your own mini-cinema when you're watching different content.

next, should you're watching "universal aspect ratio" content more frequent than movies shot in scope, presented in scope aspect ratio, you shouldn't go for bigger sized ones where the bright light from the big panel will cause discomfort to your DAILY vision, should your viewing content is going to be 90% "fill screen".
lemme give you an example. i own both 75inch and 50inch TVs. both setup to one another face to face, where in the middle will have a chair on a round carpet that measures about 2meter(umm... 6.75ft?) in diameter, away from 2 TV consoles about 15cm(0.5ft) each.
during the weekend, where my "movie collection review day" falls, i would turn the carpet with the chair(placed on the edge) away from the daily driver which is the 50incher that's only used to play YouTube contents and most public broadcast contents where i would be comfortable with to my sight, the 75incher that plays mostly wider screen movies like those presented in 2.35~2.76:1 aspect ratio to achieve the picture height that would be a section of a thumb high when measured to the picture height of the 50incher. 1.78~1.95:1 contents will be played thru 4.3:1 letterbox, 2.0:1 contents with 14:9 letterbox. non-anamorphic transfer contents will be played thru the player that is to out put in 4.3:1 letterbox settings.
sometime, during the weekend should i feel i want to let my disc players have a rest, i would switch to a settop box that is setup to put out in 4.3:1 letterbox, such that the black bars on top and bottom of the picture of the 75incher, would look "consistently" thick with little visually detectable difference.

width of a display determines your visual gain on cinematic presentation, while the height will have great effect on your eye comfortness when the picture content fills up the screen. both width and height determines the size and distance where your sweetspot is which will pair up one another well. thru my experience, a 50~55inch will be comfortable to me from a 2.1meter eye to screen distance that in calculation if using ratio will comes to 33cm(~1ft):10inch, leaving 5inch as small percentage visual gain. however, a 2.35~2.76:1 content on a 50~55inch display would feel "crippled" to me.

YANG

Screenwriter
for reference...
733f77a8dec5590a0666691e9ed3d784972c036b.jpeg

...picture taken from IKEA showcasing how their 1.8m(6ft) TV console would accommodate different size displays. although the maximum size is shown to be 65”, 77” is the maximum possible.
the “measurement board” shall give you an idea how the black bar thickness will be, if WS2.35:1 content is played in a 75” display.​

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This is easily fixable with a patch software (firmware update)...
True, but a number of other sets have issues with Dolby Vision being either too bright or too dark or too green etc. The point being, I wouldn’t view its exclusion being any kind of deal breaker.

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
True, but a number of other sets have issues with Dolby Vision being either too bright or too dark or too green etc. The point being, I wouldn’t view its exclusion being any kind of deal breaker.
My Hisense PJ has issues with DV (Dark mode) when using their own Disney+ app, but unfortunately, I cannot update it myself. I have emailed Hisense (Australia) about the issue, but they didn't seem to care at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks