What's new

65 inch OLED TV or 75 inch Regular LED? (1 Viewer)

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
A brief background. Started with a 42 inch Panasonic 720p plasma TV 14 years ago. I really like the colour on it even though just 720p. The 42 inch is now in the living room upstairs. A few years ago I bought a Vizio M series, 60 inch 4k. It is in my basement with a KEF 5.1 speaker setup where I spend a lot of TV time. My plan is to bring the 60 inch Vizio upstairs to replace the 42 inch and get a new TV for the basement where I play a lot of CDs and movies. I just bought a Sony X800M2 4k Blu-ray player last month so I can now buy Ultra HD movies and upscale my regular Blu-rays. My 4k Vizio does not do HDR. Decent enough picture but limited by 2015 technology.

I do not do any gaming, and most of my TV watching downstairs is hockey and football and movies. Upstairs maybe watching the odd game show and the news. I doubt I will buy more speakers. Might eventually upgrade my Denon 2311 AVR.

I have been relatively happy with the size of the 60 inch TV, but if upgrading could go a little bigger. My budget would fit a 65 inch OLED (maybe like LG B2 or C2, or Sony A80K) or instead I could go with a 75 inch non OLED (no particular models in mind yet). My basement setup is pretty dark with just a small window with curtains. I am approaching seventy and could move to smaller place should my wife’s or my health change so I don’t want to go over the 75 inch size. Any suggestions?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Completely a personal-taste decision. What’s more enjoyable for you: bigger picture or better HDR?

I’d go with the 75” LCD over a 65” OLED. An appreciably bigger picture from a 60” set is more immersive to me over a small-for-2022-65” but optimal contrast and HDR from OLED.

Follow your heart ❤️ :)

YANG

Screenwriter
75” regular FALD ledTV can be much cheaper than 65” OLED depending on internal specifications of hardware.
for better comparison, 75” miniLED TV is priced slightly close to 65” OLED TV and that should roughly comes to the budget u set, and choice to make on.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I am about your age, and had recently decided to move my terrific Sony 65” Z9D to the den for daily watching. The choice for the larger living room home theater (larger speakers, Dolby Atmos) was narrowed down to among the current LG C2 77” or last year’s (‘21) Sony Z9J (which I’d waited to go on clearance), and lastly Sony X95K with new the mini-LED display, which would’ve been priced similarly to the clearance Z9J, both 75”. I’ve been so impressed with my Sony I tilted to the Z9J. I don’t watch much sports, but I do watch some cable news in the den, which runs chyrons at the bottom of the screen, and though my understanding is the issues have been mitigated with OLED, I was still leery of burn-in, as was pervasive on the otherwise great looking plasma displays in days of yore. I know there are absolute blacks with OLED, but I swear with the new LEDs it’s really close compared to just a couple of models back. To offset any concerns, the LEDs can have much higher peak brightness measured in nits.
Either way this doesn’t sound like much of a concern with your set up with controlled ambient light. I don’t think you could go wrong with any of the choices, but I can say just going from a 65 to a 75 makes a fair size difference in impact, especially watching epic films or sci fi titles with complex special effects. Watching the newly remastered director’s cut of STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE in 4K was incredibly impressive. Likewise finally watching the 4K LAWRENCE OF ARABIA discs came as close to perfection as home theater can get.
It’s really hard to make comparisons in stores under compromised (to say the least) conditions. But my take is get the largest screen size for your budget from the top brands (I excluded Samsung from consideration since they do not currently support Dolby Vision, but they do in fairness have excellent looking models at the top of their line).
Once you do decide, just set it up and enjoy and don’t second guess your decision. It in all probably won’t have been in any reasonable way wrong.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Another vote for larger size. Going from 60" to 65" is a fairly minor difference. Going from 60 to 75 is huge.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I'll say this, make sure to check out rtings.com to see actual test measurements. It's very helpful.

I've went from a 47" to a 55", then a 55" to a 65". Both were great size increases and I wouldn't ever want to go back down. My living room isn't large so the 65" works great and its a good fit.

I wasn't comfortable with OLED because of burn in, image retention, brighteness limiters, and low overall brightness. The things that kept me from liking Plasma.

With my television which is full array with 60 dimming zones, I have near perfect black levels and never notice any local dimming artifacts. If I looked for them, maybe on a special movie I could find some, but never seen them. So as far as black levels, I'm very happy.

I also like the brightness for HDR with a LED TV. While my TV isn't the brightest, it can get very bright making HDR movies look great. OLED doesn't get as bright as LED so you won't have as good HDR brightness output. Obviously OLED won't be as good in a bright room either but that doesn't matter for a basement living area.

OLED has smoother motion, if you notice it at all, which would be better with your games. Also OLED has wider viewing angles for off center seating but my TV still looks great to the sides as well. It's a personal call.

There's other downfalls to OLED and doing a google search will tell the tale. The downfalls of LED are well known.

Just watch out for 75" panels as they can be different from smaller panels. Some makers use VA panels for the 'normal' size TVs and use IPS panels for their 75" TV. IPS has better wide viewing angles but terrible black levels next to a VA panel. Even with local dimming, you'll be hard to get a true black screen. Rtings.com can help you to know this as they list differences between sizes.

If money isn't a concern, I know many people are happy with their Sony TVs. Some models are only IPS panels and other models are VA panels. Try to stick to a VA panel for the best true blacks if side viewing isn't a concern.

Good luck

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is often the problem. People tend to want you to get what they have, and to have the same priorities.

So, here are some basic things. Any mid level QLED will, in general, have a better image than anything that was even possible 6-8 years ago. What might not be as good are image quality far off center, or artifacts of fast moving images. What will be better is virtually everything else. In a light controlled room, such as you have, OLED is probably the least compromised of all options. Just keep in mind it's probably good to avoid long, static images, like tickers at the bottom. It's probably also good not to crank up the brightness too much. That is just to extend the life of the panel as much as possible. They also will have a perfect image from any angle and won't have trouble with fast moving images.

Having said that, if you're OK with a bit less wide viewing area and the possibility of some artifacts with fast moving images, you can get a lot more for your money with a good QLED. Just make sure it's a full LED array, not edge illuminated, and has a good number of zones. Unfortunately, manufacturers don't seem to reveal that stat any more. Maybe they've generally gotten to where it's not a factor. My 65" P Series has 280 zones, which seems more than adequate. There are times I see the dimming happen, but generally only during rolling credits, or with SciFi movies with ships in space with stars.

I'm not a fan of enormous images. The bigger the image, the more anything less than perfect shows up. The 65" is really all I want in my HT. When I'm engrossed in a movie, I'm engrossed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is often the problem. People tend to want you to get what they have, and to have the same priorities.
Not I, my recommendation is the larger screen which isn't an OLED. I don't have a 75" screen and my displays are LG OLEDs at 65" and 55".:)

YANG

Screenwriter
i've overlooked OP's initial post that his "new replacement" display would be for the basement, that i made that suggestion that he should go for miniLED makes @ 75inch. my fault. but i'm just trying to bring out what's really hiding behind the worth. more monies spent on premium tech product, or achievable goals of bigger presentation size with slightly affordable budget?

anyway... i'm just trying to input some $ense here such that OP can make a better decision on his own.

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
I am appreciating all the suggestions. My viewing distance is quite flexible in basement setup. Could be anything from 5 feet to 15 feet. Just have to move the three seat recliners.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
If you’re inclined to sit close enough, you might be able to see the true difference UHD makes, which is less discernible across an expanse. I’d go with the largest and highest end model unit affordable from whichever manufacturer you prefer.

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
So I have decided to go with the OLED 65 inch LG C2 or Sony A80K. I see little difference viewing in-store. The LG is $100 Canadian less ($74 U.S. less) than the Sony.

With that minimal difference, price is not the deciding factor. I have studied reviews on-line comparing the two but I don't see a strong overwhelming winner. I am hoping a few people here have purchased one of these in any size and can say how they like it, or perhaps have done more research than me and can provide some points of view I have not considered. If Santa were dropping off one of these two TVs at your house which would you choose and why? I hope to decide in the next couple days. Please do not suggest alternate models or sizes as it was difficult enough narrowing it down to these two.

Again, as a reminder, not used for gaming and will be set up with a 5.1 KEF speaker system in a fairly dark basement.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’d probably go with the LG C2, at a quick look.
As for other, non-QD-OLED models from Sony, the company added a more affordable A80K Series this year that looks promising on paper: It’s right in line with LG’s C2 in price, though it’s available in fewer screen sizes. According to reviews, however, the A80K boasts similar brightness to 2021’s LG C1, giving it slightly worse price-to-performance prospects than the C2. Videophiles should also be aware that the A80K lacks the Filmmaker Mode for movie accuracy, though those who prefer the Google TV smart platform over LG’s WebOS may happily make the trade anyway. That said, we may still test the A80K at a later date.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’d probably go with the LG C2, at a quick look.

I agree with Dave, if I had to choose between the two OLEDs, I would choose the LG C2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks