What's new

Looking for New 65"/77" OLED Recommendations (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Hey everybody! I currently own a 65" LG OLED65E6P that I purchased new in 2016. This display has been fantastic and still looks great today with zero burn-in. However, seeing as this is one of the last 3D-capable OLEDs from LG and I am *not* viewing 3D content at all anymore, I'm thinking about getting a new 4K panel and selling this one to someone who can take advantage of it fully. Plus, it's been 7 years and I think it's time for a new TV.

I've been out of the display shopping market for years and haven't been keeping track of tech advances much at all. So I'm here to beg for some guidance on choosing a new panel. Of course, I want the best, but whether or not I can justify spending the money for top-of-the-line is another thing entirely. ;) If you had a budget of $2K-$3K and were in the market for a new 65" or 77" OLED panel, what would you buy, and why? I'd prefer a 77", but if I have to go with a 65" to get the cool tech for a reasonable price I'm willing to stick with that size. If there have been any LED advances that put them close to OLED performance I'm willing to consider them as well. I'd love to hear some opinions.

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Once you've been spoiled by a very good emissive display technology like LG's E6 OLED TV it's hard to move to a transmissive display technology. However, with that said I am loving Samsung's new 2023 QN95C QD MiniLED TV.

Here's my favorite new 65" class 2023 TVs that are available to purchase now.

OLED TVs:

- LG 65G3 Gallery Series OLED TV $3,299
- Samsung 65S95C QD OLED TV $3,299

MiniLED TVs:
- Sony 65X93L $2,199
- Samsung 65QN95C $3,299

The best 2022 65" TV is Sony's 65A95K QD OLED TV $2,799.

Other excellent 2023 TV OLED TVs that will launch shortly are:

- Sony's 65A80L OLED TV $2,599
- Sony 65" A95L Master Series QD OLED TV Price mid July

I only listed MSRP and all of the prices include delivery to your home and we have an aggressive launch promotion on each brand/model. So check with your favorite :) authorized dealer for their best offer.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the info, @Robert! Your list gives me a good starting point for sure. How about 77" class panels? Is there anything I should be considering?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I have the same 65" LG OLED65E6P as Doug and will be upgrading my display later this year. I'm 99% certain that it's going to be LG 77G3 Gallery Series OLED TV.
That sounds like a great decision, Robert. I'd love to do the same, but the price tag on that 77" G3 is probably more than I'd like to spend. If I go with a 77" panel I'll have to go with one of its less expensive siblings.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That sounds like a great decision, Robert. I'd love to do the same, but the price tag on that 77" G3 is probably more than I'd like to spend. If I go with a 77" panel I'll have to go with one of its less expensive siblings.
Take a look at 77" G2 or C2 or C3 which is $3499.99 at Best Buy.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Once you've been spoiled by a very good emissive display technology like LG's E6 OLED TV it's hard to move to a transmissive display technology. However, with that said I am loving Samsung's new 2023 QN95C QD MiniLED TV.

Here's my favorite new 65" class 2023 TVs that are available to purchase now.

OLED TVs:

- LG 65G3 Gallery Series OLED TV $3,299
- Samsung 65S95C QD OLED TV $3,299

MiniLED TVs:
- Sony 65X93L $2,199
- Samsung 65QN95C $3,299

The best 2022 65" TV is Sony's 65A95K QD OLED TV $2,799.

Other excellent 2023 TV OLED TVs that will launch shortly are:

- Sony's 65A80L OLED TV $2,599
- Sony 65" A95L Master Series QD OLED TV Price mid July

I only listed MSRP and all of the prices include delivery to your home and we have an aggressive launch promotion on each brand/model. So check with your favorite :) authorized dealer for their best offer.
Robert, I was also looking at the 77" LG C3. Can you tell me what extra goodies the 77" G3 offers over the C3 to justify its $1K higher price?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
For the 2023 model year LG upgraded the LG G3 to include Micro Lens Array (MLA) with greatly increases the peak luminance and all of the color volume as the 33 million Micro Lenses are positioned in-front of all of the sub RGB pixels.

As with previous years the G Gallery Series has a very slim design with the built-in no gap wall mount and the heat sync that cools the OLED module so they new a9 Gen 6 processor can drive the panel harder to delivery the brighter picture.

The G3 also includes LG's 5 year warranty on the OLED panel.

LG's new 2023 C3 is a very good choice, but not as bright as the G3 and just the standard 1 year warranty for all parts and labor. Also if you plan on wall mounting the G3's low profile look when wall mounted has a modern and minimalist look.

For the 2022 G2 you would be giving up the MLA advantage and the a9 Gen 6 SoC processor upgrade. We have LG's 2022 G2 is on a very aggressive close-out price $3,399. which is lower than the big box stores.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For the 2023 model year LG upgraded the LG G3 to include Micro Lens Array (MLA) with greatly increases the peak luminance and all of the color volume as the 33 million Micro Lenses are positioned in-front of all of the sub RGB pixels.

As with previous years the G Gallery Series has a very slim design with the built-in no gap wall mount and the heat sync that cools the OLED module so they new a9 Gen 6 processor can drive the panel harder to delivery the brighter picture.

The G3 also includes LG's 5 year warranty on the OLED panel.

LG's new 2023 C3 is a very good choice, but not as bright as the G3 and just the standard 1 year warranty for all parts and labor. Also if you plan on wall mounting the G3's low profile look when wall mounted has a modern and minimalist look.

For the 2022 G2 you would be giving up the MLA advantage and the a9 Gen 6 SoC processor upgrade. We have LG's 2022 G2 is on a very aggressive close-out price $3,399. which is lower than the big box stores.
Thanks Robert! I should have watched the videos that Robert Crawford posted before I asked you, and I appreciate the info. I would probably have to choose between the 65" G3 and the 77" C3. Latest and greatest tech on the G3 vs. better immersion with the larger C3 panel. And while I understand the reason, it does bug me a bit that if I want a stand for the G3 I have to buy one since it's not included. For a $3300 display, you'd think LG could have provided the customer with one. Do you know how much a stand would set me back?

Hmmm...

Last edited:

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If you keep your display for 8-9 years then the price difference to get an lg77g3 with MLA is literally in the noise. If I was buying a 2023 tv it’s the one I would get. It’s a pill to swallow up front but such a sweet sweeeeet pill
You're evil, Sam! E-V-I-L. But you make sense. It's true that if you spread the additional cost across the lifespan of the display (provided nothing goes wrong with it, of course), it's not much of a bump. However, in the end, a thousand bucks is still a thousand bucks. There's just no way around that fact.

The question I have to ask myself is, would buying the 77" C3 cause me to regret NOT going the extra mile and getting the 77" G3 instead? Would I always be wondering "What if?" That's hard to determine.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Talking with Robert is my plan. The only issue I have with buying from Value is the distance involved. The inherent risk in shipping such a large display all the way across the country from New York to Arizona is a consideration, and if the unit has to go back for any reason I'd have to pack it all up suitably and return ship it. That's not something I'd look forward to dealing with. A local purchase would be far less of a gamble in that respect.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've been shopping around, looking at deals/pricing, and if I go for the 77" G3 so far Best Buy is the winner. They have it in stock locally, I can pick the TV up or have it delivered for free, I get 24 months of 0% interest financing or 10% back in BB Rewards points if I apply for the My Best Buy Citi card and use it for the purchase, and they throw in the LG OLED83G3PUA/OLED77G3PUA Stand and Back Cover for free.

Man, I *am* tempted...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Talking with Robert is my plan. The only issue I have with buying from Value is the distance involved. The inherent risk in shipping such a large display all the way across the country from New York to Arizona is a consideration, and if the unit has to go back for any reason I'd have to pack it all up suitably and return ship it. That's not something I'd look forward to dealing with. A local purchase would be far less of a gamble in that respect.
I think he has the capability to drop ship from vendor warehouses. Ask about that!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you keep your display for 8-9 years then the price difference to get an lg77g3 with MLA is literally in the noise. If I was buying a 2023 tv it’s the one I would get. It’s a pill to swallow up front but such a sweet sweeeeet pill
This one?

A friend's two year old Sony died from a lightning strike and needs a new TV.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks